PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 1895 SBL worth the money?

Jevyod
04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
I am seriously contemplating a 45-70. I don't really need one, just think it is a cool round! I am looking pretty hard at a Marlin 1895 SBL. However, they carry a price tag of 850+. I could get a standard 1895 for around 6 Benjamins. So is the SBL worth the extra? I really really like the looks of the SBL. I am a Laminate/stainless guy. Also, I like the larger loop, and the higher capacity. I know I wouldn't need the extra capacity, ( probably wont use it for anything more dangerous that an elk) but hey, you can shoot oftener without reloading:bigsmyl2: So should I go with the SBL?
Also, when mounting a scope, I read that some guys prefer a scout style to avoid getting "scope bit". What is the feeling on that? I know the sight on the SBL is supposed to be pretty good, might try it without a scope.

NSB
04-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Jevyod, I don't own either one but I can tell you this from experience....buy the one you want. If you don't you'll always wish you did. If you get the one you want, you'll never be sorry you got it. If you take that cash difference and spread it out over several years and it won't amount to a hill of beans. If you don't get the one you want, you'll think about it every time you pick up the gun. I've been there on lots of things besides guns and I learned a long time ago to not cheat myself out of what I really want as long as I could afford it. If you can't afford it, save a little longer and get what you really want. Been there, done that. Get the SBL

oldred
04-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Your post leaves no doubt that the SBL is what you WANT and if you settle for second best now to save a few dollars you will regret it sooner or later and probably sooner, no matter how much you may like the cheaper rifle you will STILL want the SBL!

Remember it's all about GREED not NEED! :mrgreen:

jetsfan-24
04-03-2014, 11:56 AM
I was in the same boat on the same gun I had it ordered from my gun shop for 15 months he could,nt find it any where so I called 4 more gun shops they could,nt find it so I went 2 Cabels.s they had it I looked it over alot and paid 1000+ out the door for it but I don,t regret it a bit every time I look at it

bigted
04-03-2014, 01:13 PM
looks aint everything ... however ... my SBL with the real wood is both to me ... I have not had a 45-70 shoot anywhere near as good as this little silver beast. I carry it with a scope mounted as my eyes are getting fuzzy and I am way more comfy with my ability with the scope mounted. mine is everything I ever wanted in a lever ...

fast to handle.
easy to point.
lite to pack.
carry enough ammo to not need more in a pocket.
recoil is the best managed I have ever had in 45-70.
with the "wood" stocks ... it looks like a rifle should ...[in my eyes].
the ability to have a sling is already there.
it has the Marlin ability to be field stripped in a heartbeat.
with just a little fiddling it is a very smooth action.
shooting paperpatch thru it ... the bore is now nice and shiny and smooth.
the stainless metal is nice to carry in the rain and snow for a no worry finish till I can get it cleaned and oiled.

guess I could go on for a while as I really like mine. I have seen em for the 800 neighborhood and to my thinking ... they are worth every penny in any economy. just don't settle with some other model to save a couple bucks ... you will kick yourself every time you think on it. hold out for the rifle you really want.

Jailer
04-03-2014, 08:58 PM
I love my SBL. It's a newer Remlin and it shoots great. The peep sight on this is nice too even for my not so young eyes. Just make sure you look one over in person before you buy so you can make sure you're getting a good one.

I'm also a sucker for the pepper laminate/stainless combination in a gun.

blackpowder man
04-03-2014, 11:56 PM
There was a used blued with grayish blue laminate sbl here for 6 benjamins. It's gone now thank goodness. If I get another 1895 it really needs to be stainless. That definitely would make it the perfect hunting rifle.

Lonegun1894
04-04-2014, 01:52 AM
I agree with the above advice, having "settled" for the not-quite-what-I-wanted and then buying the one I wanted to begin with in the end anyway. Trust me, if you're anything like me, it's cheaper to get the one you really want the first time instead of buying several in between and then still shelling out the money for the one you originally wanted.

jonp
04-04-2014, 08:22 PM
To me its not worth the extra money. To you it is. If you buy the cheaper one you will end up trading it for the one you want anyways so why not get it now.
when i was looking for my first bike i wanted a harley softail. They always said "motorcycle" to me but they were expensive. I was all set to buy a Vulcan as a reasonable first bike but when i walked into the dealer there was a Softail Custom all chromed out. I stopped to look at it and the owner came over to tell me the Vulcan was ready. Never mind I want this one. Cost me twice as much but every time i start it up i get a big smile on my face.

Gunslinger1911
04-04-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm in about the same boat. Really want an 1895 Cowboy, can't find one, $1000 + looking at recent sales. Just has the "look" I want.

1895 GBL can be found, 2-300 cheaper. Still cool lookin, ........... but........ not a Cowboy !!!

I'll wait

kayak1
04-04-2014, 10:33 PM
I ordered my 1895SBL last June, it just came in, I hope to pick it up this weekend.

Having stainless is worth it for me as I am planning a ocean kayak trip in AK next year.
I plan on keeping on my front deck in a Watershed bag:
http://drybags.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=D&Product_Code=FGW-GUN&Category_Code=SportsmanSeries

I really hope it's the gun that I think that it will be.

