PDA

View Full Version : Attention Maricopa County Arizona reloaders.... inquiring about a group buy.

Artful
04-06-2014, 03:05 PM
So I'm thinking I want to try IMR7383 as some others on this board have had some success with it.
But I'm cheap and want the best price possible - So what I am checking for is if we have other's interested in doing a group buy so they can get their's at best price also...

I'm interested in ordering from ...

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Visa, MasterCard or Prepaid Order. Prices are subject to change without notice.

Shipping Extra.

No HAZMAT charge on 6-jug orders.

All powders are either new (never loaded) or pulldown (recovered from pulldown ammo).
Surplus powders can vary greatly in burning rate from lot to lot.
Always begin with starting loads and work from there.
No HAZ MAT fee ($27.50) on orders of 6 jugs only (or multiples), mix-or-match
Can ship up to 6 jugs on one HAZ MAT fee.

HAZMAT fee charged on less-than-six jug orders.

ID required for purchase

IMR7383 This is a slow burning stick powder originally used for the Cal. .50
M48A2 Spotter/Tracer round. This is not the same case as that known as
the .50 Browning Machine Gun cartridge. This powder is NOT recommended
for the .50 BMG round. It is a very bulky, single-based powder, composed
of 85% nitrocellulose and 15% stabilizers, flash inhibitors and graphite;
that was developed to replace the IMR4831 powder that was being used.
It has about the same propellant energy as IMR4831 when compared in equal
volume. IMR4831 data can be used. Begin with starting loads, reduced 15%
by weight.
This is new powder, not pulldown.

$56/7# jug. 6 jugs would be $336 + shipping but no $27 hazmat fee.

reloading data
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/7383/Jim7383.html

--- Your not locked into this powder as it says mix and match to make up 6 jugs is fine

They also are showing

WC857 New item. A slow burning ball type powder developed for the .50BMG tracer
ammo. This powder burns faster than the typical WC860 thru WC872 series of
powders. This powder has not been released as a canister powder. Loads can
be worked up using H-870 or AA-8700 data, less 10%. Burning rate seems to be
similar to Hodgdon H1000 or Reloder 25. An excellent choice for the .300 Win Mag,
7mm Mag, and other magnum type calibers. Good results in .25-06 with heavy bullets.
This is pulldown ball powder from Lake City.
$72/8# jug

WC860 Original application is U.S. .50 Cal. BMG ammo, used for the Ball
M33 and API M8 projectile. A ball powder which can be loaded using
Hodgdon H870 or AA8700 data. Just received a limited supply.
This is pulldown ball powder from Lake City.
$56/8# jug; $216/4-8# jugs ($54/jug); $300/6-8# jugs ($50/jug)

WC870 Here is some of the exact original type powder as was sold by Hodgdon, called
H870, until discontinued. A ball powder originally used in the 20mm Vulcan
round, until replaced by WC872. This powder is also very similar to Accurate
Arms AA8700. Because of the lot to lot variations in burn rate, be sure to
begin with listed starting load data. Works great in the .50BMG and other
large capacity magnums.
This is pulldown ball powder.
$48/8# jug; $176/4-8# jugs ($44/jug); $240/6-8# jugs ($40/jug)

WC872 Original application is U.S. 20mm Vulcan ammo. A ball powder which
can be loaded using Hodgdon H870 or AA8700 data. Very limited supply.
Ideal for .50 BMG and other large capacity magnums.
An unexpected acquisition.
This is pulldown ball powder.
$48/8# jug; $176/4-8# jugs ($44/jug); $240/6-8# jugs ($40/jug)

So if any of you want to band together with me to purchase at this time or by end of April at least.
Please respond to this thread with your wants and we'll see if we can get one or two multiple jug orders together.

Shiloh
04-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Not from your county, but applaud your post. This is a fabulous way to buy powder and disperse the shipping and HAZ-MAT fees.
I have done this several times here with the local shooters.

Shiloh

Artful
04-13-2014, 08:35 AM
I was surprised at the non-response I'm geting.

Artful
04-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Wow - over 250 have looked but no takers - was it something I said?

wgr
04-17-2014, 11:32 PM
over the years i have bought lots of powder from him. his place is only about 50miles from me

MT Chambers
04-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Slow burning powders like that are not that popular for cast bullet shooters, I reload for about 25 cals. with cast bullets and I've never used such a slow burning powder.

bangerjim
04-18-2014, 01:01 AM
I'd be happy to pitch in, but I cannot see any use for that powder in what I do.

Hope you find some takers.

Come up with some bulk FAST burners and we can talk!

Bangerjim

freebullet
04-18-2014, 02:30 AM
Were I anywhere near you I would jump on that. Despite most of our shooting being cast we still use a lot of jbulls and that is quite a savings on powder well suited for many rifle calibers. Any way to ship some this way? Can I just order it from him? Is he a reputable distributor?

Elkins45
04-19-2014, 12:58 PM
I bought some in person when I was in Owensboro last year. It's been useful under cast in 358 Win, although not terribly efficient. So have some of the 50 BMG powders. It is a bit dirty and leaves unburned grains in the bore.

I wonder if the low flash characteristics would make it useful for shooting through a can?

GRUMPA
04-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Artful, I just noticed this thread, although I'm still searching for data I believe I can use this in my 06 without issues. I wouldn't actually say it's a sub for 4831, it still seems to have a viable place on my shelf. Just put me down for 2 jugs of 7383 and let me know what's the expected date you might get the order. If you place the order I guess that's still in the air.

You might have to hold onto it for me for a bit, I don't go into the big city but maybe once a year if that. But I have kids down there that might come up later next month.

