PDA

View Full Version : Charleston, SC

Wayne Smith
04-10-2014, 03:00 PM
We will be there in the old town for a week. Leaving Sunday to drive down. Any members there? Must do things? We already have tickets for the Sound of Charleston.

HATCH
04-10-2014, 03:05 PM
It all depends on what your into. If you older your wife might like walking thru the old market downtown. Its free except for finding a parking spot.
If your a military guy then you might like touring the USS YORKTOWN. They have a sub there too but I can't remember the name.
Fort Sumter is cool too. You can get boat rides out there from Patriots Point (thats where the yorktown is)

I grew up in Charleston but moved away about 15 years ago.

troyboy
04-10-2014, 03:29 PM
You really need to visit the Yorktown but be sure and allow 2 days. There is entirely to much to see in one day. The Hunley is at the ship yard, the slave market is downtown lots to see. Great place to visit

HarryT
04-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Eat at Hyman's (seafood) 215 Meeting St. Magnolia Plantation is nice this time of year. Maybe a horse drawn carriage tour.

N4AUD
04-10-2014, 04:55 PM
The Citadel, and the Yorktown and Ft. Sumter have been mentioned. Walk around downtown, visit the market, great seafood places there.

Mumblypeg
04-10-2014, 05:42 PM
You gotta go down to the battery too. Hatch, I think they moved the Ft. Sumter tour boat facility across the river to the city side off Bay Street? My brother and I played our fifes when they did the ground breaking for the new facility several years ago. Second on the horse carriage ride. I thought it would be wimpy but my wife and had a ball, the carriage guy was a HOOT! There is plenty to see there.

Mumblypeg
04-10-2014, 05:43 PM
You gotta go down to the battery too. Hatch, I think they moved the Ft. Sumter tour boat facility across the river to the city side off Bay Street? My brother and I played our fifes when they did the ground breaking for the new facility several years ago. Second on the horse carriage ride. I thought it would be wimpy but my wife and had a ball, the carriage guy was a HOOT! There is plenty to see there. ( sorry, double post)

beagle
04-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Amen to visiting the battery and the citadel. Ask what SNOBS and SOBs are in Charleston. The market place is good and grab some pralines while you're there./beagle

richhodg66
04-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I went to school at The Citadel, so spent a lot of time in Charleston many years ago.

It's the only place in S.C. that has buildings that pre-date 1865, and there have been people settled there since the 1600s so lots of history. The Yorktown is interesting and the name of the sub is the USS Clamagore, my wife's grandfather was on the crew that commissioned her.

silverado
04-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Hymen resteraunt was really famous for a bit although I never went there..... kind of expensive. Noisy oyster closed from what I heard. If you want a good pizza the mellow mushroom is really good and has lots of beers on tap. Haven't been there since 2007 though.

silverado
04-10-2014, 11:29 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/11/eda8uhyj.jpg

Sweetpea
04-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Oh yes, a walk through the old-town, see the slave markets, and head out to Patriot's Point, and don't forget Sumter...

It's been over 20 years for me, but I have some good memories.

silverado
04-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Also there are a lot of cigar shops to check out

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Eat at Hyman's (seafood) 215 Meeting St. Magnolia Plantation is nice this time of year. Maybe a horse drawn carriage tour.

we were only in Charleston for a day last fall , definitely eat at Hyman's it is a Little spendy but not ridiculous , I like the Carolina Delight with scallops , likes it so mush i had it twice the same day

We took the tour of Fort Sumter that was nice , if your headed south from there i liked fort Polaski also

once you have been out to Sumter then go to battery park and you get a good idea of the distance

Wayne Smith
04-11-2014, 07:47 AM
We are planning on doing a lot of walking, when we went to New Orleans we stayed in the French Quarter and only rented a car one day, we walked the rest of the time. We are planning to do the same here. We are staying at a pension in the old town. Thanks for the ideas, I did not know there was a slave market.

popper
04-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Definitely take the carriage ride. There are several vendors so talk to them before you choose. A good history lesson if you get the right one. We stayed in a quaint little hostel seaward of the financial district, yes parking is a drag. I guess the slave market is the same place as the flea market - the old warehouse district. Get some GOOD shoes.