PDA

View Full Version : Loading DumDum boolits for self defense

DonMountain
04-04-2014, 11:29 AM
I have been bitten by the rush to self defense shooting, and bought a handgun in 45 ACP, which seems to be the most popular sidearm for this purpose. The news around here where I live are filled with shootings and drug dealings every day. And I can hear gunshots it seems like day and night (especially Saturday nights). I am planning to load cast lead boolits of about 230 grains, and make what my grandfather called DumDum boolits that they used in World War II in their Thompson's and 1911's. So, my questions is, how do I go about making these DumDum boolits? My grandfather suggested that they took a hack saw and cut two slots in the tip of the boolit at 90 degree angles down maybe 1/4". How do you-all hold the boolits while you are cutting them and how far down do you cut them? Do you use a power hack saw or a hand hack saw?

454PB
04-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.....a hollowpoint would be more effective and easier to accomplish.

R.M.
04-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Yup, factory hollow-points work well, and a lot less work.

DougGuy
04-04-2014, 11:59 AM
They only made dum dums because hollowpoints were against the Geneva Convention rules. They used them in 'Nam as well, for the same reason.

Hornady 230gr +P hollowpoints are what I carry. Accurate, feed flawlessly, and they will get the job done.

375RUGER
04-04-2014, 12:00 PM
.45 hardball makes big hole anyway. 8 big holes with a full mag. I cast HPs myself.
Get one of those little hobby size hacksaws, they cut lead well. I'd drill a hole, 29/64", in a piece of aluminum flat bar. Near the end of the bar. Then split the bar with hack saw. When you drop the boolit into the hole you can pinch the end of the bar with vise or vise grips and it will clamp the boolit. You can gauge the depth you want to cut by choosing the thickness of bar or drop 1/2 flat washer(s) over the boolit and cut till the blade reaches them.
Take Grandpa's advise and cut no more than 1/4".
Deburr the cuts so you don't get any misfeeds.
Cut a couple and shoot them into a stack of 8 water jugs and post a pic of what happens, recovered boolits. Then you'll know if it's worth the time.

Walter Laich
04-04-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm in the 'cast hollow points' group. Much easier but nothing wrong with giving it a try--knowledge is power

Scharfschuetze
04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
I think that any of the major brand hollow points, either factory loads or projectiles for hand loading, will accomplish what you want to do much better than personally modifying yours. For self defense, the added expense and the factory research into the product is well worth the investment.

Good choice on your self defense handgun's calibre. In the end though, bullet placement will be most important and the reliability of your handgun will be paramount.

By the way, the term "Dum Dum" came from the Indian arsenal located in Dum Dum, West Bengal, India where they, as I recall, made soft point bullets for the Mk IV 303 British round. Purportedly, that was the first soft point round made for a military and probably was the reason for the Geneva Convention treaties against bullets designed to expand.

Bullshop Junior
04-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Last time I checked, the 40 smith was the most popular.

Anyway. Waste of time cutting slots. There are way too many bullets and boolits and moulds out there that in all honesty will probably work better anyway.

mdi
04-04-2014, 12:42 PM
If you want to shoot cast bullets, I'd say go with a lighter (200 gr.) bullet, hollow point, cast of soft alloy and run it as fast as you feel safe. Or, a much better idea is any of the modern self defence bullets specifically designed for the purpose. Check the manufacturer's web sites...

Dum Dum; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expanding_bullet

dverna
04-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Nothing wrong with experimenting to have fun. Nothing right about experimenting to defend you life.

If you go the hacksaw route, shoot at least a dozen into wet paper or milk jugs to see how they perform before staking you life on them. I carry factory ammo - or ammo loaded with factory bullets. I know factory bullets work. For the 100 bullets you need, is it really worth the effort to jury-rig up a "solution" that may not work (either feed or expand reliably)?

If I wanted to make SD bullets, I would use a soft cast hollow point and use a coating (no chance of powder contamination) instead of lube.

Don Verna

Texantothecore
04-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Any hollow point round will better than a hacksawed bullet. The Hague convention banned dum dums on the battlefield.

2wheelDuke
04-04-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm a bit skeptical of the dum dum cut for anything other than really close range. I got a Mihec hollowpoint mold and I love it.

