PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb lube question.

keithfan
04-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Hello. New member, longtime shooter here. I`m getting back into muzzle loading but am new to casting, so here is a dumb question;
Can Lee Alox lube replace or be used instead of Bore Butter, grease, etc. on black powder bullets? Obviously would be easier and a lot less messy. I`m shooting a New Englander .50, and a Investarms .54.
Thanks,
keithfan

Bullshop Junior
04-08-2014, 12:11 PM
I doubt it would work very good. Look into the bullshop nasa lube.

johnson1942
04-08-2014, 03:18 PM
ive heard that it is not good from several sources but with my experience ive never had a problem with it with black powder or blackhorn 209. i have one cast bullet .50 cal i use alox in and their is no more fouling than usual with either black or blackhorn 209. it reall works. as i think of it i prelube all my patches for my roundball gun with alox and when it is dry in a couple of days i relube them with a small amount of thompson bore butter. they never schread, cut or burn through and are so good i could reuse them. i love the stuff.

True.grit
04-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Lube also works to soften the fouling. I would use Crisco mixed with beeswax and add olive oil to get the right consistency. I know it can be messy but it works well. You just have to keep a range rag around for clean up.

Mike 56
04-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Not a dumb question Lee recommends tumble lubing all there bullets using alox lube. You can read about it in Modern reloading in the black powder chapter. Anymore i Tumble lube my Lee Real bullets. In the past i have made my own lube 1/4 wax ring, one stick canning wax a few table spoons Crisco, olive oil or bore butter. There are many lubes you can make the one i posted is made out of cheap easy to find ingredients.

Hellgate
04-09-2014, 12:55 AM
Keithfan,
When I first shot BP in a Cowboy Action Match I merely stuffed alox/beeswax lubed bullets into the cases with BP and within about 8 rounds was shooting PATTERNS rather than groups through my rifle. The bore fouled so bad it looked like an old sewer pipe. Unless you want to do a wet swab "pull through" every 5-8 rounds (and get your shirt sleeve or worse, all blackened) then you really need to use a suitable BP lube and lots of it. The lube carrying capacity of the bullet is critical (wide grooves preferred).

OverMax
04-09-2014, 08:37 AM
No. Don't think so.

fouronesix
04-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Hello. New member, longtime shooter here. I`m getting back into muzzle loading but am new to casting, so here is a dumb question;
Can Lee Alox lube replace or be used instead of Bore Butter, grease, etc. on black powder bullets? Obviously would be easier and a lot less messy. I`m shooting a New Englander .50, and a Investarms .54.
Thanks,
keithfan

Answer is simple. Tumble lube some in LLA. Shoot them. Lube some with XYZ muzzleloader conical lube. Shoot them. Compare and report results.

Good Cheer
04-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Lube some with unsalted lard and shoot them. Sometimes it's just plum wunnerful.
I try to make do with a mixture of lanolin, olive oil and beeswax in various amounts, calling it LOOB.