PDA

View Full Version : Ahem....

bravokilo
03-20-2005, 03:48 PM
I was hoping someboby would notice and fix it.... ah.... ya gots "maintenance" spelt wrong in the title here. I am used to this in emails and posts, but I can't let it slide in the title. Yeah, I know, picky people!! :roll: Sometimes I think I was a proofreader in a previous life. :D

BK

03-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow.. who could have did that. :shock:

it's fixed :)

C1PNR
03-20-2005, 05:49 PM
bk,

Looks like someone paid attention, even if they didn't say anything. :)

At one time I wrote Policy, Operations, and Technical Manuals. Had to send them to Senior Management for comment, etc.! Absolutely NO errors allowed!

A typist was assigned to me, part time. Her Supervisor asked me what my error standard was, how many typing errors per page on documents, letters, etc. When I said -0- I was told I could do my own work. :shock: Been doing it ever since.

On here I mostly overlook it, as I have been known to hit "Post" before proofreading too. :wink: And besides, who corrects a friend mid conversation? 8)

Ed Barrett
03-23-2005, 01:21 AM
I guess we have a couple of english majors and proofreaders here. <g>

C1PNR
03-23-2005, 01:42 AM
I aint no English Major! Heck, I barely made Sergeant! But I did learn to proof read my own work. :)

It was no fun when the President, CEO, and Chairman of the Board (all the same person) received a document with MY name on the bottom and something misspelled!! :shock:

beagle
03-26-2005, 12:49 AM
You're right. Don't mean nothing anyway. Sometimes I'll be writing a response and the better half issues a command and before I have time to proof read it, I've already hit the "submit" button.

Just so most of us understand the concept./beagle

44man
03-26-2005, 08:30 PM
I am from Ohio, transplanted to West Giny. Now yous kin spell stuff anyways yous wants ta. I'se kin read gud.

carpetman
03-28-2005, 02:30 PM
My spelling is actually not very good. I frequently substitute a word I can spell for one I'm not sure of the spelling. There is one word that gets spelled improperly more than correctly and that's CONSISTENT. There aint no A. Buckshot "consistantly" uses it thinking he is bugging me. He does it on purpose--he knows the difference. Two words that get misused are presently and hopefully. Presently means about to happen(not at the present time) so currently is the better choice. Some newer dictionaries will define it as at the present time. Guess it's misuse may have finally won over? Read some Mark Twain and he did use it correctly,but it sounds odd. My last boss in the Air Force had a Phd in English and was a stickler for proper grammar---he had fun correcting mine. I cant give the full explanation,but hopefully does not mean it is hoped. It is a modifier. The good doctor said that "something like--he looked hopefully into the sky was the only correct usage he could think of. When I used it,I always told him I was looking in the sky.

C1PNR
03-30-2005, 02:36 AM
Hopefully, and presently, I'll be able to figure out just what it is that CMan said! :wink:

Scrounger
03-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Hopefully, and presently, I'll be able to figure out just what it is that CMan said! :wink:

I hope not! I'd hate to see you locked in a rubber room. CarpetMan is in his own little world, and believe me, you don't want to go there...

blackthorn
04-03-2005, 12:31 PM
"presently" means "never". I know this because when I was a kid and I wanted my Grandma to do something she didn"t want to do she would always say "yes dear.....presently"!!!!!!