PDA

View Full Version : oil question

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-03-2014, 10:36 AM
my questions pertains to turbine oil specifically Norvey,Inc of santa ana ca turbine oil

I was at the hardware store looking for a non detergent oil to use on air rifles and found this and bought it , we use Daisy 853 air rifles for the youth program

I haven't used it on any yet but it appears it should be safe for seals , it contains NO detergents
and says it is paraffin based, non gumming , rust and oxidation inhibited , withstands high temperature , a must for for heater blowers , it also says it is ideal for use on 1/3 to 5hp electric motors and bearings , bearings shafts and mechanical linkages.

so , for you chemist and oil guys , do you think i am safe to use this on Air rifles . I was looking for something that wasn't 6+ dollars the 1/4 ounce

it appears like it would actually be a decent general purpose gun oil also , it is if i recall 2.79 for a 4 oz bottle with a nice oiler spout. I see some posts on other forums where some aircraft mechanics say it is the only oil they use for most all their oiling needs from fishing reels to guns , and sewing machines as it is good viscosity , and cleanest oil one is likely to find and that it apparently does not hurt wood finishes

here is the MSDS http://www.bramec.com/MSDSSheets/40019.pdf

Iowa Fox
04-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Nothing but Pellgun oil for me these days. I leaned my lesson the hard way. Last I saw it was 2.99 for a small tube but you only use 1 drop on a lube point so it will last for years.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-03-2014, 11:51 AM
I bought a thing of the crossman pellet gun oil I see it for 2.89 now online for 1/4 oz I thought i paid more for it last time , any way if i had 1 gun to do it would be a near life time supply with 15-20 guns I thought some one who knows about oil would be able to say sure crossman just repackages x and charges you 12 dollars and ounce for something you can easily buy under another name for 75cents an ounce

gun oil sellers are often the biggest bunch of snake oil peddlers around put gun in the name and jack the price

oneokie
04-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Sewing machine oil is mineral oil.

MtGun44
04-03-2014, 02:48 PM
I'd worry about it oxidizing and gumming up over the longer run. I would imagine (no
expert on air rifles) that a synthetic oil which is much more resistant to long term
deterioration and turning into gummy stuff would be far better. Any of the non-synthetics
are much less stable over time.

Bill

Iowa Fox
04-03-2014, 03:21 PM
I'd worry about it oxidizing and gumming up over the longer run. I would imagine (no
expert on air rifles) that a synthetic oil which is much more resistant to long term
deterioration and turning into gummy stuff would be far better. Any of the non-synthetics
are much less stable over time.

Bill

Thats exactly what got me, oxidazation and gumming. It took a lot of years but it will happen. There are better places to save a buck than taking a chance on air gun oil.

Alstep
04-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Air rifle oil must be non-dieseling. The high compression generated in air guns may ignite the oil and diesel. That puts a lot of force on parts and could easily blow out the seals and/or damage the gun.

C.F.Plinker
04-03-2014, 03:38 PM
And here is the Crosman Pellgun oil MSDS

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf

Looks like SAE 30 nondetergent oil to me.

The manual for my Daisy 853 says to use SAE 10, SAE 20, or SAE 30 automotive motor oils and NOT to use light household type oils or spray lubricants.

These are single stroke or multi-stroke pneumatic air guns. They are not spring piston air guns which require a different lube for the compression chamber in order to avoid dieseling.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-03-2014, 07:45 PM
so i paid 2.89 or more a 1/4 oz for what i should have paid 2.89 a quart for , I figured it was probably about like that

if it took years to gumm up your air rifle it will mater little we rebuild every few years with all new seals , i have 3 to fix this year that were acting up at the end of last season

the turbine oil was very clear about being non detergent and non gumming , i found another reference that it is sae 30