PDA

View Full Version : My Dilemma

Zymurgy50
04-10-2014, 09:58 PM
I have been under-employed for a while now, been getting along but not getting ahead. This week I got to work a shut-down at the (somewhat) local steel mill, 4, 12 hour days so a bit of overtime there also.

Being a certified Hunter Safety Instructor I have the opportunity to buy one or two Henry 22lr rifles at a discounted price direct from Henry. I was really looking at the octagon barrel levergun, can buy this for +/- $150 less than Henry's suggested list price.
I have a bit of cash put back and can afford one rifle for sure now, and I could probably beg and borrow enough for the second. I have 2 kids, one married and one with one year of high school left. I know that someday they will each get one if I buy both of them, I think it would be awesome if they got consecutive serial numbered rifles after I am gone.

My question is "Does anyone here have experience with the Henry frontier model with the octagon barrel? I see lots of threads on the centerfire Henry's but not much on the rimfires. I might want to put a peep sight on it, old eyes and lineless bifocals are taking a toll on open sights here. I do have a couple of bricks of CCI std. velocity on hand, so feeding them wont be a problem for now.

GunnyJohn
04-10-2014, 11:06 PM
I have a friend that won one at a roping. We took it out and put a 100 or so rounds through it one evening after we had bedded down the cows after driving them that day. The rifle shot really well, and we had a great time with it, prior to a few toddies and bedding down ourselves. Nice rifle. Nothing bad to say about it.

Pb2au
04-10-2014, 11:10 PM
That is a fantastic 22.
I bought one for my oldest brother a long time ago and he thoroughly enjoyed it. We could pop thistle tops at 40 yards easily.
Good luck

waksupi
04-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Buy them. You know they aren't going down in value.

Jon K
04-10-2014, 11:40 PM
I prefer the Frontier to the Golden Boy...cause the Frontier has the same drop in the stock as a 92 Winchester, the Golden Boy has the same drop as the Win 66/73.

Both shoot good, just depnds on what you're comfortable with.

Jon

northmn
04-11-2014, 02:10 PM
I have one in 22mag and like it, shoots OK. Would recommend buying one to someone else.

DP

searcher4851
04-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Great little rifles. You won't regret your purchase, and you probably won't ever find them cheaper.