DCP

Pb2au
04-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Go buy this;
Husqvarna 323L Straight Shaft Trimmer

It simply works. And works very well.

popper
04-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Get the head (don't remember the brand) that you put 2 8" strings into - the bouncers don't work. Cut a bunch of strings (0.090"), put in pocket. When they break, push the button and insert new string. I've got a huskvarna - motor is good but the rest is pretty crummy. It was free cause the SIL couldn't get it to start & run. Just cleaned the carb. I still recommend the Echo.

RickinTN
04-04-2014, 11:47 AM
I had an old (20+ years) Shindaiwa that needed some carburetor parts which were un-available. After the first one lasted so long and worked so well, I replaced it with a new Shindaiwa about 4 years ago. Since then my 3 sons have married and gotten their own places and I bought each one of them an Echo, although I don't remember the model numbers (all from the same dealer). I was told that either Echo now owns Shindaiwa or the other way around. As I recall their's were in the $219 range and all 4 have been great. I do only use ethanol-free gasoline in my 2-stroke equipment and each time I mix I add a "splash" of Sea Foam. I think I know two things about them....Straight shaft is the way to go, and the quick-load head is a great improvement over the old style. I keep a little over 5 acres on one place with 400' of black horse fence and edge the mulch beds, sidewalk, and driveway with mine as well. I also keep a smaller place that takes about 15 minutes to do the trim work. We have all been pleased with ours. Sorry I can't be more specific on your model numbers, but I hope this helps.
Take care,
Rick

06ackley
04-04-2014, 11:57 AM
I have the Echo SRM-225 and am very happy with it.The bumpfeed line works and it is simple to put line back on it when you run out.My brother traded in his Stihl and got the Echo and he is also happy with his.

Rick Hodges
04-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I have the Stilhl straight shaft. Mechanically it is very good but the line feed system is a PITA! I have an Echo leaf/grass blower and it is terrific....starts and runs great.

blackthorn
04-04-2014, 12:42 PM
I have 2 Echo chain saws and a trimmer (can't recall the model) I got my son an echo chain saw as well. We are very happy with Echo products.

novalty
04-04-2014, 12:47 PM
I have a Stihl and it ain't nearly as good as the older ones. Lost ICM ignition control module, and have had to have carb replaced. I do give it a hell of a work out though, as I put over 1 tank of gas through it each time I trim my property. The bump feed works fine, but I sure miss their auto-feed heads.

bandsmoyer
04-04-2014, 12:53 PM
I've had an Echo for years, and everything works perfect.

osteodoc08
04-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I also have the Echo SRM-225. It starts easily every time and has caused me no grief. More than I can say for the cheaper homeowner grade stuff like ryobi. I was so happy with it that I went and bought a Chainsaw, edger and blower. The blower is temperamental as I can't adjust the carb in it due to the anti tamper design. The chainsaw is a CS-450 and I pulled the limiter caps and tuned her up and she'll sing all day long. Best running homeowner grade chainsaw I've ever had and that includes husky and Stihl. I vote for the Echo.

monadnock#5
04-04-2014, 04:44 PM
I bought a Honda 4 cycle a couple of years ago. It's nice not having to mix fuel. If you have anything tougher than grass, get a head that will take 0.100 strings cut to length.

04-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Stihl makes the best trimmer. And the 25-2 autocut head can't be beat. I used to own a lawn business and I've tried them all

Jeff Michel
04-04-2014, 07:24 PM
I bought my wife a straight shaft Echo a couple years ago and it has worked great from day one. My wife could ruin an armoured car with a cotton swab.

04-04-2014, 08:07 PM
My srm 260 was a heap!

GOPHER SLAYER
04-04-2014, 08:40 PM
My problem wasn't with the trimmer but with the string. No matter what I tried the string would break after 3 to 5 minutes. I even tried throttle cable off of a motorcycle. It didn't last as long as the plastic cutters. The bounce feed didn't work for me either. I solved the problem by selling the house , lawn and all.

beagle
04-04-2014, 09:43 PM
I own two Stihls and in season, I do a LOT of trimming as I have almost half a mile of rock fence and a huge bridge approach, two barns and a small pond and keep up about 5 acres around the house . Go though several packages of trimmer cord every year. Only problems I have had is the diaphragm in the carb will go out after about three years due to alcohol in the unleaded gas (according to Stihls service people). I use and abuse mine and my next will be a Stihl./beagle

2thepoint
04-05-2014, 12:29 AM
I've had a bunch of others trimmers that have died.....the echo has been the best.

