PDA

View Full Version : Re-claimed skeet/trap range shot

bigjake
04-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Awhile back I posted about getting 4 muffin ingots out of a five gallon bucket of dirt mixed with 71/2 shot from an old turkey shoot range.
Well that was kids play. My son found an old skeet range from back in the day. We are getting around 50 lbs. give or take of shot per 5 gal. bucket of the dirt he digs.
Does someone know what type shot skeet or trap shooters usually use, chilled or magnum? it seems to be all one size, maybe #71/2 or#8. Its oxidized, some not too bad, some white w/ oxidation.
We clean all the rocks and sand out really well. We also smelted some and it wasn't too bad.

kenyerian
04-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Used to reload with Magnum Lead Shot that had around 4-6% antimony in it when i was competing. That what they sold at the trap range and the local gun store.

Reg
04-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Years ago it was very common for the bigger trap and skeet clubs to mine the fired shot , clean it and sell it. Don't know how they managed it all but I did shoot a bit of it as it was about half price of new.
Most of it I think would have been about 7 1/2 and just normal chilled shot but there was the possibility that just about anything and everything was shot at times so the odd size would have turned up. In a commercial operation it would have been easy to size grade it.
Also as I recall, some of the clubs would also recover the fired wads, wash and inspect them and sell them in large bags. There again at a great saving. Shot quite a few of those wads as well. Guess we were green and didn't even know it. Thought we were just tight.
Also don't forget that some of the really dedicated would reload their shotshell primers!!!!
With the price of shot nowdays it might be a heck of a idea to try to mine some of those older ranges. The shot could be cleaned by tumbling.
Doubt if you would ever get rich but it might be fun to try !!

Bullshop
04-06-2014, 11:19 AM
I could use some if your going to start selling or trading.

Larry Gibson
04-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Just mix it with 2 - 3 % tin and you'll find it to be an excellent alloy for most any cast bullet.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
04-06-2014, 03:00 PM
many of them use whatever they can get.
I alway's used magnum shot with 5-6% antimony.
some of the cheaper brands of shells used softer lead.
I have seen everything from promo brand cheapest whatever whomever had shells, through high dollar high speed shells used on the trap range.

Mod42
04-06-2014, 03:34 PM
really depends on what type of a club it was. If trap was shot seriously, nearly all of the lead will be magnum. If it was a good old boys club where the shooting was just for fun there will be a higher percentage of soft shot.

dbosman
04-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Smelt in as large a batch as you can, then find a scrap yard that has an XRF gun. Pay them to scan some samples for you.
Or, simply do as Larry Gibson said and just add tin and won't worry about it.