I showed some people the boolits from it, and caught alot of hell claiming "I'll never see the light of day again if I use those in self defense." I don't agree with that theory, and haven't seen any case law supporting it.

For me it's a bit of a non-issue. Department policy says I'm supposed to use issued ammo in my off-duty carry gun. If I'm using my cast hollowpoints in defense, that'd mean that things are pretty bad and I'd used up all my factory Winchester ammo. At that point, I'd be far more worried about surviving than being hemmed up in court after the fact.

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to make and test some. I might just have to try it out to see.

Bullshop Junior
04-04-2014, 02:30 PM
I think its dumb they banned anything but FMJ for wars.

C. Latch
04-04-2014, 02:35 PM
I enjoy casting, reloading, and shooting, but my self-defense ammo is factory-loaded, for reasons too numerous to debate here.

wch
04-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Oh, that's because napalm and mines are allowed.

Gtek
04-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Practice- First to the chest, second to the head. Shoot them fast, shoot them dead! With any 45 projectile it does not matter, just some make them leak faster.

screamingjohnny
04-04-2014, 05:45 PM
I would think any 45 wound would make you leak enough to make you want to seek some medical help.

Bonz
04-04-2014, 05:54 PM
for self defense ammo, I use factory projectiles; Hornady XTP, FTX, or Speer Gold Dot (a common projectile for law enforcement). You can kill paper, tin cans, etc. with just about any other boolit ;-)

opos
04-04-2014, 06:15 PM
45 cal....just as it comes from the factory...FMJ or H/P...."lets in a lot of light and lets out a lot of liquid"...no need to try and "improve" on the modern technology unless you just want to experiment...factory hollow points are engineered to maximize the .45 and the "dum dum" boolits won't come close in performance.

gcsteve
04-04-2014, 06:25 PM

I have read somewhere that the reason was this: killing a soldier took one soldier out of the battle. Wounding a soldier took at least three soldiers out of the battle (the wounded soldier and at least two more to render aid and transport).

Jupiter7
04-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Practice- First to the chest, second to the head. Shoot them fast, shoot them dead! With any 45 projectile it does not matter, just some make them leak faster.

Headshots are best left to Hollywood movies. Center mass multiples from draw at various ranges and from hip are about all I practice anymore when high speed is concerned.

fredj338
04-04-2014, 08:23 PM
The old practice of cutting bullet noses went by the way side w/ the invention of quality JHP. A good LHP still works well & far superior to cutting bullet noses.

starmac
04-04-2014, 10:09 PM
From personal experience with an old homeade dum dum round, is the petals separate and go their separate ways. The doc wanted to cut me 6 inches one way and 4 inches the other, soooo I been saving that dum dum round for 30 some odd years.

MtGun44
04-04-2014, 11:00 PM
I think the term DumDum bullets referred to wood dowel nosed bullets made for the
single shot Martini or the Sniders. Later ones omitted the wood dowel and had a hollow
cavity with a bit of lead spun over it. I think these were leftovers from muzzle loading
days used for loading cartridges, or at least keeping the muzzle loading boolit design
when they went to cartridges.

Either way - the term "Dum Dum"is a Hollyweird and TV term, not a real gun term that is used.

Jacketed hollow points work quite well.

Bill

blikseme300
04-04-2014, 11:02 PM
I would think any 45 wound would make you leak enough to make you want to seek some medical help.

Exactly right. IMHO hollow points are an attempt to fix a too small & light projectile. My preferred carry pistol is a Colt .45 mod80 SS. When the hi-capacity crowd try their wining I show them my FNP-45 alternate carry piece. The ammo used for carry is factory hard ball.

MtGun44
04-04-2014, 11:42 PM
No question .45 ball is better than 9mm ball. I have a friend that retired from
a local PD that issued 1911s for decades, and USED to issue ball. After a few
shootings where the ball was 'less than optimally effective' - they switched to
200 gr Gold Dots. Very few shootings but indications are of more effectiveness,
but small samples. Even if they only do this half the time, I think it is a big
benefit. It appears that they expand in actual shootings at a very high
rate - like 90+% of the time.

