PDA

View Full Version : The impossible .22 rimfire

foesgth
04-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Here is a great article on the problems involved in making .22 ammo.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/Impossible-22-rimfire

Uncle Jimbo
04-08-2014, 11:32 AM
It is now a problem to make 22lr but a few years ago they were not a problem.
Got to make me wonder?
:???::roll::confused:

376Steyr
04-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Opened up the latest issue of one of the better gun rags. They had a writer testing a half dozen new exotic models of .22 LR cartridges; lead-free, sub-sonic and the like. Seeing how the commom folk can't even get regular 40 gr. RN rounds, I was not amused.

Bullshop Junior
04-08-2014, 12:09 PM
The problem is horders. I say a fellow at walmart the other day, buy over 20 boxes of 17 Winchester super mag ammo. When I asked how he liked the rifle he gave me a dumb look. So I asked what he was buying the ammo for. His exact words. "Its 22 ammo" and then he waddled off

lefty o
04-08-2014, 12:50 PM
like most gun rag articles, that just glosses over a couple things.

uscra112
04-09-2014, 03:06 AM
Being retired from an automotive powertrain environment, all I have to say is that making .22 ammo is easy peasy lemon squeezy by comparison. Thing is, for the cheap ammo they don't even try to control their processes, so far as I can see. Bullet weight variance of 2 to 3 grains? Puhleeze.

And what ever happened to Federal UM-1, anyway? US companies can make good ammo - they just don't.

762 shooter
04-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Got to make me wonder?

The article is from 2010.

HangFireW8
04-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Got to make me wonder?

Yeah... The article contains an error. The primer pellet is not inserted by hand! A batch is mixed by hand but is loaded into the loading machine.

Doc Highwall
04-09-2014, 09:30 AM
I still have a unopened case of Federal UM-1, hope to start shooting small-bore prone again this summer.

lefty o
04-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Being retired from an automotive powertrain environment, all I have to say is that making .22 ammo is easy peasy lemon squeezy by comparison. Thing is, for the cheap ammo they don't even try to control their processes, so far as I can see. Bullet weight variance of 2 to 3 grains? Puhleeze.

And what ever happened to Federal UM-1, anyway? US companies can make good ammo - they just don't.

ive got to disagree with much of what you state. making rimfire ammuntion isnt as easy peezy as you'd believe, and i dont know who's bullets your seeing that are 2-3grains different, but ive never seen that kind of variance, and ive literrally had billions (yes with a B) of rimfire bullets through my hands. now there is a company or two who's quality control sucks, but for the most part making rimfire ammuntion is a very tightly controlled process- even the bulk ammo.