PDA

View Full Version : Nifty project and a little nostolgia

beezapilot
04-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice old man at the trap club, too infirm to shoot, but has been the mentor and coach of a great many new shooters, and intermediate shooters looking to improve (myself included). A wealth of practical knowledge on chokes, reloading, equipment who gracefully never volunteers much of anything- but will answer in what ever detail, what ever question you've got. So when he asked if I could replace the buttplate on his favorite old shotgun, how could I possibly say no?

Laminated some aluminum and ebony scrap that was kicking around the shop and found a 1935 Buffalo nickel (his birth year), refinished the stock, and put it all together. Came out OK.

Now for the nostalgia- it is a JC Higgins model 60, lightweight 12 gauge auto- with a wicked rate of fire, almost no cycle time at all. According to the literature that could find, it is a rotating bolt design borrowed from the M-1 Garande and state the cycle time is 5 rounds per second!!! As Clarence phrases it- back when Sears sold real things to real people.

gnoahhh
04-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Pretty nifty! I've made a couple butt plates out of ebony that have held up better than I thought they would. I definitely like the inlaid nickel from his birth year.

Another neat trick with buffalo nickels I saw done and wish to try myself was a guy made drawer pulls out of them for on a a small chest he made. He made them dish-shaped by use of a home made punch and die, and soldered threaded shanks onto the backsides to go into the wood.

azrednek
04-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Came out OK..

"OK" pretty much an understatement. I certainly envy your skills as "excellent" would better describe what I see.

Reloader06
04-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Beautiful job. Way to go for all the knowledge he bestowed.

Bullshop Junior
04-07-2014, 02:34 PM
He should be pretty happy with that. I would be!

Any Cal.
04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Pretty neat.

HollandNut
04-08-2014, 12:54 AM
nice me like

MrWolf
04-08-2014, 06:36 PM
That came out much better than "OK" - nice job and I am sure he will appreciate it.

beezapilot
04-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Thank you gentlemen very kindly. I love odd little projects- did a series of wooden steering wheels a while back for a buddy who restores MGs- that was a pleasent challenge...

The best news, of course, it that he did like it very much.