PDA

View Full Version : Best marinades for chicken

silverado
04-05-2014, 12:01 AM
I tend to use Italian dressing and various vinagrettes and have been mostly happy but the 5 year old I hard to appease. I did a Korean kalbi and she liked it but too salty for me. Tomato vinagrettes from a store bottle was very good also. What have you guys been using? I generally do kabobs.

Dale in Louisiana
04-05-2014, 04:41 PM
I use Penzy's Spices Tandoori Seasoning (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscurrytand.html?id=5b5K3vZR). Add a bit of salt and you're good to go.

I generally hammer a boneless breast flat, coat it liberally (the only GOOD use of the word 'liberal') with the seasoning, along with a little salt, then pan-fry in butter.

dale in Louisiana

L Ross
04-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Four parts Italian dressing, one part soy sauce.

DougGuy
04-05-2014, 08:59 PM
We don't really marinate chicken, we cook it on the grill and let the smoky charring action of the grill flavor the meat. Maybe a little tangy Carolina BBQ sauce gets cooked on it towards the end of cooking. Maybe we put a little dry rub on it before cooking. We quit using breasts because the dark meat just tasted better and is not as dry as breast meat. Plus it's usually cheaper. To each their own..

silverado
04-05-2014, 09:15 PM
We don't really marinate chicken, we cook it on the grill and let the smoky charring action of the grill flavor the meat. Maybe a little tangy Carolina BBQ sauce gets cooked on it towards the end of cooking. Maybe we put a little dry rub on it before cooking. We quit using breasts because the dark meat just tasted better and is not as dry as breast meat. Plus it's usually cheaper. To each their own..

I grill white meat and smoke dark... I just put whatever seasoning I feel like and smoking with Applewood at 250ish for a few hours. That is the only way u will eat chicken thighs. Usually it's a jerk seasoning. I don't like cooking whole birds, chicken or turkey.

Sweetpea
04-05-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't marinade.

I rub the whole chicken down with evoo, and then coat liberally with Texas Beerbecue rub.

Throw it on the Traeger with mesquite pellets, and it's the best chicken you've ever had.

MaryB
04-05-2014, 11:46 PM
For something different marinate in some ranch dressing, wipe most of it off before cooking or it will burn.

silverado
04-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Hmmm.i never considered ranch before.... either you are onto something or snickering while I ruin some perfectly good chicken.

AZ-JIM
04-06-2014, 12:07 AM
I may be the odd man out, the dressing on chicken...or any other meat for that matter grosses me out!
I use a McCormick seasoning called Smokehouse Maple and maple syrup, sometimes with maplewood for smoke. Its pretty tasty IMHO.

az-jim

silverado
04-06-2014, 12:10 AM
As a side question who here has smoked a whole turkey and likes it better than individual cuts? I have a whole bird but don't know how I want to cook it.

AZ-JIM
04-06-2014, 12:15 AM
As a side question who here has smoked a whole turkey and likes it better than individual cuts? I have a whole bird but don't know how I want to cook it.

I have done them with a light coat of butter, salt and pepper and smoked with hickory. Turkey breast usually isnt my first choice, but when the meat has the pink smoke ring about a 1/2 wide.....its hard to beat

az-jim

silverado
04-06-2014, 12:17 AM
I have done them with a light coat of butter, salt and pepper and smoked with hickory. Turkey breast usually isnt my first choice, but when the meat has the pink smoke ring about a 1/2 wide.....its hard to beat

az-jim

I have done mine with an injection of butter and mild can seasoning but I just can't get a whole bird to cook evenly... it's against the laws of nature!!!!!

Sweetpea
04-06-2014, 12:19 AM

My "go to" for many years, was to put a stick of butter in each end of the turkey, and cook it upside down... Can you say moist!?!

This last Thanksgiving, I roasted a whole turkey on the Traeger, pretty much the same as the whole chicken, just longer to cook.

SWMBO says it is THE BEST WAY...

silverado
04-06-2014, 12:21 AM
My "go to" for many years, was to put a stick of butter in each end of the turkey, and cook it upside down... Can you say moist!?!

This last Thanksgiving, I roasted a whole turkey on the Traeger, pretty much the same as the whole chicken, just longer to cook.

SWMBO says it is THE BEST WAY...

