PDA

View Full Version : failure to eject and blackened brass

vernb
04-10-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm still trying to figure out my very used dillon 550 . I just converted it to 9 mm and loaded 10 test rounds. I ended up with 3 dead primers and one failure to eject. The primers were probably in the press for years but the failure to eject was weird. It felt like a weak load and it sounded like the slide wasn't closed all the way. Upon inspection the brass was black with soot and it wad caught between the slide and frame. The load is 4.1 grains of bullseye and a berrys preferred 124 round nose. All others shot normal

Cherokee
04-10-2014, 07:11 PM
According to my Lyman manual, that is between start and top, it should have worked. Since you had 3 dead primers, I suspect a bad primer did not fully burn the powder, hence the soot blowback because the case did not fully expand to seal the chamber. Did you try the "dead primer" loads more than once ? Its possible they did not go off because they were not fully seated.

vernb
04-10-2014, 09:15 PM
I tried them 3 times

Cherokee
04-10-2014, 09:20 PM
OK, they were dead. Since the rest of the rounds worked fine, you got rid of the bad ones. Not a good idea to leave primers in the press. As I said, your eject failure was probably due to incomplete ignition resulting in the failure to seal the case in the chamber and you got soot on the case. Now you know what can happen. Good luck with your loading in the future.

Pb2au
04-10-2014, 10:52 PM
I agree with the under achieving primer theory. If the primers were in the press, was the powder in there too?

MtGun44
04-11-2014, 01:20 AM
Primers not seated all the way?

Bill

badbob454
04-11-2014, 01:41 AM
powder damp? if left in the press

osteodoc08
04-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Get rid of the "left overs" and start fresh. Then report back.

Shiloh
04-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Is your de-capping rod adjusted correctly?? If not, the spent primers will not be pushed out completely and re-seated on the up-stroke.
If that is not the problem, I'm of the mentioned advice to trash the primers that were in it for years and start fresh.

Shiloh

mdi
04-11-2014, 11:32 AM
I agree with the toss and use fresh primers/powder. Left in the press? How long and under what conditions? This is prolly the prob...

vernb
04-12-2014, 08:45 PM
How long would you let powder sit in your press or powder measure ?

62chevy
04-12-2014, 08:51 PM

Long enough to load the round needed and then back in the container. Never let it sit over night or longer the stuff is just to hard to get and to expensive to waste.

Iowa Fox
04-12-2014, 09:03 PM

As soon as I'm finished loading the powder left goes straight back into the original container immediately. If I was loading with the Dillon I always give it a good cleaning also.

mrblue
04-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Get rid of the "left overs" and start fresh. Then report back.

Yeah just send me that old Dillon and go out and get your self a new one, heck I'll even drive to you and pick up to help!

btroj
04-12-2014, 09:14 PM

Never overnight. Primers either.

cbrick
04-12-2014, 09:20 PM
With a squib load like that should it happen again make very sure the barrel is clear before firing the next round. Could make for an exciting if not bloody moment.

Rick

vernb
04-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Wow. I usually let it sit in my powder drop for a couple months at a time

Love Life
04-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Oh wow. I leave my powder in the measure for weeks and months on end. When I start to reload again, I throw 2 charges and dump them back in the measure, then I verify the next 10 charges as I reload, then I go all out on my reloading.

When I am ready to change powders, I will then empty the measure back into the powder can and then load it up with the new powder for the new caliber.

Iowa Fox
04-28-2014, 09:20 PM
I have looked at several 550s that were left with powder in the thrower in damp basements. Every one of the powder funnels had a roughness of corrosion on the inside of the powder funnel. On one I could hardly get the powder die and funnel separated.

TXGunNut
04-28-2014, 09:26 PM
I (almost always) empty my powder measure back into the canister as soon as I get done, saves problems three ways: First: the powder can was designed for stable storage, most powder measures are not. Second: Powder in a measure can be difficult to identify weeks from now...or in my case-tomorrow. May charge a case with the wrong powder. Third: When you eventually empty the measure you may pour it into the wrong bottle. At today's powder prices I almost cried last time I did that.

BruceB
04-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Many of the powder measures on the market have plastic hoppers which WILL react with the powder over moderate lengths of rime. It is poor practice to leave powder in the hopper when not actually loading ammo.

I always place a sticker on the hopper, marked with the powder type and the charge for which the measure is set. It only takes seconds, and removes all future doubt.

Generally, I return the powder to its can when a session is finished, but that sticker is valuable insurance in case I forget or circumstances intervene.

David2011
04-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Agree that leaving powder in the measure is bad for the measure at a minimum and potentially bad for the powder. Many powders will attack the plastic tube. Best case is that the tube gets stained. I have heard of but never seen the plastic get distorted by powder if left in it after the loading session. Very bad for the shooter if you forgot which powder it was and guessed wrong.

David

cbrick
04-28-2014, 09:50 PM
I never ever have more than one can of powder out at a rime. Not ever under any circumstances. If there is powder in the measure that can and that can only is on the bench. Once cases are charged the loaded box of ammo is clearly marked with all details of the load and the hopper is emptied into the only can on the bench and that can put away. Hasn't failed me yet.

Rick

vernb
05-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I simply keep a notepad handy . I write the powder on it and stick it in the powder measure. Since reading this I've emptied all of my measures but my lee load all 12 gauge loader. I don't know how to empty it without making a mess