PDA

View Full Version : Can't find powder ANYwhere. Anyone know where I can back order some?

Poppa Rotzee
04-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Man, I know this isn't anything new...but I recently got into reloading for my 9mm and .40 and I have everything BUT powder and its driving me crazy! lol.

Does anyone know of a good powder for 9mm and .40 and does anyone know where I can even backorder it? I'd appreciate the info. (And I know their is a search option, but I don't want old info, I want as up to date info as possible).

Poppa Rotzee
04-10-2014, 11:41 PM
http://gunbot.net/reloading/Powder/

^ Ok, this has live supply lists....anyone have any specific ones to look out for?

WallyM3
04-11-2014, 12:00 AM
If you have a silly amount of funds and an overwhelming need, search GB.

Poppa Rotzee
04-11-2014, 12:34 AM
Money isn't really an issue...I've been wanting to get into reloading for a long time and I have everything I need BUT powder and haven't been able to find any for like...6 months. Its getting ridiculous. I want to get some so my buddy can come over and start walking me through the rest of the steps. I have de primed the brass, cleaned it, put new primers in...have the bullets ready, but don't have the powder.

WallyM3
04-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Well, then, that's your place. The powder is there (different ones at different times), but at a considerable premium over the usual retail vendors (who, anyway, are out of stock).

My last three jugs came from GB vendors.

bangerjim
04-11-2014, 01:44 AM
I feel for you guy! Getting into reloading now is a tough row to hoe in many locations......no powder!

I have several LGS's that keep me supplied with no problems, but many bemoan the lack of our precious stuff!

Good hunting and hope you find what you are looking for. Don't just limit yourself the the dreaded scarce Unique......there are many other shotgun powders out there you can cross over wit great success! Get your loading charts and data gathered and do some research.

bangerjim

freebullet
04-11-2014, 02:20 AM
If your buddy is gunna walk you through reloading he maybe willing to spare just enough to get you started. Nearly any pistol or shotgun powder will do for your 9 so you should be able to find something soon. If you mention your location there may be a local guy here that would take pity and sell ya a pound or 2. Good luck and stock up when you can.

kawasakifreak77
04-15-2014, 08:45 PM
You don't happen to be in Kansas?

dbosman
04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Check the local trap and skeet club.
Most fast shot shell powders work fine to great for small pistol shooting.

kungfustyle
04-16-2014, 04:11 PM
If there is a BassPro near buy just keep calling to see if they have any Hogdon or Alliant in when they do rush over an pick it up. If not, see if you can go in with a few local friends and split the hazmed fee. However, it you buy an 8lb keg of Bullseye, Unique or tightgroup you should be set for the rest of your life. Unless you plan to shoot up 100,000 pistol rounds in the next 10 years. I know some people on this site do that very thing. Good Luck.

dilly
04-16-2014, 04:18 PM
I know a lot of people are leery of putting up more personal information about themselves than necessary, but when it comes to things like this adding a location in your profile can be pretty helpful.

FYI: There is a hazardous materials fee for powder and/or primers if you order it online. Generally the fee is the same for 1 lb as it is for a very large order. You may already know that but I thought it was worth mentioning.

lancem
04-16-2014, 04:27 PM
I don't have anywhere local to buy it consistently so on line is the only choice for me. Gun Broker works well for me, just have to know what you want and I always go for large quantities, hazmat spread over a large order doesn't hurt as much. Recently scored 10# of IMR-4895 for a dollar less a pound shipped than the last pound I bought in a store so I'm happy.

375RUGER
04-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Midsouth Shooters supply allows backorder of some powders if not all.

Bonz
04-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Hodgdon LongShot is the most forgiving of smokeless powder for the .40 S&W