PDA

View Full Version : H&R 444 Marling throat, or lack there of

260 Striker
04-07-2014, 10:45 PM
I just bought a H&R in 444 Marlin and loaded some Lyman 429640 bullets sized 430. When closing the gun I felt some resistance and just nudged it closed the second time. I then removed the cartridge and could see the bullet had been engraved to within about 1/16" of the case mouth. Almost no throat in this barrel. Is this common for the 444 Marlin barrels? I had a mild load of Trail Boss so went ahead and fired one cartridge just to see there would be any signs of pressure but everything looked OK. Just wondering if I should send back to H&R to get a longer throat. Don't even know if I could shoot jacketed bullets with this short throat. Also don't want to trim brass back beyond minimum trim length just to seat bullets. Any suggestions?

leftiye
04-08-2014, 04:20 AM
It may not be about .444, it may be about H&R. They (H&R barrels) tend to vary, plus the throat may not be SAAMI, but rather H&R's choice of what to do on the particular day. As an aside, that type of chamber (original 45-70 had no leade) works quite well with bore riding boolits (again original 45-70 military boolit). The good news, you can cut your freebore and leade as you wish - being as how all that metal is still there in your chamber. Choose the boolit (and/or style) you want to use and then cut chamber to macth .

kawasakifreak77
04-09-2014, 06:50 AM
My .35R handi I just built is the same way. Loaded with 158 SWC they engrave over half the driving band above the crimp groove.

Shoots fine.

dualsport
04-13-2014, 02:36 PM
I have a similar H&R .444. If you get some Ranch Dog 265 gr. that were designed for the .444 you will likely find Nirvana. As cast, without gas check, tumble lubed, and Trail Boss shoots real good for me. My H&R isn't a picky gun, so far.

HARRYMPOPE
04-13-2014, 07:03 PM
My new 357 Handi has an enormous throat and I can shoot 250 rifle bullets. My 44 mag is also generous up front.