PDA

View Full Version : rcbs replacement

starmac
04-07-2014, 12:06 AM
I am curious, I have never used them, about the only thing I have actually needed replacment for is things like decapping pins or maybe even the stem and they are available locally.

A member sold an old 505 scale with out the bail and pan support (these are also available locally) and another member said to call them and they would send one at no cost. do they actually do free replacement for loss??
I have a 510 scale that I traded for without the bail and pan support, just figured if I ever needed it I would buy one, never dreamed they would send you one at no cost.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-07-2014, 03:34 AM
Starmac,

Answers in quote below with my experiences with a similar situation.

A member sold an old 505 scale with out the bail and pan support (these are also available locally) and another member said to call them and they would send one at no cost. do they actually do free replacement for loss?? So far, it's been my experience with RCBS that if you call this with a problem with a piece of their equipment, are polite and honest over the phone, they'll help you. Usually by sending out the part.

I have a 510 scale that I traded for without the bail and pan support, just figured if I ever needed it I would buy one, never dreamed they would send you one at no cost. Before you buy, call them and explain the situation, see how they handle it. My experience they will just send it to you in the mail. If you want it faster, you'll prolly have to pay for shipping.

Here is my personal experience on a 1010 scale I bought used: It arrived correctly packed, but was in rough looking shape, worse than the picture I looked at when I bought it. Cover was stained/dirty and warped, likely by some chemical. Scale wouldn't zero and I was using proper RCBS scale calibration weights and following the manual. After asking on the forum, I made a decision to call them.

After talking to them, the customer service person they called a tech told me to ship it in with a description of the problem. I can't remember if they gave me an RMA, but they did tell me how to package and ship it for it to arrive in good shape. I packed it up, typed up a letter to explain the issues to the receiving person and mailed it off to RCBS. Then I got busy with other things and forgot about the scale and didn't sweat when/if it would come back, because I had a Redding I was using daily.

One day, not sure how long later, but probably a good while, a brand new scale showed up on my door step delivered US mail. Brand new box, brand new stuff, brand new paperwork. Near as I can tell, it is not a refurb nor is it the scale I sent off. It's brand new. RCBS never called, never sent me a bill or anything. Just sent me a new replacement scale for the bad one I bought used.

My personal opinion is, even Dillon with their might reputation doesn't do any better than that. I had the same experience with anything and everything I've called them about. One time, I was trying to make a Hornady case activated powder drop work with an RCBS Uniflow. Called and tried to buy the adapter parts I needed from their case activated powder drop. They told me what I needed, then mailed it to me and absolutely refused to take my money. Supported a product that wasn't theirs! Can you do better than that? I think not.

Bayou52
04-07-2014, 05:38 AM
I am curious, I have never used them, about the only thing I have actually needed replacment for is things like decapping pins or maybe even the stem and they are available locally.

A member sold an old 505 scale with out the bail and pan support (these are also available locally) and another member said to call them and they would send one at no cost. do they actually do free replacement for loss??
I have a 510 scale that I traded for without the bail and pan support, just figured if I ever needed it I would buy one, never dreamed they would send you one at no cost.

I would call and frankly discuss with a RCBS customer service rep. RCBS has the best customer service in the industry. I've called them to purchase parts that I ruined through my own fault. Even after admitting this, customer service reps have refused to let me purchase parts.

For this reason, I go out of my way to purchase RCBS products.

RCBS gets my business the old fashioned way - they earn it.

Ickisrulz
04-07-2014, 08:55 AM
RCBS sent me a new Uniflow hopper for free. They charged me for a new tumbler motor though. I guess because it was electrical. Additionally, I always get my rebate checks from RCBS when they offer them. That is more than I can say about other companies (not shooting related).

cheese1566
04-07-2014, 09:05 AM
i bought a bare stripped down AmmoMaster2 at a gunshop. I inquired to RCBS via email about buying the needed parts to get it up and running again. I explained up front how I bought it and would like an estimate on parts costs. After a few emails I sent them a copy of the parts diagram with the parts I needed high lighted in color and a parts listing. They replied back that would send all except a Uniflow and asked for my address. I replied on a cost idea and they said nothing...they like to see their items in use. Cost me nothing!

starmac
04-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks, maybe I will give them a shout. This is just a backup I guess, and the pan off the 10/10 works and zeros perfectly if I ever did need it, but I may go ahead and get it up and running.

rpludwig
04-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Another happy green user here....unearthed a PBII and Uniflow several years ago when I got back into reloading....needed primer shuttles, springs, detent ball, case kicker, shell holder spring pins, allen screws, powder hopper and half a dozen more parts due to some corrosion, some lost, and abused. All came no charge, no shipping charges, well packaged, lickety split, despite my offer to pay for the parts.

I have some red & blue stuff, but always default to, and recommend green to others.

ph4570
04-07-2014, 03:37 PM
RCBS has replaced several parts for me. On at least two occasions the part was lost. Granted they were small items but just the same....

Skunk1
04-07-2014, 07:53 PM
I've used them multiple times without a hiccup. Parts are here within a week no questions asked.

Wayne Smith
04-08-2014, 08:03 AM
My major experience is much the same as Dave's. My first 1010 I got off eBay cheap because the cover was seriously discolored and did not photograph well. I think I got it for around $15. When I got it I tried to zero it and it wouldn't. It was not consistent in weighing the same thing multiple times. I did not even call. I just packed it up in a box and sent it with a letter requesting repair. About a month later I got a box from RCBS. I opened it to find a brand spanking new 1010! My guess is that it was not repairable because other than the cover it looked good.

NineInchNails
04-08-2014, 02:47 PM
RCBS is excellent with customer support. Usually very little to no questions and they fix ya right up. It's rare to come across a company that does business like that.

I had a RCBS die set that had an issue with JUST the decapping rod. I called, very nice lady answered the phone and she said they would just send me another set! She didn't ask me any questions. I told the nice lady she didn't have to do that ... all I really need is just a 'decapping rod'. She wouldn't hear of it and insisted on sending me an entirely new set completely free of charge. When I received it I noticed they even threw in an EXTRA decapping rod. Now I have 2 brand spankin new die sets!

Yeah I'm really happy with RCBS. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but RCBS is my 'go to' for most of my reloading needs.

Airman Basic
04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Sent me a new hopper for my Little Dandy. Postage paid and all. Appreciate little things like that.

weasel 21
04-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Wonder if Ford, Chevy or computer companies would have service like this? Nope , the day your warranty expires you're on your own.

troyboy
04-09-2014, 09:04 PM
I have had the same experience with RCBS. The warranty isn't free it is paid every time one of their products is purchased. With that being said. RCBS customer service is the lead that all others follow.

Hardcast416taylor
04-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Only flaw I`ve encountered with their replacement policy was when I got a "new" style hopper to replace the "old" style hopper on my very early Uniflow measure. Seems they changed the O.D. of the bottom of the hopper plastic when they changed the metal size recess ring on the base unit sometime along the way. I needed to have the base plastic O.D. turned down to fit. They apologised saying they haven`t had any of the old style clear hoppers in a great many years.Robert