Artful
04-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Grumpa we are half way there with your order of two seven pounders - I was beginning to loose hope
- for those unknowing about this powder do a search on this site
- lots of good reports to learn from if it will work for you.

Artful
04-21-2014, 09:50 PM
freebullet you can order directly from him... It's been a few years, but I have ordered in the past without issue from him.

leadman
04-22-2014, 03:07 AM
I would be interested if I did not already have a full jug of WC872 and about #5 of other slow powders. Did you post this on arizonashooting to see if there are any takers there?

freebullet
04-22-2014, 03:26 AM
freebullet you can order directly from him... It's been a few years, but I have ordered in the past without issue from him.

Yep, thanks. I did more research and put a local group buy together already. I'm glad I found this thread. May try to get another going for one of the other powders later too. He said they haven't got the fast powders in a year, but I will keep watching for it. There is quite a bit of info on this powder out there, it appears it will be very useful especially for the price.
Thanks again!

Artful
04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
I would be interested if I did not already have a full jug of WC872 and about #5 of other slow powders. Did you post this on arizonashooting to see if there are any takers there?

Not yet, but I might put it up there - I don't want to horn in on Gary B's action

kens
04-27-2014, 08:32 AM
If someone does get in on this purchase, then how do I get my part of the powder?
Wouldn't I have to pay hazmat to breakup the original shipment?

Artful
04-27-2014, 11:15 AM
If someone does get in on this purchase, then how do I get my part of the powder?
Wouldn't I have to pay hazmat to breakup the original shipment?
Kens, this buy is limited to those local in Arizona.
- so unless you ordered 6 kegs for yourself or a group of GA shooters (which they will pay hazmat on) you would have to pay hazmat. Like freebullet did for his area.

Echo
04-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Art, I appreciate the effort, but I have absolutely NO use for that slow a powder. The baddest rifle I have is my 35 Whelen...

Pinsnscrews
05-04-2014, 02:39 AM
Sorry Artful, I don't see any powders for any of the calibers I shoot at this time.

freebullet
05-04-2014, 03:31 AM
For the price you fellers ought to be able to find an application those slow powders will work for. Tons of data out there for using them in non traditional calibers.

Dang, Artful I can't believe your having this much trouble finding a couple folks to split 6 jugs with. Who would have thought it would be like pulling teeth to split up jugs of slow cheap powder.

Elkins45
05-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Art, I appreciate the effort, but I have absolutely NO use for that slow a powder. The baddest rifle I have is my 35 Whelen...

I would be tempted to find a way to shoot cast with it. The good thing about slow powders in big medium bore cartridges is that it's difficult to stuff enough into the case to get yourself in trouble.

Dhammer
05-04-2014, 04:37 PM
I sent my buddy the link to this. He shoots surplus powder. I won't be out there for another two months so I'm of no use.

freebullet
05-04-2014, 11:52 PM
I would be tempted to find a way to shoot cast with it. The good thing about slow powders in big medium bore cartridges is that it's difficult to stuff enough into the case to get yourself in trouble.

I was thinking the same way. It gives you a speed limit of sorts that maybe quite handy for shooting cast in some calibers. Either way at that price per quantity it will be fun trying it out.

It is amusing to see the "there's no powder" threads with a few cheap slow powders available in bulk, that may work out good after some careful experimenting.

Pinsnscrews
05-05-2014, 04:26 AM
For the price you fellers ought to be able to find an application those slow powders will work for. Tons of data out there for using them in non traditional loads

In my case, since I am currently unemployed, I have to ask SWMBO to pay for it. Since she knows I already have powder for all of my current loads, convincing her that I need another powder is not happening. I had to convince her real hard to pay for the Longshot I got the other week simply because it is a powder for a cartridge I don't currently have dies for, yet it is the firearm that actually gets shot the most. Since I only have 2 magazines of ammo left (not counting the two boxes cleverly hidden in the bottom of my range boxes in 7.62 Winchester White Box for my .308 <innocent whistle>).

jonp
05-11-2014, 04:55 PM

I just got 6 jugs of WC870 from Jeff. A new 35 Whelen is my first stop with this powder. Jeff is great to deal with and I highly recommend him without reservation.

I was going to try a jug of 7383 but I've read on several boards that it tends to be spikey in pressure. I talked it over with Jeff and he said the other powders are close enough in burn rate id probably not know the difference between them and use AA8700 data for all of them so I got the cheapest.

With shipping and the hazmat waived for ordering 6 jugs it was about $270/48lbs or less than $5.75/lb. Can't beat that

Artful
05-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Notice - the hazmat fee has just gone up from our source HAZ MAT fee ($28.50)

Artful
06-09-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm going to close this on the 15th of June to be able to take Grumpa's powder up to him on the 12th of July shoot. - LAST CALL

Artful
06-10-2014, 01:29 AM
OK, we have reached 6 jugs - so I'm just going to close it now as I see the chance of getting to another 6 jugs to be like me winning the lottery. - Thanks to all who are participating and looked - I'll be in touch once the powder arrives.

freebullet
06-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Gee whiz, I feel for you having taken that long to get your buy done. I made a couple calls and placed the order the same day.

I think you'll like the powder, I was able to get it to function w/cast in an ar. Going to try it in several other calibers with cast too.

What are you intending to use it in?

Artful
06-12-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm going to start with 358 wcf loadings.

CplOswald74
06-15-2014, 02:06 PM
I could use a use 3 jugs of 7383 . Sounds like i could use it in my 505.

Artful
06-21-2014, 02:06 PM
CplOswald74 - I turned in my order already - but if any others want to do a group buy with you can they contact you directly? (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?33765-CplOswald74)