PDA

View Full Version : trapdoor block markings

reno
04-05-2014, 02:50 PM
hi,I have recently bought an 1873 trapdoor,the serial number puts its build date late in 1875.
This was bought as a shooter,very good bore,and cost me very little for what I got,i feel,after a couple years of casual shopping for one.
Its full length,but the sling swivels have been hacksawed off,the wrist was repaired and stock refinished (sanded hard) a very long time ago.
Buffington sight which I assume is not original.
Its the block that has me stumped,dated 1873 with the eagle and other markings below,the underside (high arch) has 50 stamped in the center of the arch,does anyone know why thats there?
I am positive that barrel and chamber ect. is 45/70

13Echo
04-06-2014, 01:55 PM
1873 is the correct marking on the block..I have no clue what the 50 is for. Buffington sights are a frequent arsenal replacement for the original sight and can be found on Springfields of all years. It is entirely possible you have a "correct " rifle that has been "sporterized" by Bubba many years ago. Should be a good shooter with a decent bore and good loads.

Jerry Liles

reno
04-06-2014, 02:42 PM
I will try posting a picture,it is stamped deep,and clear,its not something I could do in my shop without buggering something up.
Mind you,Im a carpenter.
Im just curious about this,theres so much written on trapdoors but Ive never seen this mark mentioned,and it doesnt look like it was done by Bubba,too me atleast.