PDA

View Full Version : D&T Browning/Miroku Low Wall receiver

NSB
04-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Yep, I know it's blasphemy but I have no choice. I just got a "new to me" Browning Low Wall in absolutely mint condition. It's a 357mag reamed to 357max. I've been wanting one of these for years and finally got one. I was always under the impression that all low walls were drilled and tapped for scope mounts. In fact, the booklet that came with the gun says they are all drilled and tapped. Guess the book is wrong, this one isn't. I'd leave it alone but the problem is my eyes just can't see iron sights anymore. Not under any conditions. Old age just caught up to me. I've got to scope it if I want to use it. I'd like to know if anyone on here has a low wall with an octagon barrel that is drilled and tapped. My new gun has half octagon and half round. I want to mount Leupold bases on the gun and need to know if anyone has one already drilled and tapped from the factory, what the diameter of the barrel is 4" in front of the receiver. That would tell me if the mount they are using would fit on my gun. My barrel is .822" at that point. If the full octagon and the half octagon are the same dimension at that point (that's where the base would go) I think I can D&T it and use the same bases they use on the regular low walls (mine's the Traditional Hunter model). I'd appreciate any help or guidance here.

pietro
04-06-2014, 10:13 AM

FWIW, "diameter" is for measuring round objects - Which the rear half of your rifle's barrel (where the scope mount would go) is most definitely not.

Since Leupold, Burris & and several other companies make "turn-in scope ring bases, I would suggest you contact some of them about the availability of a base that will fit an octagon barrel - usually their respective muzzleloader version.

HOWEVER, since AFAIK your Browning has a tapered octagon section, I would further suggest you measure the thickness "across-the-flats" at both "best" locations that the front/rear of a one-piece base, or where the front and rear separate bases will sit atop the octagonal section of the barrel.

The respective maker's technical assistance folks (@ Leupold, Burris, etc) should be able to fit your needs.

NSB
04-06-2014, 10:18 AM
pietro, thanks for your response but it's not getting me to where I want to go. I know what "diameter" means, I retired as an engineer. I was trying to put the question in an intuitive form that anyone could understand, although I realize that the vast majority of users on here know what diameter means. I'm also aware of the fact that I can call the manufacturers and ask questions. What I was trying to do is get some feedback from someone who actually has one of these guns, or who is familiar with them and the problem I have, to see if they can provide some useful information. I'm still waiting for that information. Thanks for taking the time to post.

pietro
04-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Good luck, then..........

Bjornb
04-07-2014, 07:54 AM
PM Goodsteel, he has my 1991 High Wall octagon arriving at his shop today or tomorrow. It's factory drilled and tapped, and from your picture I can see no difference in the receiver ring and barrel. Give him your measurements and the two of you can compare if it's the same rifle externally.

NSB
04-07-2014, 09:17 AM
PM Goodsteel, he has my 1991 High Wall octagon arriving at his shop today or tomorrow. It's factory drilled and tapped, and from your picture I can see no difference in the receiver ring and barrel. Give him your measurements and the two of you can compare if it's the same rifle externally.
Bjornb, my gun is a Low Wall, not a High Wall. I have a High Wall as well as this Low Wall and the two guns have different size receivers and the barrel flats and dimensions are significantly different. Thanks for trying though, but the info off your High Wall won't help. I already measured mine and found out the same base won't work on both guns.

Bjornb
04-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Yeah I'm not surprised they are different. But sometimes you just get lucky.....

Nrut
04-07-2014, 01:00 PM
NBS,
I have examples of Browning Low Walls chambered for both pistol cartridges and rifle cartridges..
We are in luck, though by just looking at both rifles I thought "no way"..
I say we, as I to would like to scope my .357 LW..

Rough measurement 4" in front of the receiver is .823"..

I took the Leopold front base off my .260 LW with intention of placing it on my .357 LW and found that 4" in front of the receiver on that rifle = under the rear site elevator..
Not wanting to remove the rear site on the .357 I left well enough alone..

BTW the muzzle end of the front scope base is about 3 15/16" ahead of the receiver..
The two base holes are about 2 11/16" behind the front of the base..
Using a regular carpenters tape..
The rear base (receiver) is an extended base..

When you order your bases and rings please forward the parts # and vendor to me via PM as I will ship my .357 LW to my gunsmith next winter..
Might have him rechamber to a .357 Max also with a longer rifle style throat if we can find a reamer so cut..

Jon K
04-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Set it up for proper eye relief, for your scope.
Don't worry about someone else's.
The taper of the barrel is not enough to worry about also, your scope should have enough adjustment to fit your needs.

Good Luck,
Jon

Tazman1602
04-17-2014, 04:00 PM
NSB --

Don't know if this will help you or not but it may give some insight as to what can be done. I have a Winny 1895 .405 and a Winny 1886 45-70 Miroku repops that are BEAUTIFUL rifles..............................BUT........... ..........I have the same issue as you --- can't use buckhorn irons anymore but I *can* use ghost ring type sights.

I am seriously thinking about sending both to these guys to have their sights put on my rifles:

http://www.providencetoolcompanyllc.com/products.html

I *think* I can live with this setup without putting a scope on them. No offense intended dude.

Art