PDA

View Full Version : Colt Delta Elite review published.

Hunter
04-06-2014, 08:08 PM
I have been a huge fan of the 10mm Auto since about 1999 when I picked up my Colt Delta Elite GCNM. I began reloading for that round and really gained an appreciation for it.
When I was as SHOT I was able to secure a new Colt Delta Elite to review. I got it not too long ago and just wrapped up the review.

Here it is, http://rangehot.com/got-chocolate-peanut-butter/

Thoughts please.

fivegunner
04-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Very well done. Thanks. :D

Silver Jack Hammer
04-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Very interesting and well done. I read your history of the 10mm too. As a law enforcement officer my two cents are that we were suffering under the politics of underpowered pistols and law enforcement officers were losing their lives and no one cared until it happened to a couple of FBI agents. I remembered when there were "citizens panels" that condemned the use of hollow points by law enforcement and large police agencies mandated no magnum ammo in their officer's guns in spite of the objection by those who actually worked the streets and faced the armed bad guys. The advice of Elmer Keith was ignored. It was the Platt and Maddox shooting that changed that.

Today most officers use the .40 S&W. The 10mm was too much gun at first, the FBI agents I talked with about the 10mm hated it and the gun it came in, too heavy and too much recoil for guys who wore suits without Sam Browne belts. I only remember seeing one 10mm in law enforcement, a guy from another agency showed up at one of our shoots. We had a moving target set up and he couldn't hit with it, too much recoil.

Then there's the issue of how the guns last with the 10mm. I carry a 1911 in 45, the system was designed around that cartridge, how would the 1911 hold up to a 10mm? I've seen many manufacturers drill out their 9mm's to 40's and put heavy springs in them and sell them to us as 40's when the 40 was inducted. That didn't work out for us. Smith and Wesson came out with a real .40 in the 4006 but they were too late to the party. I fear the same thing, that the 1911 wouldn't hold up in the 10mm.

Colt has made the Single Action Army in 9mm. I wrote to them years ago and asked why they don't make a SAA in .38-40, .40 S&W and 10mm. It would be the first three caliber revolver ever sold and the SAA frame would easily handle the 10mm and shooters would have a flat shooting SAA with more humph than a .357. They never answered me.

I appreciate your articles.

willvabch
04-07-2014, 10:03 AM
My wife loves her Delta Elite. We bought it new at a local gun show a couple of years back. She shoots well with it. I like it too. My Colt 45 is more of a push as far as recoil goes. The 10 has more of a sharp recoil. You can tell the difference.

Hunter
04-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Very interesting and well done. I read your history of the 10mm too. As a law enforcement officer my two cents are that we were suffering under the politics of underpowered pistols and law enforcement officers were losing their lives and no one cared until it happened to a couple of FBI agents. I remembered when there were "citizens panels" that condemned the use of hollow points by law enforcement and large police agencies mandated no magnum ammo in their officer's guns in spite of the objection by those who actually worked the streets and faced the armed bad guys. The advice of Elmer Keith was ignored. It was the Platt and Maddox shooting that changed that.

Today most officers use the .40 S&W. The 10mm was too much gun at first, the FBI agents I talked with about the 10mm hated it and the gun it came in, too heavy and too much recoil for guys who wore suits without Sam Browne belts. I only remember seeing one 10mm in law enforcement, a guy from another agency showed up at one of our shoots. We had a moving target set up and he couldn't hit with it, too much recoil.

Then there's the issue of how the guns last with the 10mm. I carry a 1911 in 45, the system was designed around that cartridge, how would the 1911 hold up to a 10mm? I've seen many manufacturers drill out their 9mm's to 40's and put heavy springs in them and sell them to us as 40's when the 40 was inducted. That didn't work out for us. Smith and Wesson came out with a real .40 in the 4006 but they were too late to the party. I fear the same thing, that the 1911 wouldn't hold up in the 10mm.

Colt has made the Single Action Army in 9mm. I wrote to them years ago and asked why they don't make a SAA in .38-40, .40 S&W and 10mm. It would be the first three caliber revolver ever sold and the SAA frame would easily handle the 10mm and shooters would have a flat shooting SAA with more humph than a .357. They never answered me.

I appreciate your articles.

Awesome perspective. I would like to in some way share that with my readers.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Clay M
04-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I have a Delta Elite Gold Cup. It is an extremely accurate pistol. I am more interested in the accuracy level than trying to push the limits on velocity. Mine was made prior to any frame enhancements by Colt.

Silver Jack Hammer
04-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Hunter, if you are asking for my permission, go ahead. You have it.

Hunter
04-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Hunter, if you are asking for my permission, go ahead. You have it.
I was and I will thank you very much. I will be sure to include your user name and this forum.

robertbank
04-09-2014, 01:54 AM
Hunter love to see ou review the S&W M&P PRO and CORE models. The later is easily equipped with a slide mounted optic sight. Some say it won't be long before LEO's will move to the slide mounted sight.

Take Care

Bob

willvabch
04-09-2014, 08:36 AM
You can publish my comments if you want to.

Hunter
04-10-2014, 01:04 AM
Hunter love to see ou review the S&W M&P PRO and CORE models. The later is easily equipped with a slide mounted optic sight. Some say it won't be long before LEO's will move to the slide mounted sight.

Take Care

Bob

Why don't you make your way to NC like you have been promising me for almost 10 years now and we can talk about it? Hugs Bob.

robertbank
04-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Why don't you make your way to NC like you have been promising me for almost 10 years now and we can talk about it? Hugs Bob.

You get engaged and set a date and I could be enticed. I may never see North Carolina again.:x

All the Best

Bob

Hunter
04-10-2014, 11:24 PM
You get engaged and set a date and I could be enticed. I may never see North Carolina again.:x

All the Best

Bob

Easy brother, I am way too immature to get married. I could lie to you about it though, or bribe you wheel weights.

robertbank
04-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Wheelweights would work. [smilie=2:

Take Care

Bob

DougGuy
04-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Oh we could get him hooked on some of that North Carolina livermush! :bigsmyl2: There are a few things that no other place has, livermush is one of them. If you grew up with it, you will forever miss it no matter where your road leads..

Hunter
04-12-2014, 12:59 AM
Oh we could get him hooked on some of that North Carolina livermush! :bigsmyl2: There are a few things that no other place has, livermush is one of them. If you grew up with it, you will forever miss it no matter where your road leads..
You have a very valid point but I am parshall to potted meat myself.

Lloyd Smale
04-12-2014, 06:26 AM
another big fan of the 10mm. Now if colt would just make me one comander sized id have to open my wallet