PDA

View Full Version : Tinking out loud about lead bullet acuracy

Smoke4320
04-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Ok so I read here several days ago someone stating their HP bullets were more accurate than their FN ones.. Well with my limited experience I can say the same thing .. my HPs (especially in rifle bullets) always seem to group just a little better.. thought was the weight is more rearward..

so got me to thinking... I powdercoat all my bullets now so if I had HP molds with NO lube grooves would this increase accuracy even more.. especially in rifle bullets ..this would move the CG even more rearward.
Would we not be really duplicating a Jacketed bullet in every way except the jacket itself ?

has this been tried before with Pc'ed bullets
I am in the group buy now for the Mil hec 9MM no grooves but its not a HP.. so already going to test one step in this direction

Thoughts?

45 2.1
04-06-2014, 11:17 AM
The test you need to do first is one that involves whether or not a standard cast, sized, lubed boolit shoots better or worse than the same one powder coated................... and to what degree in the velocity ranges possible with the boolit. Anything else is conjecture until that is known.

Smoke4320
04-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Why ?
I have no desire to shoot lubed bullets .. that's a personal choice based on convenience..
I have quite a few rifle caliber powdercoated bullets that give very good accuracy now..
Guess My question should have stated if you took those known designs and eliminated the grooves ( moving the CG rearward) in theory should they shoot even better.. I feel certain they would drop extremely easy from the mold

popper
04-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Smoke - I read Paco Kelly's accurizer article, it does appear at some velocities the the cupped nose of the HP does make it a little better. Removing the lube grooves moves the weight forward for better stability (CG > CF). Spitzers are accurate & not HP. Haven't finished my testing of 165 30 cal LG/no LG yet, but promising. Yes I can push it faster w/o GC. HP may also help with nose slump in HV, less nose steering? Don't know the answer yet. Yes, mine are PCd.

Smoke4320
04-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Popper
I have a 6.5 x 55 Pc'ed bullets going almost 1900 FPS (1879 to 1890 FPS) and very accurate .. 4 recorded groups of less than 3/4" at 50 yds no groups were worse than that so I did not cherry pick..
4 recorded 308 150's going 1900 FPS and 5/8" at 50 yds
and several 458 socoms in the 1" range at 1600 FPS..
my goal is 85% of mid range jacketed velocity while still getting 3/4" 100 yd groups
so that would mean the 6.5 x 55 would need to get to approx 2050 FPS and still retain +/- 3/4" 100 yd group.. If I can get there I would be totally happy..
so I am just looking for ways to get there and asking for ideas ..

Just for kicks yesterday I loaded some 308 150's 98/2 allow with 42 grains of WC846 got a stunner velocity of 2479 FPS and a wonderful 2.5 FT Group :) :)

Thanks

MtGun44
04-07-2014, 06:22 PM
My wife tells me to stop if I tink out loud. The sound bothers her.

:kidding:

Bill

geargnasher
04-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Why ?

It's called establishing a baseline known upon which to build meaningful test sequences. When you introduce multiple variables at once, isolating and attributing any observed effect accurately is impossible. If you have to ask "why", you're missing the whole point. If you aren't willing to do the test 45 2.1 suggested, you will never know the true answer to your question.

Gear

Smoke4320
04-09-2014, 01:12 PM
"If you aren't willing to do the test 45 2.1 suggested, you will never know the true answer to your question."
actually I respectfully disagree ..

have no desire to shoot how many different lubes/combos to find out something I did not need to know to begin with.
I have no desire to shoot lubed bullets so it has no relationship to my situation..
There may be somewhere out there a combo of lube and alloy that will shoot better than my Pc'ed bullets but I will not find it and don't care too.. in no way knocking those who do .. its just a choice I have made to shoot Pc only
Also only changing one variable ..eliminating the lube grooves.. already shooting Pc'ed and HP so just the lube grooves removed..
either case I am going to mod a mold and try it out ..
Thanks

Smoke4320
04-09-2014, 01:18 PM
MT44
funny... I did catch that AFTER I posted but could not change it
sounds like you have the same sense of humor I do.. Just seem to look at others posts and see the way the English language can be twisted to have really funny meanings ..

like the guy today who posted the PA game commission had a draft bear management plan ...
I wanted to know how they got the bears thru that little hose ??