PDA

View Full Version : Found me a .45 Cal Jukar Flintlock and it's making progress...

tacklebury
04-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Well, been wanting to play with a flinter for some time. I traded off a pistol I wasn't really going to use for one and it was a little rough. Before pics were supplied prior to purchase, but aren't the best quality. When I first took it out it took about 7 tries to get a spark and on the 8th it set off the pan and fired and the trigger return spring broke. I cleaned it and found the inside of the lock was pretty rusted and had probably never been cleaned. I soaked everything with gun oil and repeatedly brushed, and wiped down and resoaked the parts for about 2 weeks. I purchased a replacement spring for the sear and replaced one screw that had a head which was in bad shape. I decided while I had it apart, I'd strip the old varnish as it wasn't protecting the wood anyway in many places and have it stripped and prepped for staining. I am still trying to decide if I want to leave it light or go with the dark stain I'd intended to use. Kind of a cherry mahogany deep color that really offsets the brass well. Brass has all been polished and after reassembly and fitting, the lock has sparked every single time for 100 times so far without a failure. WOOT!! Once I get the wood protected, I can't wait to get out and play with it some more. ;)

Before:

Prepped for Stain:

Only repair I still need to do is glue down a little lifted grain at the rear of the lock. The lock inletting was done a little off at the factory apparently and they just varnished over the fault. It became pretty obvious once I got the finish off though. Should probably have updated pics of the finished gun by the Weekend. ;)

Pb2au
04-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Great progress on that shooter.
What caliber is it?

tacklebury
04-04-2014, 07:26 PM
.45 cal. I have a maxi ball mold and .440 rb mold waiting for my new lead supply to arrive. 8)

Wayne Smith
04-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Are you familiar with MinWax's Red Chestnut stain? Sounds like what you are describing. Good job on it so far.