PDA

View Full Version : 32 cal crockett rifle

True.grit
04-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Hello,

Has anyone tried the 32 cal made by Traditions? Any problems or concerns? I am considering getting one to teach my kids to shoot BP. I wish it was a flinter. I wonder if it could be change over? Any info would be helpful, Thanks

starmac
04-06-2014, 08:00 PM
You might try a search, Boerrancher and a few others has them, and there is some pretty good threads on them.

mooman76
04-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Hello,

Has anyone tried the 32 cal made by Traditions? Any problems or concerns? I am considering getting one to teach my kids to shoot BP. I wish it was a flinter. I wonder if it could be change over? Any info would be helpful, Thanks

If you really want a flinter, buy a flinter. It would cost you at least $200 to do a half way decent swap over and still might not come out as good as one made for it.

triggerhappy243
04-07-2014, 02:02 AM
if I am not mistaken, the barrel would have to be changed to convert from cap to flint. I could be wrong.... ask my ex-wife.

Reaper
04-07-2014, 02:09 AM
20 grains of Swiss 3f and a patched round ball and you pretty much own small game out to 50 yards.

Junior1942
04-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Ten to 12 grs of Pyro P and there will be enough left of a squirrel to eat. If yours doesn't put 3 PRBs in one hole @ 25 yards, you're doing something wrong. Also it has a patent breech so you'll need to find a brush to fit inside it.

dondiego
04-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Where would one find one of those brushes for a patent breech Junior?

Junior1942
04-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Where would one find one of those brushes for a patent breech Junior?I use a plain ol' brass brush for a 22 caliber, IIRC. Whatever diameter brush enters the patent breech with very slight force. If you don't clean it out, you'll get misfires. In case you don't know what a patent breech is, think upside down beer bottle.

dondiego
04-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks. I think that I can find a .22 brush!

mooman76
04-07-2014, 12:17 PM
A slightly larger brush might work also like a 30 cal that is well used a slightly worn out. Since it is a 32 cal and already small the breech shouldn't be much smaller.

Hanshi
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
I had a Crockett for 13 years until I sold it to get a flinter. Crocketts are very accurate, easy to tote, cheap to feed and care for. I liked mine a LOT. 20 grains of 3F black will give a little bit more power than .22LR hollow points. A .32 can be a powerhouse, too. It will easily take anything up to the size of coyote and a bit larger. My Crockett accounted for lots of squirrels, targets and tin cans.

JeffinNZ
04-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Can't say I have read anthing bad about the Crockett.

On the subject of flinters; if you want a flinter save your pennies and buy a quality gun. Any cheap flinter will have you pulling your hair out.

True.grit
04-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Wow you guy's are great. I think I will pick one up in the next few weeks. Does anyone cut their patches? I thought that I could make a cutter out of 3/8" id pipe. Has anyone done this?

As to the patented, breech is it only cleanable from the muzzle?

I think that the advice about the flinter is good advice. I think for the purposes of teaching the basics for BP shooting a cap lock might be better, at least for kids.

Thanks for all the responses, you guys are great source of info.

mooman76
04-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Yes most of us cut our own patches and have made cutters from pipe and such. Square patches do just as well as the round ones. As far as the Patent breech goes you clean the gun the same way as any other except you just pay extra attention to the narrow channel near the breech.

Bardo
04-08-2014, 12:34 AM
I cut my own patches but 3/8" is way to small. I cut squares at about 13/16" for the 32, 36 cals. I buy the desired material (needs to be 100% cotton) from a fabric store. Then wash it a few times, then rip them in strips, then cut the squares. A common material is the red pillow ticking seems to mic about .015 every where I have gotten it. Some just rip the strips then cut at the muzzle.

Bardo

True.grit
04-08-2014, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=Bardo;2725681]I cut my own patches but 3/8" is way to small. I cut squares at about 13/16" for the 32, 36 cals. I buy the desired material (needs to be 100% cotton) from a fabric store. Then wash it a few times, then rip them in strips, then cut the squares. A common material is the red pillow ticking seems to mic about .015 every where I have gotten it. Some just rip the strips then cut at the muzzle.

Do you think 3/4 or 5/8 would be a more appropriate size for 32cal? I like to lube all my patches with Crisco, bees wax and olive oil so I think I need to precut them. I read some where on this forum that you can stick a ram rod with patches that are to big.

Moonman76 I understand now what you mean about the flash channel. Some of my other caplocks have a screw that can be removed for cleaning. I would think this would be the case on this rifle. I will find out soon. I placed an order for one from Midsouth today. Thanks again for all the info. I can hardly wait to shoot it. 8)

Bardo
04-08-2014, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=Bardo;2725681]I cut my own patches but 3/8" is way to small. I cut squares at about 13/16" for the 32, 36 cals. I buy the desired material (needs to be 100% cotton) from a fabric store. Then wash it a few times, then rip them in strips, then cut the squares. A common material is the red pillow ticking seems to mic about .015 every where I have gotten it. Some just rip the strips then cut at the muzzle.

Do you think 3/4 or 5/8 would be a more appropriate size for 32cal? I like to lube all my patches with Crisco, bees wax and olive oil so I think I need to precut them. I read some where on this forum that you can stick a ram rod with patches that are to big.

Moonman76 I understand now what you mean about the flash channel. Some of my other caplocks have a screw that can be removed for cleaning. I would think this would be the case on this rifle. I will find out soon. I placed an order for one from Midsouth today. Thanks again for all the info. I can hardly wait to shoot it. 8)

You need to go at least 3/4". I don't think 5/8" is big enough.

Boogieman
04-08-2014, 10:08 PM
If you have a drill press you an make a patch cutter out of a hole saw. First remove the pilot drill then SLOWLY grind the teeth off the saw .Don't over heat it. Staple your cloth to a scrap board or piece of plywood You can cut several layers at a time. I run my press at low speed . I made different sizes for 22-60ca for shooting & cleaning .Thin cotton blankets from yard sales make good cheap cleaning patches.

True.grit
04-08-2014, 10:54 PM
If you have a drill press you an make a patch cutter out of a hole saw. First remove the pilot drill then SLOWLY grind the teeth off the saw .Don't over heat it. Staple your cloth to a scrap board or piece of plywood You can cut several layers at a time. I run my press at low speed . I made different sizes for 22-60ca for shooting & cleaning .Thin cotton blankets from yard sales make good cheap cleaning patches.

Thanks that is a good tip. I will give it a shot.

bardo, I was thinking 3/4 round but square would work as well. I lube them by putting into a ziplock bag and pouring the lube into the bag while still a liquid. When it cools, it penetrates all the patches evenly. Not messy at all and does not take much lube.

True.grit
04-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Ok I got it in the mail on Friday and shot it for the first time this morning. Wow what a shooter. I casted some .311 rb and cut some t-shirt patches that mic at .012. Lubed them with a little mink oil and this is the result at 35 yrd standing prone.102135
This gun can out shoot me. I cannot wait for squirrel season. Thanks for all the info

Maven
04-15-2014, 10:54 AM
True.grit, et al., A quick & dirty way to determine the diameter or width (if you use squares) of a patch is to multiply the ball diameter, e.g. .311" x 2.3, which = .7153". Round that to 3/4" and you're in business.

johnson1942
04-15-2014, 06:48 PM
ok im going to stir up the traditionalist and suggest a magsprark 209 shot gun primer nipple and use about 20 grains by volume of black horn 209 powder. same accracy and no cleaning between shots and very little when done shooting. i use this system on my traditional .45 roundball gun and it is a joy to shoot. very accurate and only clean when im done. ok guys lay into me.

True.grit
04-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Maven, I cut some 3/4 patches and they work great. Thanks for the formula It makes perfect sense.

johnson1942, The gun likes 20 gr, but I use 3f black. Fouling was not an issue at all. I shot about 25 rounds and did not clean between shots. I do however use mink oil on my patches so I think that helps with the fouling. It cleaned up easy. There is one problem that I have found. The nipple has no clearance when tightened. It is going to be a problem to remove with the traditional nipple wrench. I think that a open-end wrench might work. I do not know if there is a different nipple wrench available. It is very fun to shoot and my 9 year old girl and 7 year old boy like to shoot it as well. Thanks for all the info that you guys have given me. My next task is to make my own BP. Thanks again.

fiberoptik
04-21-2014, 12:47 AM
Check out Dutch Schultz BP System at http://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com
Best $ I ever spent since picking up smokers.:brokenima

True.grit
04-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Check out Dutch Schultz BP System at http://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com
Best $ I ever spent since picking up smokers.:brokenima
Very good link. Thanks for sharing. Smokers sure get in your blood don't they!

