PDA

View Full Version : Ingot I.D. help

MOcaster
04-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Okay, so I got some lead ingots for free from a friend. He works at a tire place. I don't think that has anything to do with these ingots, but I thought I would mention it. (He does get me the used wheel weights, though.) The ingots are really soft. I think it might be solder. I don't have a hardness tester so I don't know any numbers. Can anyone help me I.D. these? 102023
They are about 9 3/4" long and weigh 6 ounces. There is a picture of a man's head on the side closest to the hole with the letters "HS" between the head and the hole. I tried to get a close up of it but the picture refused to upload. Thanks for any help.

Mooki
04-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Looks similar to a bunch of "Lead body filler" or "Auto body lead" strips/bars I got hold of a while back. If it's one of those they're usually a mixture of Sn (30-40%) and Pb (60-70%).

Charlie Two Tracks
04-11-2014, 09:16 AM
The marker buoys I use bass fishing have those kind of lead strips on them. Very soft.

jsizemore
04-11-2014, 01:05 PM
They look like decoy weights. When not in use you can wrap the cord around the weight and then wrap the weight around the decoy's neck. I treat as soft Pb.

cdngunner
04-11-2014, 01:32 PM
They look like decoy weights. When not in use you can wrap the cord around the weight and then wrap the weight around the decoy's neck. I treat as soft Pb.

Would be my guess too!

MOcaster
04-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks everybody! I was really hopping they were solder but decoy weights make sense. Should I just treat them as pure? The guy also gave me a lot of heavy sinkers that were used a decoy weights.

ubetcha
04-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Take-em. Any free lead is good lead. If too soft for your use, either alloy it or trade with a muzzle loader who shots round balls. It pays to make friends.:grin:
The HS stands for Hunter Specialties. They are decoy weights and the picture of the head is their trademrk