PDA

View Full Version : Ranchdog TL255-50-RF + Clays = cheap fun

texassako
04-08-2014, 11:15 PM
I finally had the chance to test the new Ranchdog .25 ACP design. They were sized to .252" and tumble lubed with 45/45/10, and sized down much better than the old design. I had to seat a little deeper than his data lists as minimum to fit in my magazine. .875" is what I needed to keep the edges of the meplat from dragging. I cut the listed .9 gr of Clays load by ~10 percent to .8 gr because of the deeper seating. Clays was my choice because I don't use it in anything else and have most of a pound on the shelf. 48 test rounds went into 4" at 10 yards with 2 FTE's on the last round, or about as good as I can shoot the stubby little thing. My favorite for the mouse guns now since it is the easiest for me to cast, size, load, and shoot. Oh yeah, and only needing to use $2 of components(powder, primer, lead) per 50 rounds doesn't hurt either for some seriously cheap plinking.

380AUTO
04-09-2014, 12:31 AM
I have a baby browning .25 I want to start loading for. Factory ammo is expensive!

TMenezes
04-09-2014, 09:23 PM
As a fan of big bores I thought it was frustrating trying to load below 4gr of 700X as the big flakes wouldn't cooperate with my Lee auto disk. Loading less than 1gr of powder (especially large flake) would drive me crazy. Isn't Clays a flake powder too?

texassako
04-09-2014, 09:51 PM
As a fan of big bores I thought it was frustrating trying to load below 4gr of 700X as the big flakes wouldn't cooperate with my Lee auto disk. Loading less than 1gr of powder (especially large flake) would drive me crazy. Isn't Clays a flake powder too?

It is a flake, but it seems to meter fairly well for me. Better than Unique, and about as well as Bullseye. I use a rotor type pistol measure.

texassako
04-09-2014, 11:18 PM
wow, intriguing, didn't think anyone loaded anything that small beyond being a novelty, lol. If you have pictures to show of loaded round I'd like to see. Making me think maybe a lil 25 might be fun.

I snapped a quick pic of my dummy round next to a .38 Special case since I shot all my loaded ammo. I think I need something faster than a single stage press if I keep shooting these in any kind of volume.