Swede44mag
04-23-2014, 10:42 AM
True.grit
I am glad your Crockett rifle fires I bought one at Sportsman's Warehouse.
I put a cap on it to see how loud it was without any powder it would not fire the cap.
I took it back to Sportsman's told them what was happening the manager took it outside it wouldn't fire a cap for him either.
He took another Crockett off the shelf went outside tried to fire a cap and no bang.
Sportsman's gave me back my money and sent all of the crockett's back to be checked out.
I went back a few times they did not have any crockett's for sale and since have closed the store.
I was sure dissapointed and would still like to have a .32 to shoot.
I liked the Crockett because it was light and looked to be a fun gun to squill hunt with.

waksupi
04-23-2014, 11:06 AM
True.grit
I am glad your Crockett rifle fires I bought one at Sportsman's Warehouse.
I put a cap on it to see how loud it was without any powder it would not fire the cap.
I took it back to Sportsman's told them what was happening the manager took it outside it wouldn't fire a cap for him either.
He took another Crockett off the shelf went outside tried to fire a cap and no bang.
Sportsman's gave me back my money and sent all of the crockett's back to be checked out.
I went back a few times they did not have any crockett's for sale and since have closed the store.
I was sure dissapointed and would still like to have a .32 to shoot.
I liked the Crockett because it was light and looked to be a fun gun to squill hunt with.
It just needed the nipple turned down to fit the cap.

dondiego
04-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Mine wouldn't fire a cap when I bought it either. The hammer wasn't falling far enough to even hit the cap. I noticed a hammer stop on the side of the lock. A bit of filing on the hammer stop allowed the hammer to fall a bit further contacting the cap and setting it off. It was very frustrating for a new gun but an easy fix. I could also probably have replaced the nipple with a taller one. Now I just need to get out and shoot it!

Swede44mag
04-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Mine wouldn't fire a cap when I bought it either. The hammer wasn't falling far enough to even hit the cap. I noticed a hammer stop on the side of the lock. A bit of filing on the hammer stop allowed the hammer to fall a bit further contacting the cap and setting it off. It was very frustrating for a new gun but an easy fix. I could also probably have replaced the nipple with a taller one. Now I just need to get out and shoot it!

I probably could bend the hammer to strike the nipple correctly but being a new rifle and more than $400.00 should I have to fix it?
What if the hammer broke while bending I can’t go to Ace Hardware and buy a new one.
The hammer was so far off that it only hit one edge of the cap I looked at their web site they show how the drum is drilled for proper nipple alignment.
All I can say is their quality control stinks.
I have been dreaming about a squil rifle and now probably a Flint Lock.

dondiego
04-23-2014, 05:00 PM
A couple of minutes with a file on the hammer stop and hammer and mine was done. No bending. I didn't have many options. I had bought it on the way home from a hunting trip 3 hours away. It wasn't going back!

Post 500.......using this handle anyway.

Don

True.grit
04-23-2014, 08:13 PM
I guess I got lucky but this one fires great. I got it from Midsouth they had the best price and they were in stock. The only problem that I have, is the clearance on the nipple. To get a nipple wrench on it is impossible. I even tried with a tradition's pistol nipple wrench. Any one out there have this problem or a solution for it?

Bardo
04-24-2014, 10:02 PM
My sportsmans warehouse had a traditions nipple wrench and it works great. Still a tight fit but it gets in there. This was not for pistols.

Bardo

I guess I got lucky but this one fires great. I got it from Midsouth they had the best price and they were in stock. The only problem that I have, is the clearance on the nipple. To get a nipple wrench on it is impossible. I even tried with a tradition's pistol nipple wrench. Any one out there have this problem or a solution for it?

Newtire
02-21-2016, 04:18 AM
A couple of minutes with a file on the hammer stop and hammer and mine was done. No bending. I didn't have many options. I had bought it on the way home from a hunting trip 3 hours away. It wasn't going back!

Post 500.......using this handle anyway.

DonSame thing with mine Don! easy fix, thanks!

carolina sorillo
02-22-2016, 02:37 PM
I used to squirrel hunt with a scoped Marlin 39a that was so accurate hunting got boring. So I figured I'd get a .32 muzzleloader. I thought it'd be more challenging. I was wrong, the Crockett was just as accurate as the Marlin!! Great little gun.

C.S.

mooman76
02-22-2016, 04:52 PM
I used to hunt them with a Marlin 32a also many years ago. Wish I hadn't got rid of it and wish I hadn't got rid of the gun I traded it for either. A Stevens Fox double 20 gauge with silver triggers.