I carry 230 Gold Dots. At WORST, they are a RN 230. At best (in my testing)
they become a .69-70 caliber HP with 12-13" penetration. I think this is
an improvement.

My 230 GDs MAY fail and become a 230 JRN, but a 230 JRN can never become a 230 JHP.

Bill

rintinglen
04-05-2014, 04:23 AM
My 230 GDs MAY fail and become a 230 JRN, but a 230 JRN can never become a 230 JHP.

Bill

More truth there in that sentence than in a month of Pelosi's speeches.

NavyVet1959
04-05-2014, 05:21 AM
I say, go ahead and experiment. It's probably not going to be useful, but you'll never really believe it unless you discover it for yourself. Just be sure to document your experiments and post the results.

At one time, I was curious about making a type of hollowpoint by driving a phillips head bit into the nose of a bullet. So, I took an arbor press, placed a bullet on the plate and a phillips head bit above it and drove the bit down into the nose of the bullet. Well, I quickly discovered that:

it was difficult to get it centered
keeping the bit perpendicular was rather difficult
once you drove it into the bullet, it wasn't going to drop out very easily.
sometimes the lead would crack instead of just spreading apart

I gave up on it after less than a dozen attempts. Maybe if I had used a drill press to hold the bit instead and had a way to hold the bullet so that it would automatically center each time. If it had worked, I might have tried a sharpened Torx bit the next time.

If I was trying to split the lead on the bullets like you mentioned, I would probably try it with a benchtop scroll saw (since I already have one). The cut that they make is very thin. On the other hand, maybe a cut that was wider at the top and narrow at the bottom would make it open up better...

Whatever you decide to do, it'll probably be more fun than poking holes in paper. :)

w5pv
04-05-2014, 07:25 AM
44-45-50=big hole going in bigger hole on the exit.No need for hollow points.

Bullshop Junior
04-05-2014, 10:09 AM
44-45-50=big hole going in bigger hole on the exit.No need for hollow points.

False. Depends on the bullet. I was shot with a 45 bullet that was almost the round nose, with just a little flat on the tip from a 45 colt, and the entrance hole was 45 cal, and exit was about 30 cal.

fatelvis
04-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Hollowpoint and softpoints were banned from war by the Hague Convention of 1899, not the Geneva convention as commonly circulated. The Geneva convention, as far as I can see, dealt more with the treatment of prisoners during war.
Here's an excerpt from the Hague convention circa 1899:

(IV,3): Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Bullets which can Easily Expand or Change their Form inside the Human Body such as Bullets with a Hard Covering which does not Completely Cover the Core, or containing Indentations

This declaration states that, in any war between signatory powers, the parties will abstain from using "bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body." Ratified by all major powers, except the United States.[15]

beagle
04-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Saw a lot of shotguns in VN loaded with 00 Buck and they seemed to work pretty well. Got hold of a M97 riot gun myself and had a lot of faith in it. Along with my M1911A1 and hardball, I never felt undergunned./beagle

JSnover
04-05-2014, 01:45 PM
At best they'll break up, which may or may not help. At worst they'll keyhole, which will mean you just wasted an otherwise good boolit. But it might be a fun way to pass an afternoon...

arjacobson
04-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Saw a lot of shotguns in VN loaded with 00 Buck and they seemed to work pretty well. Got hold of a M97 riot gun myself and had a lot of faith in it. Along with my M1911A1 and hardball, I never felt undergunned./beagle Beagle- I heard they carried shotguns in Vietnam. Were there a lot of guys who used them? I would think in a close combat situation OO buckshot would be ideal..

NavyVet1959
04-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Saw a lot of shotguns in VN loaded with 00 Buck and they seemed to work pretty well. Got hold of a M97 riot gun myself and had a lot of faith in it. Along with my M1911A1 and hardball, I never felt undergunned./beagle

"Most arguments with shotguns get solved rather expeditiously"

leeggen
04-05-2014, 10:30 PM
jcsteve (#20) only if you are an american. Others just leave the wounded lay and go on, chinesse wwII, Korea, Veitnamese, and some mouslims. So much for , only we go by rules and guideliness of war. Sorry for temp. high jacking thread.
CD

