PDA

View Full Version : Best Heavy 9 mm for accuracy and penetration mold.

Changeling
04-08-2014, 06:41 PM
I have a Browning Belgian Made Hi- Power, 9mm.

What is the best of the heavy weight bullet/molds relative to accuracy, I don't want a target type bullet but a flat nosed projectile with a large enough meplat to do damage and still have GREAT peneration. Also need "reliable " feeding. If this takes metal work, advise.

I do not want it to be a 1 bullet type of pistol but one capapable of handeling most any 9mm. If it takes a new barrel, that's OK.

dubber123
04-08-2014, 06:47 PM
I've had good luck with BRP's 360640 design, which casts a 150 gr. RF. It is designed for .38/.357, but shoots very well out of the 9mm's I have tried it in. BRP is out of the mold biz, but NOE runs some of his designs time to time. Been shooting them from an M-88A, basically a short Tokarev, and they feed just fine, and out shoot anything else I tried.

C. Latch
04-08-2014, 06:53 PM
When you say you have a Belgium-made BHP, you could be talking about a T series, C series, MKII, MKIII...... T and C series are most collectible by far, but not all of them will feed every bullet profile. The MKIII is arguably the best BHP ever produced, and mine will feed anything I put in them.

Which one do you have?

Thin Man
04-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Lately I have been working to perfect a 9mm loading (also 38 Super) with the Lyman 358480 boolit, advertised by Lyman as weighing 133 gr. but mine drop out at 138 gr. (probably the alloy causes this slight increase). Large meplat for the cartridge, reliability can be tuned by correcting your COL to fit the feed cycle of your pistol's feed ramp and magazine release timing in most cases. While heavier boolits are available, this one gives me more reliable print to the sights rather than having to compensate for dwell time in the barrel and changes to point of impact per your sights. While this weight is not as high as you may wish to go, I am very comfortable with everything I have found with it so far. Take a look at it.

Thin Man

Changeling
04-09-2014, 12:34 PM
When you say you have a Belgium-made BHP, you could be talking about a T series, C series, MKII, MKIII...... T and C series are most collectible by far, but not all of them will feed every bullet profile. The MKIII is arguably the best BHP ever produced, and mine will feed anything I put in them.

Which one do you have?

Mine just says, BROWNING ARMS COMPANY St LOUIS MO & MONTREAL P.Q. MADE IN BELGIUM

Serial # 69C9xxx

I don't know how to tell what series it is unless the series is related to the serial Number. As you can see there is a C in the serial number. Does that mean it is a C series?

C. Latch
04-09-2014, 12:38 PM
That would be a 1969 model C series.

It may or may not feed reliably with wide meplats; if I were you I'd try a variety of factory ammo before diving off into casting for it.

edit:

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=35

edit again:

BHPs are my absolute favorite handguns. :)

Changeling
04-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for there information.

C. Latch thanks now I know.

Since this is a collectable series, maybe I should give some thought to just storing it.

oso
04-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Lately I have been working to perfect a 9mm loading (also 38 Super) with the Lyman 358480 boolit, advertised by Lyman as weighing 133 gr. but mine drop out at 138 gr. (probably the alloy causes this slight increase). Large meplat for the cartridge, reliability can be tuned by correcting your COL to fit the feed cycle of your pistol's feed ramp and magazine release timing in most cases. While heavier boolits are available, this one gives me more reliable print to the sights rather than having to compensate for dwell time in the barrel and changes to point of impact per your sights. While this weight is not as high as you may wish to go, I am very comfortable with everything I have found with it so far. Take a look at it.

Thin Man

Speaking of the Lyman 358430, mine drops at 132 gr with WW. For the 9mm and 38 Super I prefer the Lyman 356634, a TC with equivalent meplat but 137 gr with my WW.
I haven't been happy with the Lyman 356637 feeding in some of my 9mm (great in 38 Super), at 153 gr my WW the meplat is smaller that the prior mentioned molds but easier to find.

robertbank
04-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks to everyone for there information.

C. Latch thanks now I know.

Since this is a collectable series, maybe I should give some thought to just storing it.

It is collectible but not that collectible. There are lots of them around, just not many changing hands, often. From what I have observed they don't go bang any better than any of the other Hi-Powers I shot. Sold all of mine off including two Inglises. They were very nice guns in their day but that was yesterday. The CZ resembles the Hi-Power, has just a nice of grip and is DA/SA. If it was a T series I might say, store it. Enjoy the gun and shoot it often. You can't hurt the gun by shooting it. That is what they do best.

Take Care

Bob

C. Latch
04-09-2014, 05:33 PM
It is collectible but not that collectible. There are lots of them around, just not many changing hands, often. From what I have observed they don't go bang any better than any of the other Hi-Powers I shot. Sold all of mine off including two Inglises. They were very nice guns in their day but that was yesterday. The CZ resembles the Hi-Power, has just a nice of grip and is DA/SA. If it was a T series I might say, store it. Enjoy the gun and shoot it often. You can't hurt the gun by shooting it. That is what they do best.

Take Care

Bob

The BHP is a bit dated, but with a proper trigger and sights, I believe it is still the best 'wondernine' ever made.

I really like the CZs but I have this weird, short thumb that cannot easily manipulate the safety on a CZ75/85. Otherwise I'd be carrying one regularly.

Crash_Corrigan
04-09-2014, 06:04 PM
I stumbled across one in a gun shop when I had my hand fulla cash to buy a custom 25-06. I had the rifle on the counter and I was looking at it carefully when I noticed a Browning Hi Power on a shelf inside the glass display case beneath the counter. I had to look at it. It was an unfired BHP made in '85 in Belgium and assembled there not in Portugal like so many I see today.

Turns out this was old stock that was only displayed and never fired from a tackle/gun/bait shop that had closed a few years ago. The owner was feeding a few guns at a time on consignment to my gunny and I ended up buying that Browning and then a Smith model 57 that so was unfired that it did not even have a trace of a line on the cylinder. It took serious money to take them guns home but I am not sorry that I have them. I had the disconnect removed from the Hi Power and I also replaced the trigger with an aftermarket trigger that is a lot more shootable as it breaks in the 4# area rather then the high 9# area as the original. I put on a nicer set of grips and it is now a joy to shoot and behold besides.

As for the Model 57 I had my friend Blake Stephenson do his magic with the trigger etc and I added a one piece Jerry Miculek wooden grip. It is shooting like a house afire and it is an altogether wonderful revolver in an overlooked and underappreciated caliber.

Along with a Smith 586, a Taurus 1911, a Ruger Flatop 357, a Winchester 1885 50-90 Sharps, a M-1 Garand and a Marlin 336 CB in 38-55 they will always be in my gun safe as long as I breathe. Those guns are keepers and will not ever be sold or traded off.

trapper9260
04-10-2014, 11:56 AM
As for what was ask I use the biggest of Lyman 147gr and shoot it in my S&W Sigma and shoot great I can also use it in my 357/38spl also.I just size it for the 9mm.It is also a PB also.

FergusonTO35
04-10-2014, 11:25 PM
I really want a BHP Mk. III someday. Something about it just calls to me!