PDA

View Full Version : Graveside non-uniformed veteran Protocol

Boz330
04-03-2014, 01:26 PM
My long time friend is being buried this Saturday and I am one of the Pall Bearers. They are going to have an Air Force Honor Guard for him. My question is what is the protocol for fellow non-uniformed veterans during the salute and taps, salute, hand over heart, position of attention? For uniformed personnel it is all spelled out.

Thanks
Bob

montana_charlie
04-03-2014, 02:06 PM
My long time friend is being buried this Saturday and I am one of the Pall Bearers. They are going to have an Air Force Honor Guard for him. My question is what is the protocol for fellow non-uniformed veterans during the salute and taps, salute, hand over heart, position of attention? For uniformed personnel it is all spelled out.

Thanks
Bob
When dressed in civilian clothes, act like a civilian.
Standing at attention is okay, but not required.
Hand over the heart for Anthem or Pledge.

But, I have trouble advising anyone about Taps.
I am incapable of listening to Taps without standing at attention and rendering the hand salute.
Sorry, just can't do it any other way ...

CM

jcwit
04-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Rules have changed regarding ex-serviceman, not in uniform, a hand salute while at attention during Taps, National Anthem, or during the rifle volley is perfectly OK. Non-Veterans, hand over heart.

I'm a member of our local American Legion and serve on our Honor Guard for funerals. Have only missed 1 in the past 8 years. Still Proudly Serving.

Friends call me Pac
04-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Like jcwit said. Salute is perfectly fine in civies if you are a vet.

LUBEDUDE
04-03-2014, 04:15 PM
I can tell ya that when I'm at a SASS Match, when the Pledge of Allegience is performed with The Flag raising, all the Vets salute. There are usually 15-20 of them.

Love Life
04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
I don't salute unless in uniform outdoors (obviously cover on) or under arms.

Hawkeye45
04-03-2014, 04:35 PM
I have not been able to listen to taps for years, brings up too many lost friends.

I am going to have taps played twice at my funeral (I can't hear it anyway), once for me and once for all the vets that preceded me.

Mr. Ed

HarryT
04-03-2014, 04:51 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/a/salutechange.htm
A provision of the 2009 Defense Authorization Act changes federal law to allow U.S. veterans and military personnel not in uniform to render the military hand-salute when the national anthem is played. The new law took effect on October 14.

I've always wanted a military funeral until recently. The way the US military is heading, it looks like I may have to have either a Christian funeral or a military funeral since the political correct liberals want to remove the Bible from anything remotely connected to the US government.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/military-funeral-etiquette.html
For members of the Armed forces, both current and formal, military funeral attire will be complete dress uniform. Such guests should salute in the following situations:

When the hearse passes by
Any time that the casket is moved, for example, from the hearse to the grave
When the formal gun salute is performed
The playing of Taps
When the casket is being lowered into the grave

Civilians should not salute but instead must remove any headgear immediately and place it over the heart. In the absence of headgear, the customary gesture is to place the right hand over the heart. This is a sign of respect to the fallen soldier.
Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/military-funeral-etiquette.html

Rick Hodges
04-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Since 2009 Vet's render a hand salute while wearing civilian clothes or uniform. If you choose not to, who will know the difference or care? Prior to 2009 only uniformed personnel rendered a hand salute. I choose to salute.

Love Life
04-03-2014, 07:20 PM
BAMCIS:

SEC. 595. MILITARY SALUTE FOR THE FLAG DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES NOT IN
UNIFORM AND BY VETERANS.

Section 301(b)(1) of title 36, United States Code, is amended by
striking subparagraphs (A) through (C) and inserting the following new
subparagraphs:
``(A) individuals in uniform should give the
military salute at the first note of the anthem and
maintain that position until the last note;
``(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who
are present but not in uniform may render the military
salute in the manner provided for individuals in
uniform; and
``(C) all other persons present should face the flag
and stand at attention with their right hand over the
heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should
remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it
at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart;

Love Life
04-03-2014, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't say a thing either.

Love Life
04-04-2014, 12:32 AM
I did not. I live over in Marine land where we the MCO P1020.34g w/change 1-a bazillion is the gospel as handed down from upon high.

Lloyd Smale
04-04-2014, 03:55 AM
If your a veteran you earned the right to salute a fellow veteran or the american flag.

trapper9260
04-04-2014, 08:58 AM
If your a veteran you earned the right to salute a fellow veteran or the american flag.

Yes you did and if anyone say different it is not them to say anything.For how things are today.They do not feel the same way anymore.I say what you like to do and want to do it.i do and do not care what others say.We earn that right.

Boz330
04-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks Guys.

Bob

fatnhappy
04-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Sgt Mike, the conduct of civilian pallbearers is spelled out on page 103 of my well worn copy of FM 22-5. Being as nothing in a FM supercedes USC and you are no longer subject to AR, I would suggest you let your conscience be your guide.

FWIW when we buried my wife's grandfather last year, he being a D-day+4 to VE day combat veteran, I was a pallbearer, wore my CIB and rendered a hand salute. I deemed it appropriate.

I did none of those things at my Uncle's interment at the West Point Cemetary, nor did my brother a Marine combat veteran. It was hand over heart for my Uncle. Part of that stems from feeling "small" in such august company, considering my Uncle spent more years in combat than I had in service.

TomcatPC
11-18-2014, 01:27 AM
Wish I had seen this topic before 16 July, when my 91 year old WWII Veteran Dad passed. I wish the undertaker could have briefed me before on what to expect as to being a Veteran and the folding of the flag. I felt so awkward...when Taps was played I was seated, then saluted...then stood up. I still feel like a dufus, wish I had known ahead of time what to expect, guess I was not thinking too far ahead. I did get to say "Thank You Shipmate" when the BM1 gave me the flag though. The good news is that I will never have to go through that again in this lifetime...
Mark

waynem34
11-18-2014, 02:55 AM
never easy

Butler Ford
11-18-2014, 05:13 AM
Lloyd got it right. You earned the right to render a hand salute, you at the same time earned the right to chose. I sometimes do, sometimes I don't, just what ever feels right at the time but always for the flag.

BF

gkainz
11-18-2014, 05:16 PM
I have not been able to listen to taps for years, brings up too many lost friends.

I am going to have taps played twice at my funeral (I can't hear it anyway), once for me and once for all the vets that preceded me.

Mr. Ed

That touched me....

Blacksmith
11-18-2014, 10:02 PM
I am a veteran and I salute. The choice is yours but us veterans are a dying breed and all deserve every bit of respect we can muster.

Thank you for your service!

Outpost75
11-19-2014, 12:56 AM
I don't salute unless in uniform outdoors (obviously cover on) or under arms.

That's what I was taught, but if at VFW or Am Legion function, covered, will render the hand salute..(Am under arms, concealed, of course).

beagle
11-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Amen. He's a "brother" and deserves a salute. Render one. If I'm ever challenged otherwise, this old Command Sergeant Major will get to revisit olden times and correct some politically correct young feller in his best CSM verbal form./beagle

Tn Jim
11-22-2014, 01:08 AM
if your a veteran you earned the right to salute a fellow veteran or the american flag.
Exactly!!! I am a Army Infantry vet and I salute.

Bad Water Bill
11-22-2014, 02:45 AM
Us veterans are a dying breed and all deserve every bit of respect we can muster.

Thank you for your service!

On my block(1/2 mile long of 45' lots)there are 0 flags flown besides mine.

Yes we are truly a vanishing breed and shrinking every year.

I still am proud that I can say I did sign the big check and help keep MY country free.

To ALL here that have served "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE".