PDA

View Full Version : New Style Lee Mold Handle Pin Fell Out

30yrcaster
04-11-2014, 07:23 AM
We just got a new style Lee 2 cavity mold and during a casting session one of the handle pins fell out. Our day was done as it took over an hour to find the pin. Both pins stick out about a 1/16 of an inch and can't screw them in any farther to stake them in.

Are they supposed to stick out? Their old (proven) design molds have a pin without the allen key head sit below flush and are staked in with a flat punch. Seems silly to pay $12 shipping to send it back to them when just got it and only cost $20.

Thanks

Short Range
04-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Had the same thing happen a couple of times. There may be a better way of doing things, but I just tapped the pin down flush with a pin punch and they are still holding.

gray wolf
04-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Believe it or not, I use titebond wood glue for my handle repairs and it works dandy.
I also replace any loose pins with the next size larger finishing nail, cut it to length, put a slight bend in it and rivet face the ends. Done, 5 minutes and no send back, no postage, and the goods don't go up in cost from all the send backs.

I am a firm believer in quality control, and yes I believe we should get what we pay for.
But some things are just not going to change, in this day and age it's advantageous to be a little handy.

That's not a slam on anyone, it's just how it is.

DLCTEX
04-12-2014, 12:53 AM
You are talking about the srew that holds the handles to the mould blocks, are you not? If so, read the thread above about heating th block with a torch to r&r the screws.

Buckshot
04-12-2014, 02:15 AM
..............The items in question aren't really screws but 'Drive Rivets'. The 3/32 hex head is there only as a guide for the punch used to drive them into place. The very shallow thread pitch is there only to displace aluminum as they are driven into the hole in the blocks.

................Buckshot