PDA

View Full Version : Smokeless in bp rifle?

Bob in Revelstoke
01-01-2008, 01:55 AM
I have a Winchester model 1892 in .44wcf. The serial number indicates it was made about 1896 which would be black powder. It came with a single cavity "nut Cracker" type mould. My question is, and I hope this is the right forum, is there a smokeless powder I can use? What about Trail Boss? I have a Colt revolver in 44.40 ca 1906 and I have been using Trail Boss in it. I would like to be able to use it in the rifle as well, or, do I have to stick to black. The rifle is in excellent shape.

Thanks in advance and have a Happy and noisy New year.

Old shooters never die, they just get deprimed.

Buckshot
01-01-2008, 04:42 AM
............Bob, unless Winchester made some 1892 'Specificly' for BP (Like Marlin did) your 1892 was built 10 years AFTER the advent of smokless. The load you're using in your SAA would be a creampuff in your rifle.

................Buckshot

01-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I have almost the exact same rifle and vintage... a little earlier tho at 1892. What Buckshot said. While you can no doubt go a little higher with pressure in the rifle.... no need to push it.

Another thing to think about is .... I have to remind myself of the same thing, always :roll: !!!... is that if you load same cartridge for both rifle and handgun it is much safer and wiser to use only one load..... the load that is suitable for the lesser..... in this case the Colt. I have an early Win. 92 in 38-40, an 1899 manuf. Bisley in 38-40 and a third model Win. 73 in 38-40. They all are close enough in chamber, bore and groove that I only load one load for all. That load is designed for the Bisley... the lesser in this case. That way, in a moment of stupidity, I won't pop the wrong cartridge in the less capable Bisley and wreck a fine/expensive gun!!!

My best luck with the Win 92 in 44-40 is using soft cast 20-1 or softer original syle 200 grain RNFP- FB sized to .430 over a light charge of Trailboss.... in your case the load that works best in your Colt.

Very mild, very accurate!!! and easy to load for :)

Bob in Revelstoke
01-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Thank you for the information. The reason I thought this rifle was for black powder is when the rifle was given to me it came with a quantity of black powder cartridges. Of the forty or so only about ten didn't work. I took them apart, removed the powder, replaced the primer and powder and they worked just fine. I enjoy shooting black, smokeless goes bang, black goes BOOM! along with the smoke and smell and the cursing of others at the next benches. I just wanted to be sure.