PDA

View Full Version : Shiloh Sharps .45 2-7/8 help needed

mudpup
04-07-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm a veteran smokeless reloader, including casting, but am new to this forum and to BPCR loading and shooting in general. I sure could use some help. I inherited a Shiloh Sharps several years ago and want to get serious about loading for it. My barrel slugs right at 0.458" and of course want to use bullets sized for that bore. I've heard Shiloh chambers can be tight, but MAN this thing is TIGHT. What's the trick? I have tried cut-down .45-120 brass fireformed and inside neck reamed. No go. I've tried Starline .45 2.6" brass extruded to 2.875" ditto on the inside neck reaming. No go. With both of these case configurations it will barely chamber 0.456" bullets and that's only after running the loaded round back through my sizing die (Yeah I KNOW you should never do that). Starline .45 2.6" cases work fine with the 0.458" bullets but I hate to shoot short cases in the gun. Do I need to turn the outside of the necks? Is there a better case to use? I cannot be the only guy out there with this problem? I apologize for my stupidity and throw myself on the mercy of this forum.

Sincerely,

Befuddled and bewildered

Red River Rick
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Do a chamber cast...............that'll tell you most of what you want to know.

RRR

BruceB
04-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Based on my personal experience with the Shiloh Rifle Company.... CALL SHILOH!

They are very helpful with rifle problems.

At the very least, they should have some suggestions, and they may very well suggest that you send the rifle to them for examination and possible repair.... likely at VERY low cost (if any).

They build the rifles, and they KNOW the rifles. Give them a chance at resolving the difficulty. Groping around here might do the trick, but the chances are far better with Shiloh.

Don McDowell
04-07-2014, 04:18 PM
I am wondering if you got ahold of a "paper patch" chamber?
A call to Shiloh with the serial number will tell you how it left the factory.

mudpup
04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for advice guys!!

RRR - A chamber cast will be quick...

BruceB - and then I'll call Shiloh armed with the chamber dimensions.

John Allen
04-07-2014, 04:35 PM
The shilohs have super tight chambers. I ended up starting with factory loaded brass in mine and do not bother resizing.

WARD O
04-07-2014, 06:44 PM
I am wondering if you got ahold of a "paper patch" chamber?
A call to Shiloh with the serial number will tell you how it left the factory.

I shoot these rifles as well and I would agree with Don that you might have an intentionally tight chamber for use with paper patch bullets. The case would be sized to loosly hold a wrapped bullet of approx 449-450 diameter.

Lead pot
04-07-2014, 06:48 PM
This almost sounds like it's a loading problem. Are you compressing the powder a little while seating the bullet?
If so your expanding the bullet nose enough that it don't seat into the throat.

Nobade
04-08-2014, 07:46 AM
If you have one of their dedicated paper patch chambers, you are one lucky guy who also is going to have a lot of learning to do as you find out you must now forget everything you know about loading ammo for smokeless powder arms and come over to the dark side!

-Nobade

Gunlaker
04-08-2014, 10:51 AM
In addition to what Kurt and Kenny said, be careful of how much of a "bell" you put on the case mouth. Post the outide diameter of your loaded rounds and it'll go a long way to diagnosing the problem.

Chris.

powderburnerr
04-08-2014, 10:53 AM
like Kenny and Kurt said. check the case mouth with your caliper . . I believe .480 is the magic number , if the case mouth exceeds this it wont chamber , also the bullet that is exposed has to be less than 450. on the nose portion.
you do not say which bullet you are using but one of lees round noses is too big on the front to work in the Shiloh chamber.

montana_charlie
04-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Thanks for advice guys!!

RRR - A chamber cast will be quick...
While taking that diameter measurement, also record the depth of your chamber.
Eventually, you will want to know what it is.

CM

bigted
04-08-2014, 01:58 PM
a warm welcome to the fun forum. you are in the rite place to find your answers. this is going to be a fun ride for you ... being a 'veteran' reloader and caster ... this is going to turn you on yer ear a time or two. these blackpowder loaded cartridges are so much fun and exciting that if you are not careful ... the intoxication of them will cause you to question everything you have learned thus far in your loading and shooting experiences.

obtain a few cans of Ballistol for mixing with water ... some Dawn dish washing soap ... a few jugs to haul water in ... case flairing die ... factory crimp die ... special primer decapping tool ... compression plug ... too many thing to mention rite now but ... suffice it to say that the world you are entering is a hoot and will make you long to set around a campfire and yearn for yesteryear and the free hunting that was enjoyed by the ODG's.

doc1876
05-10-2014, 10:55 AM
do you think someone fired 45-70s in it, and left some "debris" in the chamber?
the chamber cast should tell this issue if you can not see it