PDA

View Full Version : Lead at plant

shooterbob
04-02-2014, 03:56 PM
So I can get what the guy called soft lead for 1.00/lb and ww for .60/lb.
I'm new to casting and don't even have a pot yet, but wanted to check availability. Is this the norm and what kind of lead can I expect? Also can someone explain Coww and Soww ?

Pb2au
04-02-2014, 04:02 PM
COWW= clip on wheel weight.
SOWW= Stick on wheel weight.
The clip on variety tends to be harder than the stick on.

As for pricing, cruise over to the swapping and selling section and see what the kids over there are selling them for.
Wheel weights in general are getting harder to come by, but if you are diligent, you can scoop some up. If you don't like your co-workers, take some pliers to work and go mining in the parking lot.
The management does not endorse or condone the theft of co-workers wheel weights. It is extremely dangerous to attempt to do so at high speeds.

shooterbob
04-02-2014, 04:12 PM
I can't believe it was that simple. I was thinking of silver solder wheel weights after smelted and all kinds of different terms. Lol
Thanks

Pb2au
04-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Glad i could help.
Keep it simple!

Walter Laich
04-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Another area to check are the scrap yards in your area. In our area we have them that will trade even a 5 gallon bullet of brass cases for an equal amount of lead. Have to process the lead and of course we lose some weight to the junk in the bucket but still a source for us.

runfiverun
04-02-2014, 07:51 PM
make sure to check the ww's to be sure they are lead and not the steel/zinc ones that are more common than the lead ones are now.
if the soft lead is in sheets I'd grab as much as I could get.

GP100man
04-02-2014, 11:02 PM
I know for a fact gettin em from wal-mart shoppers leaves em unhappy !!!!

zuke
04-03-2014, 07:13 AM
I know for a fact gettin em from wal-mart shoppers leaves em unhappy !!!!

That right there is funny!!