PDA

View Full Version : Tammy's rifle

waksupi
04-02-2014, 06:54 PM
I finished up a rifle for Tammy today, DeanD's wife. She seems happy so far!

wch
04-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Looking at the pictures tells me that she will be happy for a long, long time.
Beautiful work.

CastingFool
04-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Nice job! She'll enjoy it.

chsparkman
04-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Wow! You do beautiful work sir. Have you ever mentored anyone in the art? You could make good money by conducting week-long classes.

oldracer
04-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Great job and the finish looks like it is not over the top and will be faithful to what a shooter a long time ago would treasure! Did you buy the wood and parts from one place or gather them on your own sources. When I have built several I use Muzzleloader Builders Supply and also Pecatonica River and was very happy with both places.

waksupi
04-03-2014, 12:01 AM
I built this from Chambers parts, and once again I kick myself for using one of their pre-shaped stocks. They make a lot of extra work that shouldn't be necessary. Too much wood gone in some areas, that you have to design around.
No, I have never considered doing classes. Most people in this area interested in building guns, go ahead and do it. I don't have the patience to instruct beginners in a craft, and sure don't want strangers on my property. Although I used to instruct and lecture on other things, I very seldom did it for a group that didn't already have a very good understanding of what was being instructed. No matter what a person learns, they should tackle and grasp some of the basics first, before instruction will be of any benefit.
It was around fifteen years ago, I got home from doing a lecture tour, and found a man and woman from Sweden parked in my driveway, that had apparently been here for two days already. They had heard about what I know and can do, and wanted to learn. They were pretty sad when I ran them off, but I only had a few days before going on the road again for another month. They said they would wait until I came back! No way. Although that gal could have stuck around, if my then-wife would have been more open minded. Definitely a smoking hot Swedish babe!

Col4570
04-03-2014, 03:08 AM
When I see work like that I am filled with admiration of the skills developed by those who have an absolute affinity with tools and craftsmanship.Nice rifle sir.

Hanshi
04-03-2014, 12:21 PM
That is a beautiful rifle, Waksupi.

smokeywolf
04-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Beautiful work Ric. Now we just need some pics of it being shot.

The Swedish gal, smokin' hot as in 60s Noxema commercial "take it off" girl hot?

smokeywolf

Rick Hodges
04-03-2014, 01:11 PM
What a beautiful rifle, only one mistake.....the lock is on the wrong side for a lefty like me. :kidding:
Nice.

DeanWinchester
04-03-2014, 01:22 PM
VERY nice! I really like the stock work on that one. I don't even like muzzle loaders LOL! :kidding:

SSGOldfart
04-03-2014, 01:27 PM
That not just a rifle, it's a work of ART great job:grin:

chsparkman
04-03-2014, 01:56 PM
I built this from Chambers parts, and once again I kick myself for using one of their pre-shaped stocks. They make a lot of extra work that shouldn't be necessary. Too much wood gone in some areas, that you have to design around.
No, I have never considered doing classes. Most people in this area interested in building guns, go ahead and do it. I don't have the patience to instruct beginners in a craft, and sure don't want strangers on my property. Although I used to instruct and lecture on other things, I very seldom did it for a group that didn't already have a very good understanding of what was being instructed. No matter what a person learns, they should tackle and grasp some of the basics first, before instruction will be of any benefit.
It was around fifteen years ago, I got home from doing a lecture tour, and found a man and woman from Sweden parked in my driveway, that had apparently been here for two days already. They had heard about what I know and can do, and wanted to learn. They were pretty sad when I ran them off, but I only had a few days before going on the road again for another month. They said they would wait until I came back! No way. Although that gal could have stuck around, if my then-wife would have been more open minded. Definitely a smoking hot Swedish babe!

Of course I understand, but I would sure like to do something like that someday with some master craftsman. I spent a week once in a shop on the Shenandoah with a master bamboo fly rod maker. During that week, under his close guidance, I built my first bamboo rod. I could have learned on my own, but that week advanced my skills by probably 18 months.

Dean D.
04-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Of course I understand, but I would sure like to do something like that someday with some master craftsman. I spent a week once in a shop on the Shenandoah with a master bamboo fly rod maker. During that week, under his close guidance, I built my first bamboo rod. I could have learned on my own, but that week advanced my skills by probably 18 months.

I believe there are classes offered in your general area at various times chsparkman. Check over at ALR, you may be able to find out more on when they are usually offered and where. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

Dean D.
04-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Tammy and I can't wait to see the rifle in person, we'll be heading over to pick it up in a bit over a week from now. From the pictures I have to say Ric has outdone himself once again. If you are looking to have a rifle built there is no one I can more highly recommend than Ric. I own one of his early rifles and now Tammy will have hers, life is good!

swheeler
04-03-2014, 07:30 PM
That is very nice, what caliber?

waksupi
04-03-2014, 07:39 PM
It's a .50.

BD
04-03-2014, 08:32 PM
That is a beautiful rifle!

swheeler
04-03-2014, 08:47 PM
It looks very nice and I'm sure will give many years of pleasure, hope it makes meat too.

M-Tecs
04-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Outstanding work. Tammy is a very lucky lady.

Pb2au
04-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Very beautiful. I love the lines.
Is the bird inlay a swallow? Very classy.

waksupi
04-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Very beautiful. I love the lines.
Is the bird inlay a swallow? Very classy.

Yes, it's a swallow. Tammy sent me her coat of arms, and wanted some of the elements included in the design. This rifle only has a 11" LOP, so that is a pretty small area to work on. The full COA was out of the question, so I took a main element to use.

Pb2au
04-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks Waksupi for sharing this. I am sure she will love it.

nekshot
04-07-2014, 09:58 PM
just took a peep at your thread and Wow, that is nice! Some folk have it and the rest of us try!!

gon2shoot
04-08-2014, 07:17 AM
But how does it shoot?

waksupi
04-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Five shots.

But how does it shoot?

gon2shoot
04-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Waiting to see Tammy's pic that actually puts them in the white [smilie=1:

waksupi
04-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Waiting to see Tammy's pic that actually puts them in the white [smilie=1:

I couldn't sight it too close, being a 11" LOP. Everyone sees sights different, had to leave something for her and Dean to play with.

Good Cheer
04-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Pretty rifle! Would be glad to be in the same room!

waksupi
04-13-2014, 12:02 PM

Ajax
04-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Awesome. she look ecstatic with it.

Andy

oneokie
04-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Watch out Dean, she's packin'.

Dean D.
04-17-2014, 03:40 AM
Watch out Dean, she's packin'.