PDA

View Full Version : Question on mounting Scope on Winchester 94 66' Centennial

chambers
04-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Have several Winchester 94's, one is a 66' Centennial with 26" heavy octagon barrel with the gold receiver. I was looking at maybe adding a scope, looked and emailed Pearson's TACRAIL for Winchester 94 no-drill Scope/tactical for their input, not sure if this is going to work on this gun. I was not looking to drill and tap for a scope but could be done. My main reason for a scope is I just can seem to see what I am really shooting good enough with open sights and want to increase accuracy. Thought this gun would shoot really well with long heavy barrel. I like to shoot my guns rather than look at. Thoughts and good ideas welcome. I am shooting cast boolits just to clarify.

TXGunNut
04-05-2014, 06:48 PM
For some reason I cannot bring myself to mount a scope on a 94. I've seen a few no-drill mounts and haven't seen one yet that doesn't loosen up, Pearson's may be different. Most days I can't use the issue semi-buckhorn sights so I had a dilemna: as much as I enjoy looking at my Winchesters I also want to shoot them. The solution I found is peep sights. I have one that simply replaces the rear sight with an aperture, I also have a few with receiver-mounted peep sights (Williams or Lyman) and tang sights (Marble or Lyman) and in one case I even added a Lyman front sight.

chambers
04-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Have not tried any peep sights, but could easily try.

Mik
04-05-2014, 07:01 PM
I've tried the Pearson mount and recommend it.

I currently have it mounted on a 1972 m94. Its held zero so far. It feels like it flexes a bit until you put the rings and scope on it, then its pretty solid. As far as I can tell, the iron sight system it includes is useless and even worse than the factory iron sight.

MtGun44
04-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Any scope over the bore is going to interfere with the straight up ejection of all
models prior to "Angle-Eject". Back in the day you had two choices, left side offset
mount or scout scope mount fwd of the receiver. IMO, the scout would be far
better.

Bill

geargnasher
04-06-2014, 03:46 PM
+1 Bill. Better yet, hang it on the wall and buy a Marlin. I got to play with one of those '66 models and boy, do they SHOOT. The innards left a lot to be desired on the one loaned to me, about as smooth as a rusty folding chair, but that too can be fixed. In fact, that's why I had it.

Gear

Larry Gibson
04-06-2014, 04:10 PM
+ another on the scout mount.

Or if you want more scope than that forget the Marlin and stick with AE Winchesters (not the jap made ones) as in the 4th picture.

Larry Gibson

cbrick
04-06-2014, 04:35 PM
I have the Win 94 26 inch octagon barrel 66 also. I needed a scope cause I just couldn't see the sights but didn't think that rifle would look right with a scope, couldn't bring myself to do it. I opted for Marbels Tang peep sights, did require drilling and tapping on the tang and I'll not win any bench rest matches but it was a huge improvement. At least now I can shoot it.

I went with Marbles because they have windage adjustment were the Lyman doesn't, elevation only.

Marble Arms' website (http://www.marblearms.com/)

Rick

MtGun44
04-08-2014, 12:59 AM
If you've never shot a tang, you may be surprised at how well a rifle will
shoot with twice the sight radius and a really nice peep.

Bill

pietro
04-08-2014, 11:14 AM

That rifle would be the cat's ***, if a short Leatherwood/Malcom scope were to be mounted.

http://winchestersutler.com/BCA_Scop_Marlin_94.jpg

http://winchestersutler.com/BCA_Scope.html

There are "drop-in" mounts/rings that utilize the rear bbl sight dovetail for the front & the factory peep sight prep holes in the LH receiver sidewall for the rear.