JSnover
04-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Actually, the Hague Convention's prohibit of expanding bullets was more an attempt to civilize warfare (I know, that's an oxymoron). According to Yale Law School Avalon Project, the declaration of St Petersburg (1868) inspired the ban on expanding bullets. Here's an excerpt:

"That the only legitimate object which States should endeavour to accomplish during war is to weaken the military forges of the enemy;

That for this purpose it is sufficient to disable the greatest possible number of men;

That this object would be exceeded by the employment of arms which uselessly aggravate the sufferings of disabled men, or render their death inevitable;

That the employment of such arms would, therefore, be contrary to the laws of humanity;…"

Sounds to me like they decided disabling wounds were more humane than unnecessary maiming or death.
Here's a link: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/dec99-03.asp

badgeredd
04-06-2014, 10:03 AM
I'd be hesitant to use a saw cut modified "dumdum" bullet for self defense. In some attorneys' minds, it would appear one was sadistic and out to do the most damage prior to an incident. Read as premeditated, sadistic, looking to kill. The fact that "dumdums" were outlawed in war give some credence to the argument in a trial setting. Good old hollow points would be preferable to a bullet modified to be more damaging. Hollow points are issued to police for self defense so one has backround against the sadistic argument. I can see one getting into a mess in the legal arena here in MI if they decided to defend their self with home-made saw cut "dumdum" bullets. My opinion is one is far better off using a traditional bullet, regardless of whether it is a hollow point design or any other shape nose, for self defense. One doesn't need to give a zealot lawyer the legal ammunition to make ones life miserable when his objective was to defend himself.

Edd

armexman
04-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Try 230 FMJ or 200 JHP; and a move to somewhere the Community shooting day is not on Saturday or any day of the week.

Dutchman
04-06-2014, 01:55 PM
I'd be hesitant to use a saw cut modified "dumdum" bullet for self defense. In some attorneys' minds, it would appear one was sadistic and out to do the most damage prior to an incident. Read as premeditated, sadistic, looking to kill. The fact that "dumdums" were outlawed in war give some credence to the argument in a trial setting. Good old hollow points would be preferable to a bullet modified to be more damaging. Hollow points are issued to police for self defense so one has backround against the sadistic argument. I can see one getting into a mess in the legal arena here in MI if they decided to defend their self with home-made saw cut "dumdum" bullets. My opinion is one is far better off using a traditional bullet, regardless of whether it is a hollow point design or any other shape nose, for self defense. One doesn't need to give a zealot lawyer the legal ammunition to make ones life miserable when his objective was to defend himself.

Edd

I know a couple lawyers who've done extensive research into the subject as it appears in case law and guess what? There are no cases in United States legal history to support what you suggest. None. You are propagating FUD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

Dutch

Dutchman
04-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Either way - the term "Dum Dum"is a Hollyweird and TV term, not a real gun term that is used.

See Mostly Murder by Sir Sydney Smith. published 1959 detailing some of his forensic examinations of homicides in the early 20th century. He uses the term several times with explanation.
http://www.amazon.com/Mostly-Murder-Sydney-Smiths-Autobiography/dp/1104853264

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dum_Dum_Arsenal
It was at this arsenal that Captain Neville Bertie-Clay developed the so-called "Dum-dum bullet" (Mark IV cartridge), an exposed-nose bullet designed to mushroom in flesh. This was the first expanding bullet for military use, later banned from use in warfare by the Hague Convention.

The Box O' Truth #32 - Dum-Dum Bullets and the Box O'Truth
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot32.htm

A learned monograph on the origins of a much mis-used term of today
http://www.thegunzone.com/dum-dum.html

The etymology of the word certainly predates Hollywood.

Dutch

MtGun44
04-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Yes, the use is factually linked to the Dum Dum Arsenal - no doubt that is real. IMO,
that useage is very out-dated in the late 20th century, and is kept alive only in
movie lingo. It seems found in those special places where Colt SAAs fire 15 or 20 times in
a row, an "expert shot" misses with a rifle at 25 yds many times, and a different
expert shot can hit an Indian on a fast horse at 200 yds with a quick shot - by resting
the barrel of his SAA on the elbow crook of the off arm.

