PDA

View Full Version : tumbler motor replacement

mold maker
04-02-2014, 02:00 PM
I have 4 dead tumblers with the same motor in each. They are from the same source, and they only offer to replace the whole tumblers with a cheaper one for $25. ea.
Does anyone have a source for these cheap made motors?
It's a shame to replace the whole unit, when it's a 4 screw fix.

CastingFool
04-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Do the motors have any kind of numbers on them? If so, they are most likely original manufacturers numbers, and you may be able to either locate an original or a replacement motor. The other option would be to remove one of the motors and take it to an electric motor repair shop, so they can find a replacement.

Wally
04-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Will they run if you plug them in and give the fan (carefully) a spin? My Midway Frankford Arsenal acts up and that's what I do...

dbosman
04-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Are they record player or fan type motors with oiled felt bearings?
Some, but not all, of those can be re-oiled.

Wally
04-02-2014, 03:44 PM
I have had issues w/ small electric motors...if they are not burnt with no burnt smell to them clean them and oil both bearings...every-time that I have done so, they worked again. The fine dust from the tumbler gets into the motor and causes it to "lock" up.

Are they record player or fan type motors with oiled felt bearings?
Some, but not all, of those can be re-oiled.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-03-2014, 03:46 AM
All good advice above, what brand is the tumbler?

runfiverun
04-03-2014, 12:34 PM
I dunno if 25 bucks is all that bad.
by the time you buy a new motor and have it shipped to you you're probably gonna be in that price range anyway.

dilly
04-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Most people give up on a product after the first 3 fail. Why such brand loyalty?

DukeInFlorida
04-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Here's my two cents worth.

Vibratory tumblers work by spinning a motor with an OFFSET weight attached to the spindle. The cheap motors use a BRONZE bushing for the spindles. They quickly wear an egg shaped pattern in the bronze, eventually allowing the armature (central part of the motor) to come in contact with the commutator (outside part of the motor), which causes the electromagnet created to stick to the side of the commutator, and HUMmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Buying the same tumbler over and over and over again doesn't make any economic sense whatsoever.... You've already invested as much $$$ as you would have buying a GOOD brand of tumbler.

The Dillon brand uses ball bearings for the spindles, and virtually never wear out. If you somehow manage to wear out the ball bearings, the ball bearing assemblies are readily available at lots of places, including Grainger. And, the ball bearing assemblies are MUCH cheaper than a new motor.

So, save yourself the ongoing aggravation, and buy a Dillon. They make two sizes. I have one of each, and use the **** out of them. They have never let me down.

I did have a previous Dillon Model CV500 tumbler, which they no longer make. It also had a bronze bushing set for the motor spindle. It wore out the bronze bushings. I sent it back to them, and for $35, they upgraded the CV500 to a Model CV750! With ball bearings.... BTW, the CV750 model has the same motor as the larger CV2001 model.

BTW, in case anyone was wondering, the proper way to load the tumbler, any tumbler, is to dump the media out of it, completely. And, fill 1/2 full with brass. And, then put the media in on top. 1/2 full is the proper amount of brass for any tumbler. Less brass than that takes too long to clean the brass, and more brass than that will overwork the tumbler. Use the capful of NuFinish car polish and mineral spirits, and in 2 hours you will have shiny jewelry brass. Maybe part of some of the problems people have is that they underload the tumbler, and run it for 12 hours straight.....

SSGOldfart
04-03-2014, 01:03 PM
I have asidewinder that is a 84 model still runs great which motor are you looking for? I need a new tumbler barrel myself??:wink:

Steve Steven
04-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Put a replacement motor on. Here's one from Surplus Center, $6.99.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/AC-Motors/Fan-Air-Conditioner-Motors/1550-RPM-115-VAC-FAN-MOTOR-10-2614.axd

Steve

fryboy
04-03-2014, 09:29 PM
some old fart fan motors used to be a direct fit ,newer ones have a smaller shaft requiring a different fan and counterweight , the actual replacement ones can be found at grainger ( and prolly a few other places ) they cost about as much as a new tumbler ( for a good motor anyways ) lyman's base is close to the same price ...plus it has a cord etc already attached ( add a bowl n go ) it's what i did to my old midway one ( that one btw lasted longer than some "name brands" that i sold when i got back from the factory/refurb shop )
there's a old thread on here some where with the correct part #'s posted

44Vaquero
04-04-2014, 03:46 PM
OK! Correct me if I am wrong. The OP has never been back on and posted what type of Tumblers he is talking about, Right?

GBertolet
04-04-2014, 06:34 PM
DukeInFlorida, How long ago did you contact Dillon? My CV-500 died twice. First time a motor was $35, which was OK, second time they wanted $105. This was about a year ago. Their explanation was they made a poor choice on their first motor. They learned it was inadequate, and not up to the job. In my mind this is more than just a simple one year warranty issue. Their choice of new motor is the same one used in the CV-1000. I wasn't going to pay that extorted amount for their bad choice of motors. I bought a Lyman tumbler for $42 instead. Runs great so far. Lyman actually has replacement parts for their tumblers available online.

