PDA

View Full Version : Lubes BP / Smokeless

beng
04-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Can you fire a good Black Powder lube with smokeless powder? I know you can, only what will it do to the lube? Is it to soft, and a harder lube should be used? "I have been using 65gr of Goex ff2 in my rounds and will be shooting in a match (smokeless powder only) I do not like it, but it's the "law" I have a Remington Rooling Block, 45-70, 34" heavy barrel, 1-18 twist. Will be using Brooks 535 boolits. The lube is a Paul Mathew's batch......bees wax: Neatsfoot oil and Murphy's Soap. Was told by a friend at the range that it should be OK, but put more bees wax in it. Thanks

oldred
04-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Not sure what's in SPG bullet lube but I use it with both BP and smokeless and it works really good with both.

bigted
04-06-2014, 01:44 PM
was going to suggest the SPG as well. I use it to nice effect with both powders as well.

montana_charlie
04-06-2014, 02:14 PM
I have been using 65gr of Goex ff2 in my rounds and will be shooting in a match (smokeless powder only) I do not like it, but it's the "law"

The lube is a Paul Mathew's batch......bees wax: Neatsfoot oil and Murphy's Soap. Was told by a friend at the range that it should be OK, but put more bees wax in it.
The lube should work okay, but it won't be 'managing the powder fouling' because there won't be any.
Therefore, it's job will be to protect against leading, and that MIGHT be a tall order.

Have you been firing that Brooks bullet with smokeless powder?
It won't bump-up the same with smokeless that is does with black, so if it's even a bit undersized it may cause leading when pushed with smokeless.

Your lube may - or may not - be able to prevent that.

Since you are just now asking about the lube performance, I suspect you haven't been shooting any smokeless, yet.

CM

Bullshop
04-06-2014, 02:56 PM
NASA lube from The Bullshop has helped remove leading that was left from using SPG. It has done it for more than one customer. It is a black powder lube that does work to prevent leading with black powder or smokeless powder loads. It works!

JSnover
04-06-2014, 03:16 PM
I have fired Emmerts with black and smokeless in my 45-70 roller, no problems at all.

Nobade
04-06-2014, 03:57 PM
NASA lube from The Bullshop has helped remove leading that was left from using SPG. It has done it for more than one customer. It is a black powder lube that does work to prevent leading with black powder or smokeless powder loads. It works!

Funny, that happened to me a couple of weekends ago. I wanted to test some black powder loads in my Marlin 1894 32-20 rifle. It was last shot with smokeless, so I wanted to clean it first. Well, it was leaded up pretty bad and I didn't have a tight enough brush to get all the lead out. So I went ahead and started shooting the BP loads, which were lubed with NASA lube. They shot awful at first, and I thought the load was a waste of time. Then all of a sudden they started to group! By the time I had run 80 rounds through it, they were stacking on top of each other at 100M. After I got home I cleaned the bore, and sure enough all the lead was gone. I guess it finally all came out when the accuracy started to happen. Good stuff you have there.

-Nobade

Bullshop
04-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Thank you for your + input Mr. Nobade. I have been preaching it but for most folks that don't see it for themselves they just wont believe it. Too bad because as I said you are not alone in your findings.

M-Tecs
04-06-2014, 11:21 PM
KW

Do you have a link to contact info for Dan T's White Lighting? Thanks

Don McDowell
04-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Have a 40-65 that would lead like crazy when shooting greasers... Then I got some NASA , stopped that nonsense right now. Tried some of the NASA in my 405 with the lyman bullet that could sometimes leave some silver trace in the bore.... Don't have that problem anymore.. 45 colt and 38-40 love the stuff with smokeless, and the wife's 45-70 shooting blackhorn and bullets lubed with NASA does quite well.
Something just aren't worth messing with , and bullet lube is one. Buying a tested and proven lube pays dividends.

Dan Cash
04-07-2014, 12:35 PM
my home made BP lube does my BP bullets and smokeless greasers to 22oo fps. Would not change a thing.

Bullshop
04-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the plugs fellas!
Kenny, no offence friend but I gotta tell you that you were the toughest one to convince, so far.
You guys remember back a few years when we had a lube thread with some real momentum going? Kenny did some testing as well as some others then we ran out of hot dry weather. We had the fella from down under that was going to continue testing through our winter since it was supposed to be hot and dry for his summer. Well that never happened because Australia almost got rained off the map that year.
Well now that I am in a place that has hot dry summers I plan to continue where that whole deal left off. I have the lube ingrediance I want to try and a case of BP something that was hard to come by in Alaska.
If I have any degree of success since I don't go to any other chat sites I will be bringing it back up here at CB.
Only one little problem is with the boolit casting picking up some steam again and gardening and fire wood gathering I may have to drop some frivolous time consuming frills like rest and sleep.