PDA

View Full Version : Remington derringer.

starmac
04-11-2014, 12:20 AM
I don't know anything about them, but it is a cute little thing a cute little thing.

http://eielson.baseforsale.com/?content=viewpost&id=164926&day=1

.22-10-45
04-11-2014, 12:59 AM
.41 rimfire. I think Elmer Keith wrote about one in his Sixguns? close range hit only penetrated flesh & flattened on breast bone. Biggest threat was from infection..outside lubed with a very sticky wax.

w5pv
04-11-2014, 08:25 AM
I have a 22 cal derringer that I couldn't kill a puppy that got ran over,I ended up getting a 32 Long to do a sad job with.Before I get flamed the pup had his internals mashed out and the back legs appeared to be crushed.

Ragnarok
04-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Common for these to have broken hinges....chambered for .41 rimfire which is about extinct

Bonz
04-11-2014, 09:06 AM
I should buy it to match my .38 ;-)

mikeym1a
04-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Nice .38! like the grips. They would make a nice pair.

gwpercle
04-11-2014, 06:31 PM
I paid $1.00 for a single 41 rimfire cartridge, many years ago, for my cartridge collection . God only knows what they cost now. Other than non-existent ammo they are neat. Always wanted one but can't afford the ammo now. I did get to shoot one in 1968, I would not want to be on the receiving end of that 41 cal. boolit. I have heard/read about turning cases from brass and converting the case to use a 22 nail gun booster ( looks like a 22 blank) as the primer. I believe there is one fellow who earns a living doing these conversions on just about any obsolete rimfire round . If you get the Remington I think I can track down his name. Saw an ad in one of my magazines the other day.
Gary

gwpercle
04-11-2014, 07:35 PM
I found the article about making reloadable rimfire ammo using 22 blanks ( it wasn't nail gun boosters but blanks ). The man's name is Bob Hayley and his company is Hayley's Custom Ammunition , P.O. Box 889 , 211 North River, Seymour , Texas . 76380. Tel: 940-888-3352.
Specializing in the weird-wacky- and - Wonderful. Can't believe I found it.

DLCTEX
04-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Yep, Bob Haley does some amazing things with antique/obsolete ammo. He has a vast collection of old mould, and will have a mould custom made to meet odd needs and cast the boolits for you.

Ragnarok
04-12-2014, 10:47 AM
There were quite a few derringers and revolvers chambered for .41 rimfire back in the day. Seems as if I read somewhere that Remington manufactured the cool little two shot pistols up into the 1930's!

Despite the failings of the original Rem. O/U peashooter and it's .41 cartridge...I guess they sold well. Well enough that clones are still manufactured...in everything from .22 short to .45-70!!

HeavyMetal
04-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Be darn careful in loading these things!

I have a German 38 special O/U derringer and if the hammer is "set" wrong when you close the barrels the rounds can "rub" across the firing pin of at least one barrel.

Never had it go off, but I caution everyone that uses it to keep the barrels pointed down range when loading it, the design can easily let you close the gun with the barrels pointed at your mid section!

So it gets little general use. However the darn thing thinks it's a S&W 52, at least out to 25 yards or so allowing me to win a few bets with it!

454PB
04-12-2014, 12:48 PM
I inherited one of these from my Dad. I'm not a derringer guy, but he had three of them. The other two are "modern" and I still have them, but I sold the Remington at a gunshow when a dealer offered me $600. Included with the gun was some reproduction .41 rimfire I bought for Dad about 30 years ago.

When that ammo arrived, we shot some of it. Dad thought the cartridge was a powerhouse, and I wanted to demonstrate that it wasn't. We fired about 5 rounds into a 2X4, none of them penetrated more than the length of the boolit, the bases were even with the 2X4 surface.

As an aside, my Dad had used an electric engraver to write his name in the butt. Had he not done that, I would have gotten a lot more money for it.

jaystuw
04-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Really nice mother of pearl grips, maybe renickeled?

Remington O/U derringers were Numbered in batches so always low s/n's . I believe they can be dated by the 3 different roll marking on the top of the barrels.

With such a long production run of what, maybe 60 years, you would think they would be more common. They seem to have A fairly high attrition for some reason. Jay