PDA

View Full Version : Herters "Dial-O-Matic" Powder Measure

TCStehle
04-11-2014, 01:44 AM
I recently inherited this powder measure. It appears to be complete with all the original hardware, screws, powder hopper, lid and drop tubes. The mechanism is smooth and the adjustable dial measure moves freely within the rotating cylinder. I Google'd it but really didn't find much information on it.

I was just wondering if this old gal has any collector's value or value as a usable powder measure in today's world. I've got other more modern measures so this may find it's way to the Swappin & Sellin format if it's worth anything.

Thanks in advance for any history or information.

bear67
04-11-2014, 10:24 AM
I would be interested if you decide to sell. I started with that measure 55+ years ago and mine was stolen while in storage a couple years back. Have plenty of measures, but have been replacing lost "older" stuff as I find it.
Bear

Reg
04-11-2014, 10:31 AM
They were a OK powder measure, a little better adapted to pistol and smaller rifle cartridges due to the smaller capacity in the powder drum. Some of the large magnum loads required to drop two times to get enough powder in the case. ( This was rare but it did happen ) Seemed to handle flake and fine powders better than some of the more popular measures . Sometimes with the larger tubular powders there was a often and noticeable "crunch" when you made the drop. Once set , they stayed very accurate from drop to drop especially with flake and fine powders, less so the bigger the tubular sections got. I have never seen one that gave problems in the adjusting mechanism.

salpal48
04-12-2014, 11:41 AM
I found this very good when I had one. I got rid of mine and went back to my Lyman 55 Now I.m sorry for that choice