PDA

View Full Version : I have some lead that needs a home

Bjornb
04-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Another member did me a big favor when I needed some jacketed bullets, and he didn't want anything in return (you gotta love the people on CB). So I'd like to offer up an SFRB with range lead ingots (usually close to 20 lbs.), and enough 60/40 solder to make a 2% alloy.

Bjornb
04-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Going to bed, checking back on the thread in the am.

Magana559
04-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Free lead! Hope this goes to a member in need

Docjames
04-10-2014, 01:09 AM
I have some pure lead, but I just started with wheel weights and casting. I have casted 1k .40sw rounds in groups of 200ish and remelted them just for practice. A buddy is supposed to have some brass and I got 4 pounds of hiskor700x in a good deal (15$ /lb?) I am still trying to find a sizing press. I have the lee sizing die but theres no way to use that on a LocknLoad which is what I am playing around with now. Anyways. I would love a chunk of good lead as I don't know much about the quality of my own and don't have anything to compare it to thats actually right!

Bjornb
04-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Well this is indoor range lead that normally gives about 11 BHN, which is fine for normal velocity pistol rounds. With the tin I'm putting in the package it will fill out very nicely and add a little to the hardness. PM me your address and I'll get the lead out to you.
Bjorn

BK7saum
04-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Docjames, if your buddy doesn't come through with the brass, I could send you a small flat rate box of range pickup .40 brass. Sounds like your just getting started. Best of luck.

Bjornb, did not mean to hijack your thread.

roscottjr
04-10-2014, 10:40 PM
we could use some lead.

Bjornb
04-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Lead spoken for per PM.

Docjames
04-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Well this is indoor range lead that normally gives about 11 BHN, which is fine for normal velocity pistol rounds. With the tin I'm putting in the package it will fill out very nicely and add a little to the hardness. PM me your address and I'll get the lead out to you.
Bjorn

I don't know I'm I can PM from tapatalk. I spent all day trying to fix a bad leading issue. Ended up buying a chronograph and I guess 890fps is too fast for my lead.

BrassMagnet
04-12-2014, 11:27 PM
I don't know I'm I can PM from tapatalk. I spent all day trying to fix a bad leading issue. Ended up buying a chronograph and I guess 890fps is too fast for my lead.

I doubt that. 45 ACP is 850 - 950 fps and generally doesn't lead enough to matter. What are you using for boolit lubricant?

Docjames
04-12-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure if it's the boolits, powder, or Lube bbuuuttt.
Hiskor700x at 3.9gr. Some deviation, .2 up down.
Lyman 180gr tc, 401638.
Lead is mostly clip on wheel weights. Fills out pretty.
Lube was 100rds to 1 tsp of lla after sizing to. 401.

3 rounds out of a clean barrel gave me 865-870-842 fps. Barrel is now dirty enough that 20 runs of a. 410 Cal brush with hopes solvent hasn't cleaned it all.
I tried more Lube. It was a bad idea and boolits are now sticky. I water dropped an hours worth tonight and will load those with both 3.9 and 3.5gr of 700x and try again. Also worth noting that they are hard to hit anything with.

Bzcraig
04-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Have you slugged your barrel? Since you are sizing to .401 I'm thinking your boolits are under sized.

BrassMagnet
04-13-2014, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure if it's the boolits, powder, or Lube bbuuuttt.
Hiskor700x at 3.9gr. Some deviation, .2 up down.
Lyman 180gr tc, 401638.
Lead is mostly clip on wheel weights. Fills out pretty.
Lube was 100rds to 1 tsp of lla after sizing to. 401.

3 rounds out of a clean barrel gave me 865-870-842 fps. Barrel is now dirty enough that 20 runs of a. 410 Cal brush with hopes solvent hasn't cleaned it all.
I tried more Lube. It was a bad idea and boolits are now sticky. I water dropped an hours worth tonight and will load those with both 3.9 and 3.5gr of 700x and try again. Also worth noting that they are hard to hit anything with.

For a start, I would suggest lube, then size, then lube again, let dry, and then load.
I refuse to shoot a truncated cone boolit. I tried some and the accuracy was unreliable.
When I finally get around to sizing and lubing some .40 cal boolits, I might send you some to try out.

Docjames
04-13-2014, 12:59 AM
For a start, I would suggest lube, then size, then lube again, let dry, and then load.
I refuse to shoot a truncated cone boolit. I tried some and the accuracy was unreliable.
When I finally get around to sizing and lubing some .40 cal boolits, I might send you some to try out.

I was dumb about it. I didn't want Lube in my sizing die, but I realize now that it doesn't matter in the least. I will now make some 45/45/10 and try a really light coat before and after sizing my new harder boolits. As for accuracy, I can't even trust them enough to not hit my chronograph, I'm scared at 10 feet they are going to fly off.
Anyways, this forum has been a huge help. I just need time to test all this knowledge out.

Baryngyl
04-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Have you tried one unsized?
Make a dummy cartridge and see if it will chamber, if it does, go ahead and lube up some unsized and load them and try them.

Michael Grace

Docjames
04-14-2014, 02:41 AM
I haven't tried them unsized but I know they will chamber. The lead gets a bit shaved when seating them. Will this affect the outcome of the experiment? I also cut some 3/16" plate and made a bullet trap today. I hate just shooting into a hill incase I miss, the neighbors don't mind shooting and aren't close by but I'm a bit paranoid about ricochets. So far the plate will take a 30.30 fmj just about head on with only a little dent, lead at an angle barely leaves a streak, and shatters the boolits. Pretty excited, even though it weighs close to 150 lbs I bet. I melted down all my boolits and mixed them about 50/50 with some good wheel weights, going to water drop about 20 and just air cool 20, do 10 unsized, and sized of each and see if I get better results. Thanks for all the help guys.

Baryngyl
04-14-2014, 07:02 PM
I haven't tried them unsized but I know they will chamber. The lead gets a bit shaved when seating them. Will this affect the outcome of the experiment?

You just need to flare/bell the case mouth a bit more, just enough so that the bullets do not get shaved, then you need to set the crimp die up so it just removes the flare with out crimping the case inward if these are for a straight sided case that headspaces on the mouth of the case.

Michael Grace

BrassMagnet
04-14-2014, 09:23 PM
You just need to flare/bell the case mouth a bit more, just enough so that the bullets do not get shaved, then you need to set the crimp die up so it just removes the flare with out crimping the case inward if these are for a straight sided case that headspaces on the mouth of the case.

Michael Grace

A taper crimp die makes the die adjustment a little easier!