PDA

View Full Version : First Blood ... 7.62x39 subsonic.

meece
04-11-2014, 02:14 AM
Well finally amaged to get out and do a bit of bush bashing with the 7.62 in the weekend tried out our 7.62x39 lee 160 subsonic rounds for the first time live game.

we where hunting in typical Kiwi heavy bush after my favourite prey , the feral goat, came across a mob of them about 60 meters away though some teetree scrub mixed in with tons of supplejack, managed to get one good head shot off at a big fat nanny and dropped it with one shot, followup shot at a black Billy, he managed to turn side on so my shot hit him high in the spine effectively breaking his back, the projectile went though his spine and then angled down his ribs and lodged in his lungs, dropped like a stone. very impressed with the knock down power of these rounds for heavy bush hunting.

turned most of the billy into this ......

lots and lots of lovely Biltong :guntootsmiley:

horsesoldier
04-11-2014, 02:37 AM
Was it a pain to slice thin like that? You should post you recipe if you dont mind.Congrats on the successful hunt!

freebullet
04-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Very nice work sir, glad to see those subs are quite effective. Good lookin goat in the first pic, but I'm completely dumbfounded as to what is in the second pic lol. I think it would feel foreign to rack the sks bolt after each shot, but it appears to work well for you.

nekshot
04-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Great shooting! Do those feral goats have an oder as do domestic goats? Most of my family love goat everything (milk, soap, cheese, butter and any thing else you can squeeze outa goat) but I ALWAYS smell the goat no matter what it is. Now my family is threatening no more beef only goat meat!!!! What is your jerky recipe?, I think I might need it.

meece
04-11-2014, 05:28 PM
lol okay heres the recipe
horsesoldier, a simple one that i took off the interwebie and changed a little

some vinegar I used balsamic vinegar
a table spoon of course salt
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper

I cut the backstraps into 1 inch strips and Sprinkle vinegar over the meat, put coriander, sugar, salt and pepper into a large bowl and then dump the strips of meat into the bowl , cover the meat and rub mix in well make sure you cover both sides of the meat. put on a tray and put back into the fridge overnight to maranate, dump any liquid or blood as you see it.
next morning remove from fridge and wash in a 50/50 vinegar/water mix to remove excess sugar and salt, I made up some "S" hooks out of waire to hang the meat on. time to put into the drier ....

btw no need for a flash drier, I made mine out of a cardboard box, 2 computer fans and a 40 watt table lamp ... total time for construction 10 minutes ... cost nothing.

make two holes at the bottom of the box for ventilation .. I covered them with a bit of material to stop flies getting in, mount the fans at the top of the box , you want the air flow blowing OUT of the box, o just wired them into an out 12 power supply from an old phone charger i had lying around.

wack a bit of dowel or rod though the box to hang the hooks on and your good to go. hang the meat on the dowel close the lid of the box and turn on the fans and light ... leave for 24-48 hours then check ... mine took 36 hours till it was done the way i like mine (quite dry)

I then just used a sharp knife and cut the biltong strips about 1 mm thick off the backstraps ... if you angle your knife 45 deg you get nice cross cut grain strips.

* excess650 We are using the 160gr TL 7.62x39 mold boolits in lapua cases with 6.5 grains of trailboss and a small amount of filler, all boolits are weighed to withing 1gr of each other, cronys @ 1010fps. +- 10fps

* nekshot Lol feral goats REEK!!!!! you can smell them and track them for 100's of meters, these two I smelt a good 400 meters away on the wind, stalked them to 60 meters to take the shot. Billys particular stink ... stink worse than just about anything else in NZ ... however once you remove the pelt the meat has almost no oder, the small amount of oder is gone after an night wrapped in gladwrap and put into the fridge.
As for the taste of Goat ... well put it this way we havnt eaten any other sort of meat in years ... my wife has high cholesterol and goat meat is one of the leanest meats you can get so we try to eat as much as we can.

ever tried roast goat leg? .. slow roast at 150 deg C for 4 hours with some rosemary and garlic and the meat will literally fall of the bone, we dont use fat or oil in our cooking I normally use a cup of Hare stock (I boil down a Hare to make the best tasting stock in the world) in the bottom of the pan instead of oil, keeps the meat nice and moist

goofyoldfart
04-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Meese : Excellent instructions on the Bilton. Bet that reciepe could be used on any meat. Thanks loads--I saved this page to flash drive to keep the reciepe. God Bless to you and yours.
Goofy(oldfart) aka Godfrey

Blammer
04-11-2014, 07:41 PM
C? we do F over on this side of the pond. :)

reddoggm
04-11-2014, 08:09 PM
meece Congrats on the new load working for meat on the table Nice recipe too by the way I,m gonna have to try that when I make my next deer jerky
DOGG!!!

TCLouis
04-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Blammer

Try 300 degrees on our funny numbered thermostats.

drinks
04-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Look at some South African forums, they are biltong freeks.
I have had S.A. biltong, it is cured in larger pieces, several pounds and then sliced as eaten.
They even have dedicated biltong knives.
I do not care for biltong, as they make it, but that is because I cannot stand coriander/cilantro.
The S.A. bunch usually do not use any salt, just smoke and air dry.
I have eaten a lot of goat, I really like kid cooked "al pastor", the whole animal spread out on a vertical rack and slow cooked over a bed of coals.
I buy nannys or wethers from local breeders and make a lot of smoked sausage after mixing 50-50 with boston butt.
Wethers do not smell.

JeffinNZ
04-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Nice work. Too many shooters load up .30cal subsonic and go out shooting at traditional 'vital' areas only to have the animal trot off. You gotta hit 'em in the noggin or neck.

