PDA

View Full Version : Webley in 45 long Colt ?

bouncer50
04-09-2014, 04:29 AM
I would like to say hi to everyone this is my first post here. I been reading this site for a couple of years and been impress with the knowlege the people have here. I have a Webley made in 1919 that the recoil shield has been mill down instead of the cylinder. Factory Colt rounds with the round nose bullits are too long for the cylinder but my reloads with a lee semi-wadcutter fit in the cylinder just fine. The gun will fire the Webley 455 just fine and 45 Colt reload just fine with a light charge of green dot. I have seen a quite a few Webley with the mill down cylinder but never a mill frame ?. Half moon clips and 45 acp will not fit ? Who ever did this had a good idea. You can shoot 455 ammo or reloaded 45 Colts. You could shoot factory 45 Colt if you file down the front of the lead bullit. This gun is accurate with 45 Colt 2 to 3 inchs groups at 25 yards:grin:

Outpost75
04-09-2014, 10:37 AM
I've seen a few of these. People get into trouble trying to full throttle them. Keep the loads light.

Starline .45 Schofield brass and 4 to 4.5 grains of Bullseye will give you a working load with a 250-grain bullet which should shoot to the sights.

Sounds like a nice, practical revolver, if the work was well executed.

Sekatoa
04-10-2014, 07:57 PM
I have something like this, a real odditdty. It is stamped "45 C", which one would assume is 45 Colt. The dealer that sold it to me said it was shaved to take .45 ACP in moon clips or auto rim. But it wasn't shaved enough for those. It was shaved enough to fit 45 Colt (Long Colt) brass, but the cylinder was too short to take a normal loaded cartridge. It will take .45 Schofield, or .45 Colt in full wadcutters, or blanks, only.

It has the initials "MGM" engraved, and I often wonder if it was done to take the blanks as movie prop for Zulu, which MGM released. I'd like to think so, anyway.

Sekatoa
04-12-2014, 12:54 AM
These work great in mine.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=269
I just didn't want to fire more that one cylinder of a full,power load like that in the relic. But it gave me a bullet sy tale and reference to reload for it with. I bought a Saeco full wadcutter mold for it. Just haven't had to time to load for it and further exterpiement.