I have never heard anyone that actually knows much about guns, and is not
on a movie say "he used a dum dum bullet". I stand by the statement as far as
useage in the last 30-40 years in the USA.

It is like "semi-automatic machine guns" and "loading bullets into my clip" and
"reached for my gat" and other Hollweird, Sam Spade and news media gun "lingo" which
I never see in gun magazines, or hear it with my many shooting friends or in the
books I read [or web sites where I hang out ;-) ]

But no question - there is an absolutely real, historical connection with expanding bullets
and the Dum Dum Arsenal in India. So, it is not technically wrong like "bullets" for cartridges,
just slightly odd and outdated.

Bill

18Z4X
04-06-2014, 11:40 PM
I know a couple lawyers who've done extensive research into the subject as it appears in case law and guess what? There are no cases in United States legal history to support what you suggest. None. You are propagating FUD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

Dutch

With all respect, "Case Law" and what some Sleazy Attorney will do to influence a Jury are two different things. And such things Have Come Up.

DEA Agent Frank White of the New York, Miami, Chicago, & D.C. Field Offices and participant in Operation Snowcap was grilled on the Stand concerning an "Officer Involved Shooting" (Frank being the Officer). The Attorney was attempting to make a case that because Agent White carried a .45 pistol while most other DEA Agents carried 9mm pistols at the time, it showed that he had a mental propensity toward Excessive Force just by carrying a more powerful handgun.

I am a retired Narcotics Officer, Police Firearms Instructor, and Officer-Involved-Shooting Investigator of 23 years, and I will ONLY carry Factory Ammunition that is made to standards accepted for Law Enforcement Use.

If anyone wants to give some Civil Litigation Attorney the opportunity to tell a jury that he used Home-Made Zombie-Killer ammunition in a Use-of-Force Incident, please feel free to do so. To me, it is worth the $21.95 to purchase Premium Ammunition, and never have that question be raised.

trucker76
04-07-2014, 12:18 AM

Dutch

True, but who wants to be the first?

Slow Elk 45/70
04-07-2014, 12:29 AM
If you have to shoot someone in self defense, as in a home defense or property defense you might want to check the state laws where you live....some people are and have been prosecuted for shooting this poor SOB with a HOME MADE boolit that is intended to cause death and maiming that a normal high velocity HP would not do ?????? No it doesn't make any sense to anyone except the lawyer that is trying to get the scumbag out of jail and put you in it. Just a thought for the cautious....practice with boolits, hunt Game with boolits, but keep something around with Factory bullets in the clip/cylinder for the nasty business as often as it is feasible . The gun laws of the big US towns and States are beyond our ability to apply reason to the facts... and most of our colleges are turning these leaches out on conveyor belts....so they will stop at nothing to make $$$$ IMHO , Jim

MtGun44
04-07-2014, 12:55 AM
"some people are and have been prosecuted "

I challenge you to cite one actual case - I don't believe this baloney. Ayoob has stated this,
too - but the only case he ever mentioned hinged on the powder burns at a close range
shot being unusually low for a handload compared to a factory load, calling into question
a suicide.

I sometimes carry handloads and am entirely unconcerned about it.

Bill

Jupiter7
04-07-2014, 01:04 AM
"some people are and have been prosecuted "

I challenge you to cite one actual case - I don't believe this baloney. Ayoob has stated this,
too - but the only case he ever mentioned hinged on the powder burns at a close range
shot being unusually low for a handload compared to a factory load, calling into question a suicide.

I sometimes carry handloads and am entirely unconcerned about it.

Bill

Im with ya Bill. No evidence of prosecution where handloads were deciding factor of guilt. In fact, there is a case where handloads were used and shooter found innocent. I've carried cast hanloads numerous
times, no qualms about it.

Case 1 quote

This was the first case where I saw the argument, “Why wasn’t regular ammunition deadly enough for you,” used by opposing counsel. They charged Kennedy with aggravated assault. They made a large issue out of his use of handloads, suggesting that they were indicative of a reckless man obsessed with causing maximum damage.

Defense counsel hired the expert I suggested, Jim Cirillo, who did a splendid job of demolishing that argument and other bogus arguments against Kennedy at trial, and Kennedy was acquitted.