I was sort of hoping Dillon had a change of heart on backing their product, and give their CV-500 customers a break. I still would love the get my CV-500 repaired, but not for $105.

wv109323
04-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Not to long ago I had to replace the motor on my TT Ultra-Vibe 18. The direct replacement motor was a proprietary to them. The standard motor had bronze bushings. They would not handle thrust. The motor was mounted vertical and over the years the weight of the rotor allowed the end play to wear to the point that the rotor poled. Their professional motor had bearings but was much more expensive.

LouB
04-05-2014, 11:43 PM
WV109323 -
My Ultra-Vibe 18 is over 30 yrs old and still on the orig motor. Not sure how much life is left in it. What kind of prices did you find for the orig replacement and the upgraded "professional" replacement motor??

THX
LouB

mfraser264
04-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Steve Steven, I have basically the same motor in order to upgrade the 30 year old tumbler. It runs HOT. Solution, built a board for the rig and mounted a inexpensive fan that is tied in with a switch and it is running fine. Without secondary cooling these motors will never last. Looking beyond this I am considering the Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler. My motor was $35 on Ebay. I see Thumbler is now making a industrial grade. Still say the FA is better for the long run.

M-Tecs
04-14-2014, 08:32 PM
I get most of my motors from https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

GunFun
08-18-2015, 06:57 PM
I am thinking of getting this motor: http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/AC-Motors/Fan-Air-Conditioner-Motors/3290-RPM-115-VAC-FAN-MOTOR-10-2840.axd

$9 3290 RPM (I think the dilly motor was 3K so this is closest in category)

I will fold a piece of sheet metal into a U shape (with serifs) to make a mounting bracket so that the shaft can point down. I can use the original dillon weight/fan dealie.

Any reason why this shouldn't work?

Also, There are a surplus of threads out there, but this seems to be the only one with actual useful information.

Thanks.

GunFun
08-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Also, any advice about this part? Requires 4 mfd 370 VAC capacitor (not included). Sealed ball bearings.

It looks like they are $2 http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Capacitors/Motor-Run-Capacitors/4-MFD-370-VAC-RUN-CAPACITOR-22-1102.axd

I would appreciate anyone's input on a proper wiring diagram. I've also asked the techs at surplus center, since the website doesn't display tech sheets. I'll put what I find here.

calgunner
08-21-2015, 02:28 PM
GunFun,
The wiring diagram is on the motor label. The two yellow wires connect to the capacitor with blue & brown as line voltage & green for ground, Bruce.

GunFun
08-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Thanks. You have sharper eyes than mine.

I've wired up big motors by following the charts under the lid.

I will buy a couple of these then and refurb my dillon and also a dead baby raytech I was just given.

salpal48
08-22-2015, 02:43 PM
The problem With Reloading Tumbler Is That There Cheaply made. . There not expensive and Made to reorder again and again. . Motors are not Continuos Running and parts are Home owner Grade
. In Rock tumbling Circles, One of the Best Vibrators are from Rayteck industries . In rotary ., it's lortone ,Covington, Diamond Pacific. Most if not all will Be good for 20 years . have several Lortone 12 LB. . They never Break
If they will Tumble Rock for Days . Cases are apiece of cake. There not Cheap.

GunFun
08-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Raytech seems to have been bought out by Lyman.

The particular model I was given seems to be their consumer grade tiny model and was definitely built down to a price. Both are bronze bushing type motors, and the dillon motor physically cracked at the zamac braketry which holds the commutator.

I'm well aware of industrial machines, but I don't have the industrial grade $$$ or the place to keep as big a machine as some of those are. The machines I have are nice thick soft plastic that isn't loud, but the motors failed. I think I can replace the motors every few years and have a better machine than they were to start with. The motor I linked above has ball bearings, so it might even survive a while. A lot of people had this particular dillon tumbler die, and would be glad to just spend $10-50 on a solid motor and be back in business. Other than the motor, it is a quiet, solidly made pieces of kit with good dust seals. It is a convenient size for reloading too.

GunFun
08-22-2015, 04:13 PM
On a semi-related note, there are a lot of these tumblers out there. I would be quite happy to pick them up dead and put new motors if this motor works well. It would be convenient to have several of these for different tasks. One for dirty brass, another to apply polish. 3 more for putting different colors of powder coat on cast bullets.

salpal48
08-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Everyone seems to Have there Own Opinion . I For One don't like to Replace things.. In todays Disposable world Co. want you to buy , buy, buy. Dump for Next years new stuff.
Over the years The Old Motto still haunts You. Cheap you buy, cheap you get. Cheap things aren't good , good things aren.t cheap

opos
08-23-2015, 08:54 AM
I guess I complicate things to save money..just old and cheap that way...I decap all brass...give it 10 minute bath in a citrus bath...let it dry well and tumble for about an hour instead of 4...makes everything clean in and out and saves wear and tear and I don't get dust all over everything...My Lyman tumbler has never had a hiccup

salpal48
08-23-2015, 11:59 AM
I have No complaints with any of them. is all a matter of what you like and can afford to pay. . Not to get off the topic. It's just the Poor quality of Most products Imported. At one Time we made it Good , now we make it Cheap. for the economy
Sal