PDA

View Full Version : Molds at Gunshow Today !!

GP100man
04-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Was walkin around & found a Cramer 10 cavity 158gr rn mold , the sprue plate slid towards the handle hinge to cut the sprues then tilted straight up to open the mold.

UBBER KOOL !!! SUPER HEAVY !! weighed close to 20# I figured 200 bucks!

The second was a Hensily & Gibbs 4 cavity 148gr wadcutter on nut cracker style handles, still as heavy any Lyman 4 cavity 100 for this 1 .

I`d loved to have em 20 yrs. ago !!

Anyways there at the Fayetteville NC.Gunshow, there was alot of lookers (me included) but the sheer thought of handling those molds for a 20# pot of lead made my hands & wrists hurt.

& what`s the big deal about takin pictures at a gunshow now ????

GP

Gtek
04-05-2014, 10:54 PM
I guess I am getting officially old, Gun shows ain't what they used to be. Suspenders, an unlighted pipe, a piece of cigar, the smell of MRT on the pouches in the box, wooden boxes full of screws and springs, boxes of buttplates, M1, 14, 03 parts in bins, row of barrels on table. I cannot remember the last time I saw a mold on a table. Now I guess we should really be doing selfies eating our jerky while looking at the jewelry.

enfieldphile
04-06-2014, 08:45 AM
I know that's right!

2 weeks ago there was a gun show. I thought I had walked into a woman's boutique or a sissified cross dresser place! It was a sea of purses, sweaters, pink "stuff", novelity items, Dvd's, etc! :(

There were a few gun tables though.

Luckily, I found a sweet Winchester 75-T it now has a home in mah safe :)

I recall back in the day, they used to advertise quality shows. The ads said: "All tables must be 90% gun or gun related".

I guess I am getting officially old, Gun shows ain't what they used to be. Suspenders, an unlighted pipe, a piece of cigar, the smell of MRT on the pouches in the box, wooden boxes full of screws and springs, boxes of buttplates, M1, 14, 03 parts in bins, row of barrels on table. I cannot remember the last time I saw a mold on a table. Now I guess we should really be doing selfies eating our jerky while looking at the jewelry.

Teddy (punchie)
04-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Some shows in PA and Ohio the items have to be Gun, Outdoor (camping), Hunting, Military and some don't allow food tables.

Old days of smoke from old gens setting at the table are all gone. Funny the differences in 30 years. More new and commercial sellers and fewer small guys.

Need to go to small shows, a few tables but some very nice people and can parter with these people.

Ben
04-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Indian beads and saddle blankets now.

Wow, I'd love to go back and walk through some of those 1968 gun shows one more time.

Ben

HollandNut
04-06-2014, 09:56 AM
they have been a joke here for years

Echd
04-06-2014, 10:37 AM
I really only ever go to the twice a year greensboro gun show and it normally isn't bad. I generally find some stuff I want, find some stuff to hock for a profit, and see some cool things I couldn't see elsewhere.

Yeah, it's packed full of the sort of people I wouldn't trust with a cap gun, but I don't really see any reason to gripe about it in general.

GP100man
04-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Well fellers there was some of the stuff ya speak of , but for the Crown Colesium it was FULL & had more gun related merchendise than I`ve seen there in along time .

More powder/primer than I`d ever seen & a vendor with a full line of Lee reloading products as well 1 with an impressive line up of Dillon.

Georgia Arms was there in full bloom.
I ordered a metal reinforced gunbelt from MTR Leather works.
Alot of AR style rifles& acc.
Alot of deer rifles & tacticool bolt rifles.

I`d say the % of gun related stuff was a strong 70% !

jaysouth
04-06-2014, 10:44 AM
At smaller local shows, I have found the used reloading equipment, spare parts, etc, that used to be the hallmark of gun shows. Mostly these are old guys who do a show or two a year to keep from getting bored. I have also seen some pretty good deals on hunting rifles.

Two years ago, I found a Clark Custom 1911 on a table. It was an earlier edition with the triangular stipling on the front strap. Guy was adamant that it was worth $700 because is was a 'genuine colt'. No, he had never heard of Jim Clark.

Go to local shows within a hundred or two miles. Smile and be nice to people with no teeth and worn out bib overalls, you might find a treasure.

For you folks in Virginia and N. Carolina, are the C&E shows still good to go to? When I lived in VA, I attended any C&E show put on between Fayetteville NC and Dulles Airport.

smkummer
04-06-2014, 10:54 AM
All things change, the 24/7 gun show 365 days a year is the internet. 80% of my last purchases have been on the net.

TXGunNut
04-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Did you ask the price on those old classic moulds?
I used to go to gunshows, most hard-to-find items could be found there then. I quit going when the early tacticool, neo-nazi and gangbanger types began to irritate me. Sounds like there are still good shows here and there. I won't go to the big D/FW show because they want me to leave my social equipment in the car. Pure silliness.

GP100man
04-06-2014, 08:26 PM
TGN

He went to 275 for both !!