This case dates back to the late 1970s. The local courts tell me that the case documentation will be on file at Rockingham County Superior Court, PO Box 1258, Kingston, NH 03843. File search time is billed at $25 per hour for cases such as this that date back prior to 1988.

Handloads prevented procecustion as Bill eluded to:
Quote:
For his second trial, Bias was assigned attorney Elisabeth Smith by the Public Defender’s office. Challenging the quality of evidence collection, she was able to weaken the prosecution’s allegation that the GSR factor equaled murder, but because the GSR issue was so muddled by the handloaded ammo factor, she could not present concrete evidence that the circumstances were consistent with suicide, and the second trial ended with a hung jury in 1992. At this point, the prosecution having twice failed to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, the judge threw out the murder charge.

Grendel99
04-07-2014, 01:31 AM
The Box of Truth testing 'dum-dum' bullets was neat. I would have thought the 9mm and .45 hardball made into 'dum-dum' bullets would have done a little more. The FMJ rifle bullet loaded backwards performed pretty well considering.

As far as carrying handloads or factory for self-defense, I tend to side with factory ammo. For one, modern hollow-points just work and work well. There is a reason every law enforcement agency uses them. One thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned is penetration. The guys who carry hardball/round noses almost makes me cringe. They over-penetrate like crazy and are more prone to ricochets. I believe it was the NYPD that was one of the last to issue JHP's to their officers. They thought JHP's were inhumane and were super bullets. They had a shooting where two cops shot at an armed suspect using their issued FMJ 9mm loads and though they hit the suspect several times, they also ended up hitting several people behind the suspect after the FMJ slugs went straight through. I don't believe any of them died, but they ended up suing the NYPD and won. Shortly after this incident the NYPD switched to JHP's. Modern hollow points in self-defense ammo are made to penetrate just enough to stay in the body.

The argument could be made that, statistically speaking, you will probably miss your intended target with a few of your shots and that nullifies the over penetration thing. I can definitely see that point but if you did, god forbid, hit a bystander, then that JHP wouldn't penetrate that person and keep going and hit who knows what. Also if you hit something solid, like a wall, it is more likely to not ricochet.

You can state that there hasn't been a single case where someone using handloads has been convicted because of it in a SD situation, but why give lawyers more 'ammo' so to speak, to use against you? As our society becomes more politically correct, more gun laws, more people who are anti-gun, I don't want to be the person that becomes that 'one case'. The likely-hood that you will even be in a self-defense situation where you have to use your gun is very remote, much less when the issue of if you used factory loads or handloads pops up, but I don't want anything that the opposing lawyer could use against me. People say, they would rather be judged by 12 instead of carried by six. Well I tend to agree with that, but what's the point if your life is ruined because you lost all your money defending your 'clean shoot' in the two years you were in court. Maybe you took a plea-bargain because the situation seemed hopeless and now you're a convicted felon (obviously assuming you were charged with a felony, just making a point) who can never own a firearm again. Wow, that turned out much longer than I intended.

popper
04-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Yup, crapola TV word. Tried it with 22LR when I was a kid (and TV gangster movies were IN). Doesn't work worth a darn. Just get WFN, SWC or HP. Kind of like teflon cop-killer stuff (non-cored).

nicholst55
04-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Oh, that's because napalm and mines are allowed.

Actually, napalm has been banned for many years now, and they're working hard to outlaw land mines.

MtGun44
04-07-2014, 02:44 PM
"more gun laws, more people who are anti-gun,"

You need to get out more. We have 100% of the states now allow some form of concealed carry,
three have no requirement for a license, and about 40 have "shall issue" with simple, objective
criteria. The Supreme Court has clearly stated that the right to "keep and bear" arms is an
individual right, and the only two places were handguns were not permitted to be owned at all
Washington, DC and Chicago, Ill have had to remove their bans and permit people to own
guns - and in DC, prevented the law from keeping the guns in a disassembled or locked state
so that they were unavailable for immediate self defense use.

We are CLEARLY winning the "gun rights are civil rights" battle nationwide, regardless of all
the BS noise the media puts out.