When you say upside down do you mean breast up? Still the breast cooks faster only requiring 165f when thighs need 185 or more....

silverado
04-06-2014, 12:25 AM
I enjoy bullet casting, shooting, and reloading as a hobby. I keep my weber smokey mountain cooker because my niebhors know I love it on my front patio. If someone steals my weber they are DONE!!!!!. When I want to cook something memorable I smoke it or grill it. I am 100% a perfectionist when it comes to bbq

D Crockett
04-06-2014, 12:29 AM
smoking a turkey the night before I put it is a plastic bag pore in about 1.5 gal of orange juice turn it over 3 or 4 time during the night the next morning I start my fire in my smoker take the bird out of the bag and pat dry with paper towels put in a pan on a wire grate to catch the juices to make gravy with rub the bird down with everglades seasoning cover with a aluminum foil tent cook on smoker for about 3 hrs then take the tent off and let the smoke do it's job for about a hour then enjoy D Crockett

Sweetpea
04-06-2014, 12:30 AM
When you say upside down do you mean breast up? Still the breast cooks faster only requiring 165f when thighs need 185 or more....

No, that method was in a roasting pan, breasts down, so the butter soaked into the breasts.

I also usually added a spoonful or two of minced garlic in with the butter...

MaryB
04-06-2014, 02:32 AM
I smoke the ranch marinated wings a couple times a summer, for added kick add franks hot sauce to the marinade.

Cmm_3940
04-06-2014, 06:10 AM
Ok. I've seen this thread pop up about a dozen times now on the new post search. Each time I see it, I initially read the title as 'best marinades for children'. Is that wrong?

Sweetpea
04-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Ok. I've seen this thread pop up about a dozen times now on the new post search. Each time I see it, I initially read the title as 'best marinades for children'. Is that wrong?

Ummmm....

Yes...

Time for a trip to the doctor, either for the eyes, or for the head...

gwpercle
04-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Lemon Marinade for Grilling Chicken

makes 3 cups
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbls. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbls. dry mustard
1/2 tea. salt
1 1/2 tea. Accent
1/2 tea. black pepper
2 tbls. fresh minced garlic (or 1 tbls. dried garlic)
1 tbls. dried onion flakes
1/2 cup lemon juice ( juice of 3 fresh lemons)
1 tbls. brown sugar

1. Combine ingredients.
2. Cover meat with mixture in a container and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before cooking.

Can be used as a marinade or as a basting sauce. Family favorite since 1985, modified from two marinade recipes from the Char-Broil Grill Lovers Cookbook. Also good for grilling beef and pork.
Gary

fatnhappy
04-06-2014, 10:55 AM
cornell. Then baste baste baste.

Changeling
04-06-2014, 01:46 PM
cornell. Then baste baste baste.

I have to agree with you, it's really great.

I'll bet not to many people know what we're talking about!

AZ-JIM
04-06-2014, 02:59 PM
I have done mine with an injection of butter and mild can seasoning but I just can't get a whole bird to cook evenly... it's against the laws of nature!!!!!

Low and slow

az-jim

silverado
04-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Low and slow

az-jim

Low and slow is great but for me I like dark meat around 195f and by then the breast is completely dried.... I have though about spraying the breast with cold apple juice during cooking but it's like peeing upside down.... results my be impressive but not worth the effort for me.

silverado
04-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I would like to let everyone know I'm at home depot right now and 40 pounds of charcoal is 12.88.... spring is in the air

fatnhappy
04-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I have to agree with you, it's really great.

I'll bet not to many people know what we're talking about!

I pity them. There's nothing else even close.

Castaholic
04-06-2014, 03:34 PM
We have been using this recipe for a few years now and it is outstanding!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/chipotle-mango-bbq-chicken-recipe.html

Shiloh
04-06-2014, 06:49 PM
This is what I've been using. I put a generous shaking of rib rub on when I take the chicken out of the fridge. It sets at room temp foe 40-45
minutes before going on grill using indirect heat, or else I smoke the meat.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?227918-Teriyaki-Sauce-and-Marinade

