PDA

View Full Version : Test bed for .308?

phaux
04-11-2014, 04:01 AM
Not sure if this is the correct sub forum but...

What do yall use/recommend for a test bed for testing unknown/experimental .308 rounds? I need something pretty much indestructible and in the event it does destroy itself it does so in a manner that is least/expected destruction. I was thinking a Mauser of some sort rebarreled in .308

Tatume
04-11-2014, 07:07 AM
When I was asked to test 720 grain 458 bullets I chose the Ruger No. 1 in 458 Win Mag for the test rifle. They are as strong as bank vaults.

cbrick
04-11-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm curious what it is that you plan on testing that you think you may destroy the rifle? Use book starting loads and work up to a safe maximum and your accuracy load will be in there for that boolit load combo.

I've been loading/casting for decades, load for at least 30 calibers and have yet to blow up a gun. Please explain what it is you plan on doing?

Rick

Pb2au
04-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Agreed. This seems a bit odd. More information would be very helpful.

gray wolf
04-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Agreed. This seems a bit odd. More information would be very helpful.
Sometimes questions are asked in a way that makes them difficult to answer.
Especially when the words DESTROY, and destruction are part of the post.
Testing loads that have the potential to be dangerous should be done in a controlled environment with the proper equipment. At the very least all details should be included.

Blammer
04-11-2014, 08:51 AM
There is a company, place, you can send your test ammo to and they will pressure test it for you.
I forget the name of it at the moment; perhaps someone here can remember it.

phaux
04-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Well, I've come into a very large amount of reloaded ammo. The individual who I got them from knew his stuff, but just to make sure I would like to test and chrono a few rounds. I know it sounds like the potential to be dangerous, but I don't want to hand pull thousands and thousands of rounds. Unless, there's a place you can send them to be air pulled for cheap....?

Blammer
04-11-2014, 09:04 AM
ah.....

Were there very good load notes for the ammo?

I would cross reference the load recipe to a few books and see where it stands. If the loads are in the TOP end range of load data, I would be very wary and likely pull them as they could have been set up for a particular rifle/firearm.

If they are mid range loads, I would be less likely to worry.

cbrick
04-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Ah, I see. Yeah, someone else's reloads tend to make my palms sweating too. Sounds like you know the individual, could you get the load data from him? That would help a bunch. Get all the info you can including loading practices and what type of press etc.

Rick

gray wolf
04-11-2014, 09:23 AM
What good is all the data ? what good is knowing the person was a nice guy ?
How are you going to test every round ? It only takes one mistake, and the odds go up as the numbers go up.
Sometimes a diamond for a Dime, is only worth 10 cents.
JMHO

Bigslug
04-11-2014, 09:27 AM
If a round has the potential to blow up the rifle I'm behind, I want to be behind a Remington 700. I've seen a custom one that was accidentally loaded with a full case of pistol powder. Pressure was probably in excess of 100,000 psi. It liquefied the brass and blew it back through the cocking piece. Thankfully, the operator was wearing serious safety glasses, so all he got was some really ugly freckles. The recess at the front of the bolt face was flattened and the receiver-to-barrel threads were. . .interesting, to say the least, but the gun DID NOT blow up.

phaux
04-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Well said inidiviual is no longer around and there are no load notes found as of yet, so....

I have one idea of what I may do with them.. Otherwise are there any businesses yall know of that demil ammo or what all is entailed for setting up an automated bullet puller/air puller? I'm sure more than I can afford but just a thought

mikeym1a
04-11-2014, 09:40 AM
If all the loads are in .308, then you might try and get a surplus Chilean Mauser Mod 1895. They were rebarreled by the Chilean govt for their troops. I just got one, and the barrel is in really good shape. Build yourself a really good shooting table and rifle stand. Pack sandbags around it, and have a really long string, or a remote electronic trigger actuator. The '95 is a right strong action, and if it holds up to those cartridges, the should be alright in anything else. That's what I would do.

gmsharps
04-11-2014, 09:43 AM
You have a great deal. You received components for free. Pull the bullets dump the powder,what you have left is primed cases and free bullets, you just add the correct powder, reseat the bullets and there ya go. Just because you have thousands doesn't mean you have to do them all at once. I would like to have such friends. just sayin

gmsharps

rsrocket1
04-11-2014, 10:33 AM
You don't need to hand pull thousands of rounds all at once. Just pull the ones you want to use when you need to use them. You aren't going to shoot more than a couple hundred in a single session so why not start with just a couple hundred. It will only take a few seconds to pound out a bullet and empty the powder, even less with a collet puller.