MBTcustom
04-04-2014, 10:41 PM
The 1895 guide gun is one of the most endearing rifles I have bought. I just wanted to see what it was like, but it now has a permanent spot in my cabinet. I love it, love it, love it!

upr45
04-05-2014, 09:37 AM
I have a 1895 (22" bbl with pistol grip) and a 1895 guide(18" bbl straight grip stock). I like them both, I would never get rid of either and know that I can get more than I paid for them. Once you use a 45-70 it is almost impossible to do without, unless some medical condition arises. The SBL has a lot of features that appeal to me and I would have one if I started buying 45 70's today. Get it -- you will not regret the extra $200 or so.

mizzouri1
04-05-2014, 10:45 AM
i agree 100%,
Jevyod, I don't own either one but I can tell you this from experience....buy the one you want. If you don't you'll always wish you did. If you get the one you want, you'll never be sorry you got it. If you take that cash difference and spread it out over several years and it won't amount to a hill of beans. If you don't get the one you want, you'll think about it every time you pick up the gun. I've been there on lots of things besides guns and I learned a long time ago to not cheat myself out of what I really want as long as I could afford it. If you can't afford it, save a little longer and get what you really want. Been there, done that. Get the SBL

Jevyod
04-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I guess it was pretty obvious what I really wanted!!! As far as a scope....should I go extended eye relief/scout style or just standard. I really do not like the looks of the scout style. Are there advantages? Or do most go that route because of the recoil and making sure they don't get "scope kissed"?

bigted
04-08-2014, 02:13 PM
naaa ... I am with you on the looks dept. the scope will mount rite on the receiver top like they were intended to ... just don't cheap out with your scope ... get a good NEW Leopold 1-4X or a 2-7X scope in the brushed silver finish with a black solid base and good set of rings and the look will {in my eye anyway} be fantastic AND useful.

those extended SCOUT scopes may be the shiz nizz but for me I just don't like the looks of them. I am used to carrying a rifle scoped and they balance rite where they should ... under the receiver.

MostlyLeverGuns
04-08-2014, 10:15 PM
A stainless rifle stays prettier. I have a couple rifles that get carried in hand a couple of times a day, walking fence, feeding horses, checking livestock, the blue wears to grey where they are carried and if it is wet, they must be wiped down and dried to prevent problems(set over a heating vent), no matter what else needs to be done. Stainless wears away to stainless and the corrosion resistance will be appreciated if your ever stuck in really bad weather for a few days. I have a Leupold Compact 2.5 on my Marlin .45-70 since 1982(?). Helps a lot in the dark timber and tough light conditions. It is just as fast as open sights and much easier to use, certainly adequate out to 300-350 yards on anything you might normally hunt with a .45-70. Eye relief is plenty when mounted where it belongs, not hanging back over the hammer.

Intel6
04-09-2014, 01:58 PM
I was in the same boat and really wanted the SBL as it had everything I wanted. I went ahead and got it and just started shooting it and I am extremely happy with it.

I will get the Leupold scout but slapped a red dot on it for now

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1885_SBL_red_dot_web.jpg

My buddy liked it so much he got one for himself, dualing SBL's!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Dual_1885_SBLs_web.jpg

TXGunNut
04-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Also, when mounting a scope, I read that some guys prefer a scout style to avoid getting "scope bit". What is the feeling on that? I know the sight on the SBL is supposed to be pretty good, might try it without a scope. -Jevyod

Don't worry about the scope bite as long as you use a long eye relief scope and a reasonable load. I have a Leupold VX-3 1.5X5 and shoot a 350 gr boolit @ about 1800; much more than that readjusts my bifocals, lol.

Groovy
05-12-2014, 02:53 AM
I was getting ready to get a Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 and I hadn't thought about it but I think a red dot would be a great choice for a short range deer/elk rifle.

Great thing about the search function to find answers without asking the same questions that were already answered.

DLCTEX
05-12-2014, 10:55 AM
My son owns the guide gun in my safe. It stays in my safe because I shoot it more than he does. The Leupold scope on it is receiver mounted and has never been a "bite" problem with any shooter, even with the 460-420 RD loaded hot.

swamp
05-13-2014, 09:30 PM
I have both a 1895 CB and the SBL. The SBL I got because a buddy bought it and didn't like it. I shot it and it felt good to me. With the long rail you can use about any scope you are comfortable with. Wasn't sure about the large loop, but I don't notice the differance now. Very handy, plenty of ammo on board, and it just looks good. What's not to like?

Not going to get rid of either one.
swamp

papayumyum
03-29-2016, 03:18 AM
I bought an 1895SBL last year an after polishing up the internals the action is smooth as glass. Get one...you won't be disappointed.

DerekP Houston
03-29-2016, 09:31 AM

Haha that's me to a T! +1

W.R.Buchanan
04-04-2016, 05:45 PM
With a little work any Marlin you buy can be turned into a joy. They don't do alot/any hand finishing on the internal parts. so some attention and deburring can go along way to making them smooth as glass.

If you goto www.leverguns.com (http://www.leverguns.com) and look in the Marlin Resources area there is a wealth of information on how to do these simple operations and I assure you that if you can work sandpaper and a file you can do them. It is pretty easy stuff.

My 1895 CB was so bad I had to rework it before I shot it the first time. I also refinished the wood as it was bland. Not a problem on a SS Laminated Wood version, but the internal work still needs to be done. They can't afford to put much time and hand work into these guns and still keep the price point, and most of them will break in eventually any way. I just prefer to break them in on the bench so I don't have to endure firing 300+ rounds of .45-70 ammo just to smooth things out. It takes less than 2 hrs.

Randy