PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle again

beagle
01-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Being as the wind was whistling, it was cold and snowing this morning, I headed for my reloading shed and fired up the kerosene heater.

Sat there and warmed up and said, "Today's the day to try casting".

I haven't cast in the new place yet and was frankly concerned over whether the circuit would hold the RCBS pot. It did and I still remember how to cast.

First on the agenda was a 457130 "collar button" for the .45/70 that I picked up from KYwoodwrkr. Cast nice.....

Then, as I moved, I received a enlarged 457191HP and hadn't tried it. Man, it cast at .462-463" and weighs 288 grains. I never have had a 456191 or a 457191 that ran above .458". Hopefully, this one shoots good. That's for a bit warmer weather.

Anyhow, the new shed is snug and a good casting haven./beagle

Nueces
01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Sounds like a sweet haven, beagle, a place where you can hear your own thoughts.

Happy New Year!

Mark

Bass Ackward
01-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Beagle,

Your post made me appreciate that there are situations that may require a lull in casting that I so far have simply taken for granted.

Glad you are back and more importantly satisfied with the return. Casting is something best done in comfort, during periods of low stress, which means bullets ARE NOT needed. And since a lot of what you do is hollow pointed, you must be blessed with the patience of Job.

Anyway, that's when I get the best results, am easiest on my equipment, and I am the most comfortable doing it. Otherwise it's work. :grin:

beagle
01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah Bass..... It's a getaway place for me and the dog and we're enjoying it. I cast a goodly supply of my more used calibers pending the move. Now, I can walk out and tinker and cast as I need to.

As many HPs as I've cast, it's easy now.

Every man's got to have a "den" and that one's mine./beagle