View Full Version : what kind of mold works good???????

hound13
04-04-2014, 08:27 PM
hi guys im a newby on here and casting so bear with me if i ask stupid questions ,will muffin tins work or what else will????... i no you can get the molds from lyman and lee but im trying to find stuff from around the house that will work any pointers or ideas ... thanks hound13

Sgtonory
04-04-2014, 08:29 PM
I use muffin tins they work fine. Look at a thrift shop for them. If you do more than 50lbs or so i would make some out of angle iron.

runfiverun
04-04-2014, 08:31 PM
if you go with them get the plain steel ones from the thrift store.
the tin coated ones will stick the lead in the pan, and Teflon [or other coated] ones will gas out and leave little bubbles on the surface of your ingots.
not a big deal just something to look for.
if you get some steel pans put them outside to rust, the rust is a great mold release agent.

country gent
04-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Muffin tins work great you want cast or steel not alumninum. Also you can make ingot molds from length os 2 1/2X2 1/2 angle iron pretty easy with a welder. A pot can be any steel pan or container heavy enough to take the heat and wieght of the lead. You can do very well with repourposed equipment but dont scrimp on the saftey equipment good heavy boots, Goggles or face shield, leather gloves, and protective clothing.While you may never need its protection if you do its invaluable.

ShooterAZ
04-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Muffin tins work great. As previously mentioned, try to find some that aren't coated. Most are though...not a big deal. The coating will burn off within a 2-3 times filled. When I first started casting I bought some Frankfort Arsenal mold release spray(because I didn't know any better). I don't use it on any of my boolit molds, but I do lightly spray my muffin tins with it. I think it does help at least a little:).

hound13
04-04-2014, 10:24 PM
thanks for the info hound13