Changeling
04-13-2014, 01:04 PM
About the only thing I can add is I went to a wedding (NOT mine) once where they were roasting a whole veal sized young steer and a goat on 2 different spits.
After a few beers I decided to try the goat, it is one of the most memorable meals of my life, absolutely great, I never even made it to the steer!

nanuk
04-15-2014, 09:20 PM
When I worked in a livestock barn, we had goats to "Calm" the cattle if necessary

Our Billy was an AWESOME weapon against Bovine. He'd knock out 5-6 of 'em in a row, and the rest would settle right down.

and DID HE STINK! Watch one for awhile, and you'll soon learn why!

the females didn't smell too bad at all, only because they'd hand with the billy.

Now, my uncle had a nutted male and there was NO STINK at all.... almost a pleasant smell when you buried your nose in the hair.

I work with a guy who's wife is Jamaican, and they'd eat goat all the time, if'n they could get it affordable.

Jacko.357
04-17-2014, 05:20 AM
Good stuff meece, there is little better than Roast Goat. I'm off on a Goat Hunt next Weekend with my 7.62x39 and newly developed Cast Loads, not subsonic though.

The clue with Stinky Billy Goats is not to kill them in the lead up to, during or just after the Rut, thats when they smell their worst. Stick with the younger non breeding Age Billys at that time. Whilst it's true once Skun little odour remains what gets me is for a week afterwards every time you put your Hands near your Nose all you smell is Rutting Billy Goat

regards Jacko

7br
04-17-2014, 08:49 AM
ever tried roast goat leg? .. slow roast at 150 deg C for 4 hours with some rosemary and garlic and the meat will literally fall of the bone, we dont use fat or oil in our cooking I normally use a cup of Hare stock (I boil down a Hare to make the best tasting stock in the world) in the bottom of the pan instead of oil, keeps the meat nice and moist

Hey waiter, there is a hare in my goat.

(Sorry, the joke was there and I had to take it)

davidheart
04-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Hey waiter, there is a hare in my goat.

(Sorry, the joke was there and I had to take it)

:kidding:

Great shot by the way! A friend of mine actually raises Kiko goats, which are almost exactly what you shot there in New Zealand! They took the feral goat and domesticated it for lack of a better explanation.

35remington
04-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Before drawing any firm conclusions about subsonic loads, evaluate how shots that hit only lung tissue do. CNS shots often give misleading information.

meece
04-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Before drawing any firm conclusions about subsonic loads, evaluate how shots that hit only lung tissue do. CNS shots often give misleading information.

the lung shot was bad shot placement on my part as he turned and stepped forward just as i fired, we always try to shoot for the head with goats as to do as little damage to the meat as possible. I have managed to get out again for another hunt and with similar results, they all drop like a stone with a head or upper neck shot,even one that hit a 2 inch piece of teetree branch before smacking the goat in the nogging, admittedly we are limiting our shots to around 50-60 yards but thats because of the terrain more than anything, hell most of the time your lucky to see more than 20 meters

35remington
04-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Lung shot damage little meat. If clean kills can be had only with CNS shots that's admittedly carving a narrow niche in terms of adequacy for the game hunted.

Since lung shots are meat saving as well, for me a truly adequate cartridge and load must do well when only lungs are hit.

meece
04-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Lung shot damage little meat. If clean kills can be had only with CNS shots that's admittedly carving a narrow niche in terms of adequacy for the game hunted.

Since lung shots are meat saving as well, for me a truly adequate cartridge and load must do well when only lungs are hit.

Not with goat, even though the subs have more than enough penetration to pass though a goat at 60 yards a lung shot will take out a least one front leg (usually both front legs) unless you are very very lucky and manage to shoot then from a 45 deg angle from behind., remember that only the legs and backstraps on a goat are worth the effort to harvest the rest of the carcass has little usable meat on it, hitting a leg reduces the amount of edible meat by a 1/4, goats should always be hit in the upper neck or head and they will always drop like a stone.
For that sort of shot the subs have more than enough penetration.

btw I have taken 1000's of goats as I cull them professionally for farmers. even before switching to subs we always aimed for the head/neck and not because of penetration issues but because the farmers want the carcass undamaged as possible.

35remington
04-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Seems to me you are applying the cartridge with awareness of its limitations in killing power. That's good. A subsonic .31ish bullet makes rather small holes in lung tissue.

I am still not getting the idea that a lung shot only can be taken without meat wastage. As far as I know the lungs extend for a considerable distance behind the shoulder and exist in the rib cage area. Thus it seems a lung shot can be taken in many instances without hitting shoulder at all, as in a broadside presentation. But then if a head shot or neck shot is what you want.....you pass up the other shots. So be it, and that makes good sense. You already have what you need to do what you want.

freebullet
04-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Rem those goats are smaller than our deer. The lungs would be too, I get what your saying though. I've shot lots of deer in the lungs here without issue. If those lungs were half the size you might aswell go head or neck with the nice load he has worked up.

As for biltong it don't sound like my cup of tea, I like my smoked venison jerky. It sounds almost like its pickled, which is a flavor I don't care for much. I would sure try it though. Glad to hear you've got more, sounds like there are plenty for the taking down there. I may have to give your load a chance. Thanks for sharing.

TheGrimReaper
04-21-2014, 09:27 AM
What kind of scope set up are you using on that SKS???

meece
04-22-2014, 01:42 AM
What kind of scope set up are you using on that SKS???

lol a good bit of kiwi ingenuity, I tapped the receiver and grub screwed a piece of angle iron onto it, grub screwed a rail on top and mounted the 3-9x40 scope in it, rough and ready but the advantage of this is it doesn't lose zero like the rear receiver scope type replacement mounts and doubles as a shell deflector as well.

note I have since replaced the horrible synthetic stock with the original wood one since these photo's where taken