PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing or tightening single stage press

Naphtali
04-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Please identify those who refurbish and tighten ram of single stage presses - that is, reduce the wobble or play between ram and its raceway in the basis casting.

Dan Cash
04-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Any good machine shop should be able to do the job. Though I have not had it done, I think line boring woould be the way to go.

starmac
04-04-2014, 04:48 PM
At machine shop rates, it would have to be a pretty worthwhile press to drop one off, at least in this area.

w5pv
04-04-2014, 05:20 PM
You may slip some thin shim stock aroud the shaft and take some of the slop out.If you can get it in clean it and use some type of eposy to hold it in place.

seagiant
04-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Please identify those who refurbish and tighten ram of single stage presses - that is, reduce the wobble or play between ram and its raceway in the basis casting.

Hi,
Huh? Never saw the need??? I've been reloading for 30+ years and have had my share of old presses and have never seen a loose or worn out ram in a press!

country gent
04-04-2014, 09:17 PM
A little "play" is a good thing allowing ram to center up tight on center is better yet but not really neccesary. Tight and off center is a major issue. My one old Rock Chucker came out of a wet basement and was rusted up tight. I cleaned it up made a polishing rod and polished the ram hole free of rust same with ram and reassembled it works great to this day. Being a tool and die maker I was going to set it up in a boring mill and bore and sleeve the ram if neccesary but never seen a need to do so.
An easy way if neccessary to reduce play would be to disassemble the ram / press, rebiuild the pins and bushings as needed get everything right and true. Drill 2 holes to match a vetranary syringes tip snug coat ram with a good release agent 2 coats mininum if there is a slot or holes fill them with clay. Assembe ram and mount press out of the way. install a die and run case into it leaving the ram raised ( this provides alighnment at top of stroke). Miv a good steel bed type epocky and fill the syringe with mixed epoxy. Now inject epoxy into holes drilled to ram hole filling with the same "ccs" of epocxy side to side. Cover fill hole with a piece ot tape to keep epoxy from running. Top and bottom both. Let cure and you will have a very snug fit, alighnment to your macine, and with a little grease a long term repair. I have seen repairs with Plastic steel and other indutrial style epoxies ron for months in manufacturing enviroments when time wasnt available to rebore and sleeve the worn parts.

Skunk1
04-05-2014, 10:04 AM
I've had my share of old presses. The chucker on my bench has been there for a long time but the others have come and gone. Never had to shim any of them and all but the rs2 I have now were 30+ yrs old. The rs2's ram was put in poor storage conditions but a little wd40 and fine steel wool and it slides up and down smoothly. Looks like **** but would be a good press for any beginner. A well oiled machine should last for decades.

Pressman
04-05-2014, 01:12 PM
I have never seen the need to attempt to remove any of the slight movement in the ram. What about the shellholder? Is it tight? Does it line up exactly center? What about case fit in the shellholder? There are a lot of variances depending upon shellholder brand and case headstamp. Which combination is the most perfectly centered? How about the die? Does the decapping stem fit exactly in the center of the size die? Most are off side. This effects case mouth expanding.

All these actors need to be considered before getting all wrapped around the axle of tightening the ram.

Just my not so humble opinion. With nearly 200 presses I have no problem grabbing any of them and reloading quality ammunition that will shoot better than I can hold.

Ken

zuke
04-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Foe the cost of fixing, post a WTB ad and get another.