There a provably FEWER gun laws today than a few years ago in most states, with a few
exceptions like Crazy-fornia and New York, but they may well find those laws struck down, too.
Nationwide, the number of people that want guns banned or gun laws tightened is far below
the high water mark set in the 90s, as more people get CCW permits and crime drops, it
is nearly impossible to sell the "guns cause crime" BS anymore, even while the media keeps
up a steady drumbeat - and few are convinced outside of the looney NE big cities, San Fran
and LA. Sarah Brady's nutballs have had to change their name from "The National Coalition
to Ban Handguns" to "Handgun Control" because the original name was WAY unpopular.

Thirty years ago, I think there were no states that has "shall issue" laws, only ONE (Vermont)
which had no requirement for a permit to carry concealed, and most states essentially banned CCW
or limited it to retired cops or friends of the chief of police. Even Illinois has shall issue CCW -
by direct order of the federal courts because not having it violates the "bear arms" part of
the 2nd Amendment. We can now carry in National Parks, and Kansas has passed a law saying
state, county and city buildings must have a metal detector and guard at every entrance if
they want to exclude CCW holders from bringing in their guns. Kansas just passed a law
overriding 100% of all local gun laws that restrict guns, purchasing them or ammunition
in any way. We are definitely on the winning side now.

Bill

popper
04-07-2014, 03:11 PM
IIRC, Texas just passed one to prevent federal encroachment on state purchase,ownership & carry laws. Does Kansas still have chambered open carry? Many states are correcting their previous poor gun laws to ones that actually make sense. Only local decisions are on where you can shoot - that has caused lots of problems here but the state is trying to fix it. Money still talks

MtGun44
04-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Kansas has always had open carry, except for some cities. Recently the state attny general issued
an opinion that any cities that have laws against open carry cannot ban it, but only may prescribe
the "manner", such as in a holster, with the safety on, etc. Most suburbs of KC have given up and
agreed to permit it, but some are fighting in court, being sued by the Libertarian Party. They will
likely lose. Open carry is still unusual, but is starting to happen, and people are starting to adjust
to it.

Bill

JSnover
04-07-2014, 06:33 PM
As far as carrying handloads or factory for self-defense, I tend to side with factory ammo. For one, modern hollow-points just work and work well. There is a reason every law enforcement agency uses them.

Everyone seems to have missed that point. From local police departments to the various federal agencies, I don't think anyone in law enforcement has ever been authorized to load their own for official use or to contract a custom shop because factory ammunition was thought to be inferior.

MtGun44
04-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Lots of LE departments used to cast their own ammo and load it up. Stopped
doing it in the last 30 years or so. I'm sure it was primarily for practice ammo,
but I'd be real surprised if none was ever used on the street.

Today - cops don't really know or care much about guns, no way they'd hang
around and load up ammo at the cop shop like used to happen. A friend who
has retired as a local PD training officer told me that most of the current crop
of police officers "are about as interested in their guns as they are in their
flashlights, just a tool to use, provided by the city". That was at least 20 yrs
ago, I doubt that there has been a sudden surge of police recruits who are
really into guns. So - they buy factory ammo - and the factories build their
JHPs to meet the FBI standard - the only standard that was ever recognized
on bullet performance. "Good enough for the FBI, good enough for me" is
pretty much the attitude.

Bill

Grendel99
04-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Thanks Bill for telling me to get out more, that's helpful. While I agree we are more or less 'winning' on the side of gun owners, there are a ton of new gun laws. We have something like 10,000 plus gun laws now. We finally have some sort of concealed carry in all 50 states. How was that accomplished? Through passing laws. We have all sorts of laws restricting magazine capacity (several of which were recently passed due to the Sandy Hook shooting), gun free zones, where you can carry concealed, where you can leave your firearm (home, business, school), and waiting periods. I would definitely argue we have a lot more laws that are gun related than we did even five years ago. We might have more laws but overall it seems things are going well for the 2nd amendment despite who our president is.

I remember hearing stories of police stations having big gang molds to cast thousands of wadcutters for their revolvers and assigning a guy or two to just crank out ammo with their reloaders at the station. That certainly would go over well today though it could be beneficial with how badly most departments budgets are. In Jim Cirillo's book he mentions trying out different handloads and bullet types that he used on duty. If I remember correctly he liked to have the first chambered round in his 1911 to be a full wadcutter. It does seem like a lot of police officers these days don't know jack about guns. A lot of them have never even fired a gun before their training.