Shiloh

MT Gianni
04-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Rib rub works well. Holly will also fry chicken breasts after seasoning with Johnny's then add lemon juice the last 2-3 minutes about 1/3-1.4 cup. Baste with that and use as a sauce. For beer can Cornish game hens we have used pineapple cans. It makes a good marinade and sauce. I also posted a Shamrma recipe a few months back. Cook boned chicken in tzatstziki sauce of cucumber, lemon juice olive oil and garlic.

coleman
04-07-2014, 02:58 AM
Zatarians Pro boil for shrimp and crayfish. I mix about 1/4 cup of pro boil with water and let the chicken soak for 2-4 days, it depends on how much spice you want. The best part you can buy it in 53 oz bottle last time I got one was about 2 yrs ago and it was around $10 +shipping. It works well on veggies and roast.

http://www.zatarains.com/Zatarains/Products/Spices-and-Seasonings/Seafood-Boils/Pro-Boil

MaryB
04-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Keep the chicken on ice with just the breast in it so it is almost frozen when you start it. Then cook like normal. Do this outside the fridge so the rest comes up to room temp, hour or so

Low and slow is great but for me I like dark meat around 195f and by then the breast is completely dried.... I have though about spraying the breast with cold apple juice during cooking but it's like peeing upside down.... results my be impressive but not worth the effort for me.

jroc
04-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Thumbs up for the Cornell. I'm originally from Upstate NY. Ate a lot of Cornell chicken cooked by the fire department.

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2014, 06:26 AM
I do alot of merinading of red meat but for chicken on the grill its just a good sprinkle of laurys seasoned salt, a little garlic powder and some real charcoal

Changeling
04-13-2014, 02:27 PM
I don't know how I missed this! I'll definitely be giving this a go, especially now that warmer weather is here, I hope. Thank you Shiloh.

This is what I've been using. I put a generous shaking of rib rub on when I take the chicken out of the fridge. It sets at room temp foe 40-45
minutes before going on grill using indirect heat, or else I smoke the meat.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?227918-Teriyaki-Sauce-and-Marinade

Shiloh

LaPoint
04-13-2014, 03:14 PM
I like to brine them overnight then put them on the grill. The brine is equal parts brown sugar and kosher, or sea salt, disloved in as little boiling water as possible. Add ice to cool the brine and increase the volume of liquid to the amount needed to completely cover the carcas in a zip-lock bag. I like cilantro & lime so I add that to the brine also. Refigerate overnight. I cut the back bone out of the bird so I can open it up and lay it flat on the grill. Use a foil wrapped brick to hold it flat. Of course you can use the beer can method on a whole chicken if you don't want to cut the backbone out of it.

Another good marinade is Kikkoman low salt soy sauce and Marjorum. About a tsp of Marjorum should be plenty. This one also good to marinade pork steaks & chops.

woodsxdragon
04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
If i'm grilling it i do one of two things: salt/pepper/cover with butter or a rub with cajun seasoning and ranch dressing powder. i've bee debating doing a rub with curry powder just too see what happens.
if i'm baking/pan frying it i'll let it set with a mix of sauces overnight. Sometimes italian dressing, soy sauce, Worcestershire, honey, basically whatever i'm feeling that day. one time i baked some breasts with a little bit of this and that then let them cool and pulled the meat to make pulled chicken right? then i made more sauce out of the marinade and mixed it in. made some super good sandwiches.

MaryB
04-15-2014, 11:14 PM
For New Years I have done a ranch dressing mix sprinkled on buttered wings(dip in melted) then baked as an appetizer. Usually disappear first before my chef brothers current creation wings(kind of a contest).

Lloyd Smale
04-16-2014, 06:28 AM
never brined chickens. I allways brine my turkeys so i have no excuse. Im going to have to try it next time i do some chicken.
I like to brine them overnight then put them on the grill. The brine is equal parts brown sugar and kosher, or sea salt, disloved in as little boiling water as possible. Add ice to cool the brine and increase the volume of liquid to the amount needed to completely cover the carcas in a zip-lock bag. I like cilantro & lime so I add that to the brine also. Refigerate overnight. I cut the back bone out of the bird so I can open it up and lay it flat on the grill. Use a foil wrapped brick to hold it flat. Of course you can use the beer can method on a whole chicken if you don't want to cut the backbone out of it.

Another good marinade is Kikkoman low salt soy sauce and Marjorum. About a tsp of Marjorum should be plenty. This one also good to marinade pork steaks & chops.