MaryB
04-05-2014, 01:26 AM
I bough this a few years ago, no spools, easy to replace single string piece. Swappable brush cutter head that is rather useless... starts easy enough for me with bad shoulders. http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PP325-17-Inch-2-Cycle-Straight/dp/B000DZXHUC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1396675514&sr=8-11&keywords=weed+trimmer

blackthorn
04-05-2014, 10:24 AM
I replaced the string head on my trimmer with one that has (?)Nylon blades. I am very happy with those!

Iowa Fox
04-05-2014, 10:47 AM
I own two Stihls and in season, I do a LOT of trimming as I have almost half a mile of rock fence and a huge bridge approach, two barns and a small pond and keep up about 5 acres around the house . Go though several packages of trimmer cord every year. Only problems I have had is the diaphragm in the carb will go out after about three years due to alcohol in the unleaded gas (according to Stihls service people). I use and abuse mine and my next will be a Stihl./beagle

And I thought I had a lot of trimming!!

waynem34
04-05-2014, 12:08 PM
From what I understand a commercial trimmer will last a home owner a very long time compared to the the little trimmers that most regular joes will buy.I have a ryobi commercial trimmer that I've had for about fifteen years.The stuff the landscapers use is the ones you want, but you can buy two cheap ones or one nice one.I like the power the commercial trimmers have.GoodLuck

dagger dog
04-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Stihl makes the best trimmer. And the 25-2 autocut head can't be beat. I used to own a lawn business and I've tried them all

I have a FS 86 Stihl straight shaft brush cutter bought in '88, rebuilt the carb' about 2 years ago still has the same fuel lines, no push bulb, just a choke and would bet 10 bucks that it'll start and run on the third pull, after setting all winter. But it's a bruiser to hump, spend a couple hours with it is like going 3 minutes with a pro heavy weight.

They make excellent equipment, so does Husqvarna. If I were to buy another it would be a smaller Stihl, or Husky.

Threw away my money and bought a 4 cycle Ryobi, the little engine is OK and is easy starting, with enough power for small yards but the trimmer heads are pain.

abunaitoo
04-05-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm in the minority. I use an electric corded trimmer from Craftsman.
Still use the bump feed head.
Been going strong for almost 7 years now.
My main reason for going electric is it's quiet.
I'm gotten uses to the cord.
I have a Ryobi, Echo and Shindaiwa, but haven't used them since I got the craftsman.

04-06-2014, 06:14 PM
The truth is, any homeowner could probably pick up any commercial trimmer out there and he'll think it's the greatest thing ever! Lol

Fishman
04-06-2014, 06:55 PM
I have a stihl fs85 straight shaft that is 15 years old. It always works and I don't recall ever doing anything to it except adding gas and changing attachments around. The blade that you sharpen like a chain saw is the best thing since sliced bread. My string bump feed works fine too.

CastingFool
04-06-2014, 07:05 PM
fwiw, I have a friend who owns and runs a rental shop. I asked him about recommending a chainsaw for home use. He recommended I buy Echo. Good quality and relatively easy to work on.

Nicholas
04-06-2014, 09:29 PM
I rented an Echo pruner and two different machines had problems. Gave up and spent a grand on a Stihl power head and four different attachments - pole saw, string trimmer, blade trimmer, and blower. It works!

wv109323
04-06-2014, 10:51 PM
I have a Husqvarna 326. I have worn out about six trimmer heads over the last 5-6 years. I highly recommend them.

Mallard57
04-07-2014, 01:47 AM
I prefer Echo string trimmers but the stihls aren't bad either. Like an earlier poster said alcohol will ruin carb diaphragms on a regular basis. Good string trimmer line like Gatorline helps alot. If you are nocking down big tough weeds and such, both Echo and Stihl bigger models ,you can get a flail head(plastic flails) that works well.

Freightman
04-07-2014, 03:03 PM
For what it is worth I haven't bought a trimmer in 20 years so don't know but mine is a cheap $39 at the time I think Weed Eater Feather lite. Would I recomend a new one no as I know the quality has went down over the last 20 years.

Gator 45/70
04-08-2014, 02:02 AM
I have the echo with a curved shaft and also uses the 8" precut nylon string. However I find that stainless steel leader material last longer.

dkf
04-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Still using an Echo curved shaft trimmer bought new in 1982. My grandfather is still using an echo trimmer that is a lot older than mine. Bought another Echo as a spare about 10 years ago. Fixed jet carb and did not run to my liking and started hard. Machined a new intake manifold and bolted on a Walbro carb I had with high/low adjustments and it started easy and ran great after that. The carb was really the only issue I could find with it. Ended up giving it to my sister to trim her first house.

I have both the 2-string precut and the bump heads. Much prefer the bump head however winding line is an annoyance but it is worth it to me.

silverado
04-10-2014, 11:16 PM
I don't have a lot to trim but an electric ryobi battery lasts a long time. My trimming is probably less than most of Ya'lls so I won't promote it too much.