Dutchman
04-08-2014, 02:03 AM
I am a retired Narcotics Officer, Police Firearms Instructor, and Officer-Involved-Shooting Investigator of 23 years, and I will ONLY carry Factory Ammunition that is made to standards accepted for Law Enforcement Use.

(I deleted my response to this statement in order to keep a more congenial atmosphere in the forum)

Home-Made Zombie-Killer ammunition

This is part of the problem. Your perception of what I may shoot is skewed. Incorrect. In my vintage 1933 Colt Gov't I shoot nothing but 230 gr round nose cast bullets. They feed all the time. There's nothing exotic about them, nothing extra special, they don't kill zombies any faster or deader. This is the cast bullet forum. Everybody here shoots cast bullets.

Dutch

18Z4X
04-08-2014, 10:22 PM
The subject is "Loading DumDum Boolits". Questions were also asked about "x-ing" and drilling the tips of home-made projectiles, and that qualifies them as being considered "exotic" by some.

I've been involved in Both Ends of justified shootings (as both a Subject & an Investigator), and it is Never a pleasant experience.

A civil litigation case does not require a unanimous verdict from the jury; only a majority.

This was just to help deprive some Lawsuit Attorney of One More Arrow in his Quiver when he's licking his chops & looking at suing someone who Legally used force.

(The following is not to compare anyone here to O.J Simpson, but shows the System)
Even O.J was found "Not Guilty" in the Criminal Case, but was sued in a Civil Case for the same Event and Lost.

Anyone else can carry whatever he likes. It won't jeopardize the equity in my own house.

But remember the quote attributed to George Patton after his incident, "I wish I'd kissed the S.O.B."

18Z4X
04-08-2014, 10:25 PM
(By the way, I've cast my own bullets since 1971.)

phonejack
04-08-2014, 10:37 PM
You need to google that phrase and learn how it came to be. Hint, British arsenal in India

MtGun44
04-09-2014, 12:34 AM
That has been discussed extensively, if you were reading the posts. Yes, you are
correct.

Bill

Certaindeaf
04-09-2014, 01:43 AM
My favorite dumdum really isn't.. it's just a long .357" or so of about an inch long that tumbles after impact.. I use SWC or WC profile in case it doesn't out of that particular gun but have tested and know what they'll do.
A favorite is the old Lee 143gr(?) SWC out of a Hi-Power.. those things are accurate but will tumble after hitting, causing terrific damage to flesh and bone.

azrednek
04-09-2014, 02:02 AM
I think the term DumDum bullets referred to wood dowel nosed bullets made for the
single shot Martini or the Sniders. Later ones omitted the wood dowel and had a hollow
cavity with a bit of lead spun over it. I think these were leftovers from muzzle loading
days used for loading cartridges, or at least keeping the muzzle loading boolit design
when they went to cartridges.

Jacketed hollow points work quite well.

Bill

From what I read years ago, mid 70's. The Brits while experimenting with expanding projectiles at you guessed it Dum Dum India. The hollow cavity was enlarged, filled with Mercury then sealed up by hammering in a tapered wooden dowel. From what I recall, please give me a break as it has been many years since I read it. The Mercury filled Dum Dum was as expected very explosive on impact but the slow rifling twist of the day would not stabilize the projectile and it was what today we'd say printing sideways. I just can't recall the effective accurate range, it was short maybe 100 yards or less and the project scraped.

Lawyers, handloads, hollow points and altering bullets are always good for a few pages on any gun related board. While I was sitting on a Grand jury, during a break, outside with prosecutors, cops and jurors sneaking a quick smoke. I can recall the handloaded bullet subject coming up twice. One of the other jurors believed all they hype. Two different prosecutors basically said the same. It could come up and have an impact in a pre-meditated homicide. Both lawyers said they were unaware of it ever coming up. In a justifiable homicide as one attorney said if it is justifiable, it is justifiable. What one uses to defend themselves is unimportant be it a hammer, pool cue or gun. He then briefly discussed the use of a blow torch being used in a case he studied in law school.