PDA

View Full Version : Which flints?

wch
04-04-2014, 04:51 AM
I have a Lyman 54 caliber Deerstalker and I am looking for flints; I have seen writeups on the English flints from Track of the Wolf, and from a company called "Elkk", but I'm sure there are many other choices.
What's your opinion of the cut agate flints from T/C?
Any hints and tricks are appreciated.

rhbrink
04-04-2014, 06:30 AM
I wouldn't waste my money on the cut agate no matter where they are from. Get some real English Flints there are also some French flints out there that some like as well or better that the English. I have only used the English so can't comment on the French variety. TOW, there is also Stonewallcreekoutfitters, LogCabinonline, probably others.

Good Luck

RB

DIRT Farmer
04-04-2014, 08:07 AM
I also had poor luck with the sawn flints. When I buy flints I normaly get them from Stone wall outfitters, they are cheaper by the 90 flint bag.

Pb2au
04-04-2014, 08:36 AM
+3 on English flints.
The sawn ones are definite under achievers. Dixie gun works is another place to check. Heck, you can even buy a nodule of English flint and make your own if you were so inclined.
I am lucky to live near enough to Friendship Indiana, so every time I go ever there for the rendezvous, I just buy a couple of pockets full and that keeps me going.

RU shooter
04-04-2014, 09:28 AM
The english and French flints are good there is also the ark/Tex chert flints that Muzzleloader builders supply sell for a buck each and they are sparking and lasting just as long for me as the English Ones I've used . At almost half the price that's what I've been buying and using and will continue to do so

waksupi
04-04-2014, 10:12 AM
English and French Amber flints are the best. Both wear about equally. The American flints are harder, and are pretty hard on a frizzen. I have some I got from Rich Pierce, but consider them emergency use only.

Hanshi
04-04-2014, 03:24 PM
My first choice is the English flint, American white flint #2.

raingauge
04-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Another for the English flint. Never had great luck with the sawn flints

OverMax
04-05-2014, 12:09 AM
Flints. Everyone has a preference. English French German even Missouri has a excellent flint. If you've checked lately those off shore flints are indeed getting to be expensive. You might want to check out this young fellows flints as he's a hand knapper and is willing to sell at a reasonable price. Just tell him what you want and see if He can accommodate.

http://www.ericsrocks.com/gun.html

starmac
04-07-2014, 01:23 PM
I don't yet own a flinter, but our hardware carries a limited (very limited) amount of muzzle loader supplies, and I just noticed they have flints. These are packaged by traditions, I think 3 to a package, and are called english flints.

scattershot
04-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Another vote for the English flint. If you're unsure of the size, measure the width of your frizzen, and go from there. I never had much luck with the sawn flints, either. They come dull and tend to stay that way.

Whiterabbit
04-17-2014, 01:49 AM
I've gone through $30 worth of sawn flints and shot less on them than ONE French Amber flint, which I personally prefer over English. I piss on sawn flints. A pox on....

Starmac, if those traditions flints are all identical, they are sawn. Avoid like the plague. no two knapped flints will look the same.

This sawn flints need to be sharp as all can be to spark, and they dull on every shot. I can shoot an amber flint dull and it still sparks true.

Dean D.
04-17-2014, 10:12 AM
I prefer the French Amber with English Black a real close second. Cut agate work in a pinch but I don't really like them.

Hang Fire
04-19-2014, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on the cut agate no matter where they are from. Get some real English Flints there are also some French flints out there that some like as well or better that the English. I have only used the English so can't comment on the French variety. TOW, there is also Stonewallcreekoutfitters, LogCabinonline, probably others.

Good Luck

RB

I have a diamond saw and frequent rock shows buying up scrap Brazilian agate. It sparks hotter than any flints I have ever seen.

Whiterabbit
04-19-2014, 05:33 PM
I don't need them to spark hot as long as they ignite the pan. I want them to last for 100 shots. agate has never done that for me.

Boaz
04-19-2014, 06:30 PM
I prefer the English flint , plenty of spark and hold up well .

missionary5155
04-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Greetings
Been around flinters since I was running about the sand hills of SW Michigan as a nubbin. 60 years back the English flints were all I knew existed cause that's all dad and his Navy buddy had. That's all I knew about till maybe 20 years ago when I saw a sign advertising "French flints" at the big Indianapolis show and tried some. Later show I saw the light colored TC rocks in the blister pack. Tried them.. Next time I needed flints I ordered the jumbo bag of English Flints again and have no desire for anything else.
Mike in Peru