PDA

View Full Version : anyone paint scopes?

nekshot
04-03-2014, 08:46 AM
I have some Brownells baking lacquer in stainless steel gray and would like the scope to match the gun. Has any one sprayed a scope with succes and how did you do it? I know baking the scope is out of the question. This is not a every day hunting tool, more of a completed project to get out every now and then and shoot.

lancem
04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Just like painting anything else, surface prep is the most important. I would use a green Scotchbright pad and scuff the surface well so the paint has a good surface to stick to. A good cleaning then to remove any oils. Masking the turrets, and the lenses, I would paint the caps separately. Degrease one more time and paint.

The hard part is how to hold it so that it isn't moving while you paint it, and being able to reach all of the surfaces while holding it. I'm also thinking that you are spraying it, I don't think a fine finish will come easily with a brush. If you don't have spray equipment disposable paint sprayers are inexpensive and work well for small projects. http://www.amazon.com/Preval-267-Spray-Gun/dp/B0000AY19M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396534401&sr=8-1&keywords=disposable+paint+sprayer You may need to thin your paint some to spray well.

Cmm_3940
04-03-2014, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't bake it.

country gent
04-03-2014, 12:01 PM
There is a slight color change after te brownells paint has been baked. It is also somewhat "soft" before it is baked to fully cure it. I havent used the stainless grey colrs but the black I have used dint have the same color, shine, finish, or toughness before being heat cured. Maybe an old piece to test it out on first?

M Hicks
04-03-2014, 12:01 PM
I'd be a little leary about baking it at 300-350 like the directions say. Some bake on finishes can be cured by using a lower temp/longer bake time process. I don't know if the Brownall's lacquer is one of them.

I have used hydrographics on a few scopes. It requires painting prior to applying the film. Just make sure it is really clean and free of any oils, grease or fingerprints. Then clean it another time or two just to make sure.

Just Duke
04-03-2014, 08:56 PM
KG Coating makes a paint that you don't have to bake on. It's so tough I tried soaking it in MEK for 24 hours and it didn't even scratch the surface.

Just Duke
04-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Do not bake your scope

koehlerrk
04-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Do not bake your scope

Good advice!

Pb2au
04-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Do not bake your scope

Good advice. I recommend broiling. It caramelizes the outside and creates a better flavor profile.

Just Duke
04-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Good advice. I recommend broiling. It caramelizes the outside and creates a better flavor profile.

Outstanding idea. Have you tried hickory chips on the Barbie?

Ehaver
04-13-2014, 11:22 PM
You could use small suction cups to hold the scope. one on each end with a dowell glued or wedged into the cup...