You should read up on all the kabooms stories where a handloader accidentally filled up a rifle case with the wrong powder.

It only takes one and you never know which one.

Larry Gibson
04-11-2014, 02:32 PM
phaux

Hand select 20+ rounds from each lot (if there are different loads), pull the bullets and weight the powder charges for consistency. You may also be able to get an idea of what the powder type and burn rate is by the appearance. A good close up photo with info of on the components here might help. If the charges are consistent and with what should be in a .308W then any bolt action modern .308W rifle will be as safe as any other.

If the rounds appear ok then simply hold the rifle at arms length with the off hand on the butt out away from you and fire them. Eye and face protection might be useful or you can simply look away when you fire the rifle. Look for any of the usual high pressure signs starting with bolt lift and inspect each fired cartridge carefully before firing the next. Measuring the web expansion after firing can be a useful indicator also.

Over the years I've shot up a lot of others handloads and never had a problem with any using the above method. I've only found one load that was questionable and only then because it was on gr over max for an '06 but the ammo was ok in modern bolt actions. Most all the rest of the ammo was actually underloaded.

Larry Gibson

Pb2au
04-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Pretty much what Larry said. Most modern bolt actions are made of pretty stern stuff. Just pull some of them down and get an idea of how they were loaded.
Or, if you still have some apprehension, just pull them down in manageable lots at a time. As the others said, you have a lot of free components at hand.

dverna
04-11-2014, 07:57 PM
I have shot other people's reloads. Only people I know really well and have shot with for a long time. You get to know those who push the limits and those who are safe.

Without that level of comfort, I would pull the bullets and dump the powder. I know powder is expensive but it is cheap compared to the possible bad side effects,

Don Verna

plainsman456
04-11-2014, 08:22 PM
I was thinking along the lines that Larry said.

Just pull some and weight the powder and find out what weight the bullets are.

It should give you an idea if they all need to be pulled.

williamwaco
04-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Well, I've come into a very large amount of reloaded ammo. The individual who I got them from knew his stuff, but just to make sure I would like to test and chrono a few rounds. I know it sounds like the potential to be dangerous, but I don't want to hand pull thousands and thousands of rounds. Unless, there's a place you can send them to be air pulled for cheap....?

You cannot test them all.

If you test a dozen, you will learn exactly the same thing as if you disassemble a dozen and weigh the charges.
(Unless you don't know the powder)

If you don't know the powder, and don't trust the reloader, don't shoot them, IN ANYTHING.

If you are worried about the loads destroying your rifle, you will not be able to hit anything with them anyway.

jsizemore
04-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I do like LG and take down a few rounds and try to identify powder and bullet. Make sure the empty case will chamber in your gun. Then try a loaded round with the firing pin pulled. If everything has been ok, I get an unmounted tire, stick the rifle butt inside the tire where you would put an inner tube and lay the stock across the top of the tire on the off side. Attach string to trigger. Aim rifle so it will impact your berm by shimming. Sandbag on either side of forend. chamber a round and let fly at a safe distance with your string. Depending on the amount of ammo, I shoot a minimum of 10 rounds like this. Metal fatigue can also be from a cumulative effect. Good Luck

phaux
04-13-2014, 03:26 PM
I think I'll pull some and inspect them, do the whole "tie to a tree method" and chrono. If all checks out I think I'll simply quickly weigh each round. Being the same headstamp and projectile they should all weigh about the same in theory. Then, load them into some belt fed and have fun...