PDA

View Full Version : Not complaining but...

arjacobson
04-04-2014, 05:32 PM
This week we had 6 water main breaks.. We cut into a 6" main and it was frozen solid... Ended up splitting 62 feet of main. All the other breaks have been splits and not shear breaks.... AND I got to plow snow AGAIN....today. I believe since December there have been only 2 or 3 weekends that we didn't work either Saturday or Sunday.. On a positive I banked 100 hours of comp time in 3 weeks!! I'm tired out.....carry on

dragon813gt
04-04-2014, 05:44 PM
You could be me. I was supposed to work an over night last night, cancelled. And they cut me free at 11am yesterday, so I was rested up, and I lost four hours of pay. We were supposed to open up a boiler for inspection tomorrow. That was cancelled as well. I lost out on a lot of overtime this week :(

shooter93
04-04-2014, 05:59 PM
People tell me I work foolish hours when I have the work. The way things have been going the last few years I'd be happy to be working them again.

Beerd
04-04-2014, 06:27 PM
.. We cut into a 6" main and it was frozen solid...

It's April for goodness sakes.
How deep is it buried?

tomme boy
04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Was any of that pipe lead? I need some. Seems that there was quite a few that broke here this year. Always was in the older sections of town.

fatnhappy
04-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Was any of that pipe lead? I need some. Seems that there was quite a few that broke here this year. Always was in the older sections of town.

silly question. If it had been lead the footage of "frozen" pipe would have been at least triple digits.:kidding:

runfiverun
04-04-2014, 08:14 PM
yep I could see the ooopsies that tie in didn't take, oooops that one either.
we better start down on the corner and remove it all, and go at least for another 40'-60' that way too, just to make sure.

fatnhappy
04-04-2014, 08:21 PM
we better start down on the corner and remove it all, and go at least for another 40'-60' that way too, just to make sure.

I like how you think.

smokeywolf
04-04-2014, 08:31 PM
I'd be happy to trade your employment for my lack of employment. Another year before I can file for my pension. With the competition in the labor market, seems I'm either too old, over qualified, under qualified, too far to drive there, but too expensive to live there.

Meantime, I have to cash in some investments to support my bad habits; eating, paying bills, driving a car, stupid stuff like that. I haven't even been to the range in 6 months. No, I'm not selling any guns, lead, powder or primers. Or my saddles or spurs.

smokeywolf

MaryB
04-05-2014, 01:33 AM
No unemployment Smokey? Let them pay to retirement age. I have been keeping a faucet trickling, city is charging minimum use on water bills until spring to keep lines from freezing. They already had to repair the main line into town 4 times.

smokeywolf
04-05-2014, 02:20 AM
Did some figuring and drew the unemployment that I figured I had payed for. The State or Fed Gov't are the last entities I want to be beholding to. Also, if I accept someone else's money, how can I justifiably complain about other people taking mine.
Planning to make our escape from California shortly after my pension kicks in.

smokeywolf

41 mag fan
04-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Could be like me....Got an announcement from work Thursday they were picking up production from another Peabody coal mine to help them out, and the Peabody USA president after visiting our mine 2 weeks ago decided that the prep plant needs to wash coal on Sundays too. They run out that day from our mine...God forbid they run out.
So they in a nice roundabout way told us they upped the daily tonnage budget...which we can't meet, which means the one Saturday a month we are supposed to work just became one Saturday off a month now.
Good money...brutal hours.
I should of been born rich!!

arjacobson
04-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Was any of that pipe lead? I need some. Seems that there was quite a few that broke here this year. Always was in the older sections of town. Tomme- If you need soft lead I can get all I want in the water main lead joints.. How much are you looking for?

arjacobson
04-05-2014, 06:19 PM
we better start down on the corner and remove it all, and go at least for another 40'-60' that way too, just to make sure. LOL- We come across a good supply of soft lead through the main joints if they are on a cast iron main. We did a 16" leaded in tee one time and lead around the fitting was so heavy that two guys could NOT lift it up out of the hole. We ended up cutting the lead with a chipping hammer to get it off the pipe....

tomme boy
04-05-2014, 07:56 PM
50 lbs or so. Shoot me a price.