PDA

View Full Version : Primer depth 7.62

burrkiss
04-10-2014, 09:25 PM
I have started to reload 7.62 x 39 for my SKS, and a few (5-10%) of the primers are seating .0035 below flush. I am using a Lee hand primer. Will this cause light strikes? If so, how do I fix? I am using a Lyman case prep center with reamer, could I be reaming too much?

Stonecrusher
04-10-2014, 10:27 PM
You sound good to go. I think SAAMI specs say about .003"-.005" below flush. As long as you are not crushing the pellet in the primer they should go bang. In fact, the Forster CoAx priming system will seat them consistently about .004" below flush. I would worry much more about primers above flush. That is when you can get misfires because the firing pin blow is softened by having to drive the anvil to the bottom of the pocket before it can fire. High primers could also cause a slam fire, though I have never had it happen.

The inportant thing is to have the primer bottomed in the pocket.

Hickok
04-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Don't worry, the SKS will set the primers off. Those rifles are made to work!

dragonrider
04-11-2014, 09:02 AM
That is not unusual. You will be fine.

Larry Gibson
04-11-2014, 04:13 PM
All primers should be seated to the bottom of the pocket not to some specified "depth".

Most cartridges made for automatic weapons such as the 7.62x39 will have the primers seated slightly below "flush" to prevent any slam fires or failure of the bolt to close. The firing pins of such weapons have sufficient reach for proper detonation of the primers. Best that way.

Larry Gibson