They were in good shape to ,used ,yes but taken care of !
Just wish my wrists & hands could handle the weight !!

GP

Blammer
04-06-2014, 09:44 PM
show sponsors around here (those who you pay for the table) make sure you have guns and stuff appropriate, not jewelry, beads, food etc....

some have lied and they made them pack up with in the hour, and leave.

so yea all guns an stuff here.

Changeling
04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
That's the way it should be Blammer, unfortunately it's not!!

Silverboolit
04-07-2014, 05:15 PM
The last gun show that I attended was Overpriced. Crowded. About 50% firearms/gun stuff. Not much to choose from. The same old vendors. Same stuff for sale that they had at the previous show. Vendors seemed unhappy and grouchy. I am not going back.

CastingFool
04-07-2014, 05:34 PM
I went to a gun show last Saturday, basically looking for molds and reloading stuff, and did find 2 Lee molds, both single cavity and RB. $10 each. Passed. Seems like a lot of vendors had a lot of ammo, both new and NOS. The guys with NOS had prices that came very close to today's retail prices.

Lance Boyle
04-07-2014, 09:37 PM
I've only been casting for a few years and took a fairly long hiatus from the gunshows. Well 2 or 3 years ago I got a never seen lead RCBS Promelt furnace for a couple hundred, that went home with me. So excited I didn't look at the pair of star lubers next to it. I went back later and they were sold. the next show I picked up a 358091 wc mold for $30. Their was a GC type keith mold too but was too rusty for my taste. There are things out there if you look at the bits and pieces on the tables.

ETA- for some reason the used dies get priced $5 over new ones. :-(

bruce381
04-07-2014, 10:01 PM
yeah but getting out of honey do stuff is priceless, so I dilly dally at the shows to get home "too" late to do much.

yman
04-07-2014, 10:09 PM
I think the net has ruined the guns shows. Seems like everyone looks and sees what someone else is asking (note I said asking, not necessarally getting) and they think thats what theirs is worth. Plus the cost of setting up, $50-60-75 a table, wholly cow batman. How can anyone afford to set up and sell items at $5 or $10 profit and make table rent, not counting fuel food time etc. I havent seen anyone at our local gun shows in the last year with powder,primers or reloading equipment to speak of. I see a few primers but no powder. Seen a few old rusty dies, nothing to talk about. Sure do miss the days of spending all day picking thru the tables looking for something I dont have.

GP100man
04-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Yep

I remember when my local gunshop set me up with the bare esentials to reload 44 , my second gunshow ,I came home with cartridge storage , a Midway tumbler kit, more dies , a RCBS partner kit (69 bucks) bullets & al sorts of stuff to speed the reloading process !!

Now I go to scrounge primer/powder & bits & peices of reloading tools , I`m a sucker for vintage tools !!!

It has a better oil vial now & gets used each session !!

$25.00

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/WebsterScales.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/WebsterScales.jpg.html)

Things are definitly different now !!

Garyshome
04-08-2014, 08:05 AM
I've never been to a gun show...Yet!

Green Frog
04-08-2014, 10:25 AM
At smaller local shows, I have found the used reloading equipment, spare parts, etc, that used to be the hallmark of gun shows. Mostly these are old guys who do a show or two a year to keep from getting bored. I have also seen some pretty good deals on hunting rifles.

Two years ago, I found a Clark Custom 1911 on a table. It was an earlier edition with the triangular stipling on the front strap. Guy was adamant that it was worth $700 because is was a 'genuine colt'. No, he had never heard of Jim Clark.

Go to local shows within a hundred or two miles. Smile and be nice to people with no teeth and worn out bib overalls, you might find a treasure.

For you folks in Virginia and N. Carolina, are the C&E shows still good to go to? When I lived in VA, I attended any C&E show put on between Fayetteville NC and Dulles Airport.

C&E and another promoter sort of merged a few years back, and between them they are putting on at least one or two shows pretty much every weekend somewhere between Charlotte, NC North to Dulles, and Norfolk West to Wilmington, OH. The sizes and qualities of the shows vary widely from not worth crossing the street for to pretty decent. I still like to get to Dulles a couple of times a year and Roanoke and/or Salem (which are pretty close) whenever they are held. The larger shows have enough good stuff to make it worth walking past the junk, but the small ones seem to have about as much in the way of jerky and jewelry as the big ones, so the percentage doesn't work out very well! :( OTOH, I've found a couple of good moulds and some dies at some of the smaller shows, so if I don't have anything pressing to do... :roll:

Froggie

dsol
04-15-2014, 08:33 PM
My best mold purchases were at a small gunshow at a local NG Armory last year. Got a 4 cavity H&G #50 and 4 cavity #68 for $75.00. I thought he wanted $75 each and I was going to buy one, then he said that was for both. Almost sprained my wrist reaching for my wallet. They have a light patina and look crisp and sharp nearly new. No handles... what a bummer. :D