PDA

View Full Version : S&B 303 Brass

KYCaster
09-06-2005, 11:29 PM
I just recently got a Longbranch #4 MK 1 that's been chopped. Didn't have any brass so bought a hunnert rds. of S&B FMJ (cheaper than new Rem. brass). Shot 'em all up in one sitting (ouch!). When I went to load them I found that they will not accept a Large Rifle primer. Lacks about ten thou. seating flush. Large Pistol fits just fine.
Two questions. 1) Has anybody had this problem with S&B brass? And before you jump on me for using inferior components, I've been using their brass that I've scrounged off the range in .45ACP, .40S&W, 9mm and .223 without any complaints.
2) Will I have ignition issues using LP primers with IMR4198 and WC860?
3) (I know, that's more than two questions) Should I anneal this stuff before I start reloading it?

Jerry

crazy mark
09-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Jerry,
I have had some S & B brass that had short primer pockets. I used a primer pocket tool to remove a little more of the base of the pocket so the LR primers would fit flush. Mark

Four Fingers of Death
09-07-2005, 04:39 AM
I've used a lot of their 22lr over the years, absolutely filthy stuff, I swear that they use coal in the mix, but haven't used much of their other stuff.

We started a small club for military service rifle shooting a couple of years ago and bought up big on S&B ammo. After reloading, we had numerous case separations and ended up chucking it. It might be better being run through one rifle only. I'd try and not be too vigorous with the fls die.

I hate to say it but the 303 site states that the Remington brass is the strongest. That's what I bought. It is not too dear and is available bulk.

If you are not interested in keeping it stock for target military shooting, it might be an idea to rechamber it for the 303 Epps. This will be a big improvement. Brass won't stretch as much.

Look up 303 Epps on your browser and see how you go.
Mick.

Shepherd2
09-07-2005, 08:17 AM
I've found that S&B primer pockets are on the shallow side. I usually have to cut the pocket a little deeper to get the right fit. I've also found that Federal pistol primers don't work well at all in S&B pistol brass. The pockets seem to be undersized for the Federals and you can crush the primer on some of them. Anymore I check the headstamp on pistol brass and if it's S&B it goes in the scrap bucket. I could probably switch primers but I don't plan on it.

Four Fingers of Death
09-07-2005, 08:34 AM
I forgot to mention, the trouble is not so much with the cartridge, but with the rifle. The Lee Enfields are a bit sringy and allow a bit more case stretch than front locking actions.
Mick.

KCSO
09-07-2005, 10:49 AM
I have some S and B in 6.5x55 and I had to ream all the primer pockets.
I also have found some S and B quite hard and I usually anneal it.

If you can get it use 30-40 Krag brass reformed for your 303 shootin'. The Krag is just enough bigger at the base that you don't get that hump about 3/4" up the case. Brass life is really improved. I use 30-40 cases and a Lee Collet die and have gotten 15 reloads from one case.

Calamity Jake
09-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Yap that S&B has shallow primer pockets, get you a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer tool (comes with instructions) chuck it in a VS hand drill and go to it.
S&B brass is also harder than US made, you may want to anneal the necks.

Johnch
09-07-2005, 03:50 PM
I had no problems with my S&B 303 brass , but I got it 8 years ago and clean out with a uniforming tool all primer pockets the first time I load brass

Johnch

Toney
09-11-2005, 02:25 AM
i cannot resize the 7-57 at all and the no 2 shell holder does'nt
fit them . the pistol cases work just fine as well as any

Buckshot
09-11-2005, 04:29 AM
............Hello Toney, and welcome to the board. What'er you shooting these days?

.............Buckshot

Toney
09-11-2005, 04:22 PM
hello Buckshot about 4 years ago i bought a nagant
got on the comp to see what i got and discovered
surplus rifles . i've been through about 50 surplus
rifles sence then . i really like the mausers or really
anything that makes a lot of noise you know
the power behind those old rifles is just awesome